Japanese Culture

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Japanese Culture

Unread postby GuanYu » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:29 pm

I'm interested in the Japanese Culture, can anyone tell me about it? how about the ninjas or the samiri?
GuanYu
Langzhong

Re: Japanese Culture

Unread postby Kong Wen » Fri Aug 01, 2003 3:45 pm

GuanYu wrote:I'm interested in the Japanese Culture, can anyone tell me about it? how about the ninjas or the samiri?

I'm sure that tons and tons of books have been written on the subject. Check out Musashi's Book of Five Rings.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Antiochus » Sat Aug 16, 2003 12:39 am

The Japanese culture is comparable to the chinese on some point since they copied each other but they had many differences that can be seen in many book on the subject.
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Omega52 » Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:54 pm

Well I can tell you a few things. First theres the story of Ishikawa Goemon, a thief from Japans history. This story is not proven true, or proven false, it is a legend of a man that goes like this. Legends say Goemon may have came from Iga, the district famous for its many ninja. Others say he was a Samurai, but beyond all of this he went to Kyoto to train. He was kind of like the robin hood of Japan because he stole from the rich and gave to the poor. He wqas even said to have robbed the heavily fortified Edo Castle. He had an assistant nicknamed Nezumi Kozo (rat boy). They say Kozo stole 3,121.2 ryo. 1 ryo is about 80,000 yen so thats a total of 249,696,000 yen! According to the story he was executed in 1594 by king Toyotomi Hideyoshi. He broke in to kill the unjust ruler but it was said there was a mystical incense burner that sounded when an enemy approached, it sounded and Goemon was caught. He told the King that he was the robber that stole the country and he was giving it back and on August 23 Goemon and his family(children too) were thrown into a pot of boiling oil.

An interesting tale

In 1336 the first shoguns appeared and samurai started to rule japan
In the mid 1800's a modernizing government (Mieji) appeared and had started to restrict the powers of the shogunate. This of course did not please the samurai and eventually caused the Seinan war. It was here the mighty Samurai were defeated. They were no match for Miejis Ninjas and new weapons, such as Gatling guns. The Mieji government then took over Japan, Japan was industrialized, but what happened to the Mieji? They no longer exist, dissapeared without a trace? Hardly. Those Mieji were the very same that bombed pearl harbor. It was until the end of World war two that they ruled.

A little info on ninjas ]
A Ninja is like a dishonorable Samurai. Normally when a Samurai loses his master he performs Sepaku. This is when the subject thrusts his sword through his chest and another cuts his head off. Some choose not to perform Sepaku, These become the Ronins, wanderers and Ninjas. The Ninjas usually ended up working for clans and emperors for money and this is dishonorable.

Well enough about all that if you want to know more stuff ask me I'm glad to educate you.
"I mistrust the judgement of every man in a case in which his own wishes are concerned."- Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley
Omega52
Scholar of Shen Zhou

samurai

Unread postby hiko1127 » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:49 am

Hello you wrote (It was here the mighty Samurai were defeated. They were no match for Miejis Ninjas and new weapons, such as Gatling guns) This may not be true but I read in a book on samurai that the last were a relativly even match for an army but still lost.
A ship is safe in a harbor but that isn't what a ship is built for.
hiko1127
Tyro

Unread postby Omega52 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:02 pm

There was a match but there were far too few Samurai to put up a good fight

Another interesting thing is the harsh Hara Kiri Seppaku
In this the samurai would cut a long slit across his belly to "release his spirit" In later years it was modified so a second would decapitate him imediately after cutting.

Please ask away

P.S. read this quote I got from this site http://www.shaolin-society.co.uk/shaoli ... history=13

"The Wei Chih, a chronicle of the events of the Wei Dynatsy in northern China (founded by the Emperor Cao Cao in 220 AD), provides us with an interesting and evidently faithful outside impression of the developing Yamato peoples as of around 297 AD…"

"
"I mistrust the judgement of every man in a case in which his own wishes are concerned."- Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley
Omega52
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rhiannon » Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:05 am

If anyone wants to know more about the Geisha (and their counterparts, the courtesans), I recommend the Immortal Geisha and Caged Birds.

I thought I had more links, but I guess not. :?
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby SesshomaruTenseiga » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:57 am

I was actually looking for a good book on the Samurai. I found one, It is appropriatly called "The Samurai" However, I wasn't prepared to spend $40 on a book I would more than likely read once, and forget about. It's at Waldenbooks if anyone is interested.
It's a now nothing.
SesshomaruTenseiga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Pi » Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:35 pm

Omega52 wrote:A little info on ninjas ]
A Ninja is like a dishonorable Samurai. Normally when a Samurai loses his master he performs Sepaku. This is when the subject thrusts his sword through his chest and another cuts his head off. Some choose not to perform Sepaku, These become the Ronins, wanderers and Ninjas. The Ninjas usually ended up working for clans and emperors for money and this is dishonorable.

Interesting. I always thought that Ninja's where trained as assassins and that they were not Ronin. Oh well i'm probably wrong.
"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one." - James A. Froude
Liu Pi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mike » Sun Aug 08, 2004 6:40 pm

Omega52 wrote:A little info on ninjas ]

I thought seppuku involved thrusting the sword into your chest, slowly cutting across your stomach, and then the person behind you would cut your head off. Also, wouldn't the person behind you cut your head off if you hesitated??
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy