Books on Chinese literature, history, and strategy.

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Carp's Tail » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:44 pm

If your book contains Sun Zi's "Art of War", Sun Bin's "Military Methods", and Zhuge Liang's "Mastering", then I might still be interested in it nevertheless.

Does any one else know if "The Lost Art of War" in Cleary's book is the same as the "Military Methods"?
Engage in combat fully determined to die and you will be alive; wish to survive in the battle and you will surely meet death.
-- Uesugi Kenshin
Carp's Tail
征夷大將軍

Unread postby Tyler » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:36 am

Some time ago I downloaded the Art of War and the Way of the General here at kongming's archives. I also downloaded The book of changes from somewhere. Does any one know of any other sites where you can download chinesse lititure?
Tyler
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Song Jiang » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:35 am

well i made this a topic, it seems to be gettin attention, so ill post it here too. Does anyone know where to find the books by Andrew Plaks. Also, the water margin/outlaws of the marsh it a lot of fun to read. And a dream of red masnions, though not about war is terrific as well.
Song Jiang
Initiate

Unread postby KingofWei&Wu » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:47 am

does anyone know if there is a more accurate english translation of Sanguo Zhi than Empresses and Consorts?
So much the stronger proved
He with his thunder: and till then who knew
The force of those dire arms? yet not for those,
Nor what the potent victor in his rage
Can else inflict, do I repent or change
KingofWei&Wu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:21 am

If you mean more complete, then no. That, and the various translated sections that appear on KMA (and some other sites) are all we have right now.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby _Zhuge_Jin_ » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:33 pm

I believe that the # 1 book on Chinese history is Romance of the Three Kingdoms. It (at least the Brewitt Taylor Edition) is written in beautiful form and is very informative about events occuring during a 100 year span from 180-280. It is commonly known that it is Shu bias, but every book or article has at least on piece of bias information in it. It just sticks out more when there's 1,255 (or whatever) pages in a book because there are more bias moments.
_Zhuge_Jin_
Assistant

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:12 am

As excellent a book Romance of the Three Kingdoms is, it should be noted that it is not an acceptable historical source. It is nothing more than a piece of literature, in the historical-epic or historical-novel genre.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby _Zhuge_Jin_ » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:46 pm

Yes, It's about 30% fiction and a lot of the book can't be used as accurate facts. But I think that it is the best book for someone interested in the subject of Ancient Chinese Literature.
_Zhuge_Jin_
Assistant

Unread postby BobPalindrome » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:06 pm

Eh... I would say Dream of Red Mansion is widely considered the best classic novel of China. Whereas Romance of Three Kingdoms, Journey to the West and Outlaws of the Marsh are a good deal of fantasy and legend, Dream of Red Mansion actually deals with real people in a real period of time, and explores emotion, family and other more relevant topics. Of course, it's also incredibly long and rather dull to read, whereas the other books I just named are long but much more exciting.
"It is largely left to [Life's] own natural bodily perfection, and she has no special need to resort to artificial coloring and powdering to look beautiful." - Takeda Shingen, on his deathbed
BobPalindrome
Apprentice

Unread postby _Zhuge_Jin_ » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:41 pm

BobPalindrome wrote:Eh... I would say Dream of Red Mansion is widely considered the best classic novel of China. Whereas Romance of Three Kingdoms, Journey to the West and Outlaws of the Marsh are a good deal of fantasy and legend, Dream of Red Mansion actually deals with real people in a real period of time, and explores emotion, family and other more relevant topics. Of course, it's also incredibly long and rather dull to read, whereas the other books I just named are long but much more exciting.

Romance of the three kingdoms deals with real people in a real time period and DEFINATELY with emotion, so I don't get your foundation on those comments. And there is fictional moments, but it DOES deal with...
real people
peal places
emotion
_Zhuge_Jin_
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy