Books on Chinese literature, history, and strategy.

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:32 pm

Jiang Qin wrote::?: anyone here knows where to get the translated version of "She Diao Ying Xiong Zhuan" by Jin Yong?

I'm unaware of She Diao in translated form. The only Jin Yong novel that I know is available in English is "The Deer and the Cauldron" (translated by John Minford)--the last book is finally out (after years of waiting!). It is a very fluid translation, retaining much of the humour from the original Chinese. I've enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed the Chinese version. "The Book and the Sword" is also coming out in English. That's all the translated Louis Cha I know...

Has anyone here read Legends of the Warring States: Persuasions, Romances, and Stories from Chan-Kuo Tse (Michigan Monographs in Chinese Studies, 83) by J.I. Crump? I was browsing through it in the library the other day, and I found it quite a good translation. The Zhan Guo Ce was a collection of stories from the Warring States period (403-221BC) which have formed an integral part of the Chinese literary tradition. The stories and the rhetoric are constantly alluded to in later literature, and today in the form of proverbs and idiomatic sayings. Crump had done a complete translation of the book way back around 1970 (I think?), but this modern translation of his, though abridged and not as literal, is more readable.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:00 pm

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Journey to the West....

Anyway.

Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en.

This novel relates to the adventures of a Tang Dynasty (618-907) priest Sanzang, and his three Disciples; Monkey, Pig, and Friar Sand, as they travel west to India in to retrieve Buddhist Sutra.

My favourite novel.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Writings of Cao Cao and Sima Yi

Unread postby Valshier » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:40 am

Does anyone know if it is possible to find any writings of Cao Cao or Sima Yi? I know Cao Cao wrote the Treatise of Mengde, yet I don't know if there is a copy in existance.
Valshier
Initiate

Re: Writings of Cao Cao and Sima Yi

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:05 am

Valshier wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to find any writings of Cao Cao or Sima Yi? I know Cao Cao wrote the Treatise of Mengde, yet I don't know if there is a copy in existance.

Apparently the hard copy was burnt, I can find no other information on it.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Re: Writings of Cao Cao and Sima Yi

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:14 pm

Valshier wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to find any writings of Cao Cao or Sima Yi? I know Cao Cao wrote the Treatise of Mengde, yet I don't know if there is a copy in existance.

Probably the closest thing to reading Cao Cao you're going to find is his commentary on Sun Tzu's Art of War. There is a version of the Art of War that contains a complete batch of classical commentaries, and Cao Cao's is one of them. Still, among the commentaries, his is one of the more esoteric.

Anyway, the version of Art of War I am talking about is translated by Thomas Cleary, published by Shambhala, 2002. It's called The Art of War: Complete Texts and Commentaries. It also contains Zhuge Liang's "Way of the General."
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Shinsengumi » Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:43 am

There's a book called The Book of Fire and Water, I believe. It discusses employing incindiary and aquatic tactis in battle. I can't recall the author, though. An interesting book for anyone interested in strategy.
Shinsengumi
Tyro

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:45 am

I'm looking for a good translation and "neutral" annotated translations of The Analects, Tao Te Ching (Dao De Jing/Lao Tzu) and Chuang Tzu (Zhuang Zi). I only have James Legge's translation of the Four Books (including the analects) and fragments of the latter two in Sources of Chinese Tradition. I'm wary of Tao Te Ching/Chuang Tzu translations that are done with a New Age twist, so if anyone can point me to a good, solid, academic edition, it'd be appreciated. :D
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:40 pm

My translation of Zhuang Zi seems very competent and "neutral." It's not heavily annotated, but contains an extensive introduction, and mini-introductions for each chapter.

Wandering on the Way: Early Taoist Tales and Parables of Chuang Tzu. Trans. Victor H. Mair. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1998.

Good luck finding any neutral translation of the oft-mutilated Tao Te Ching. If you do, let me know.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Carp's Tail » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:53 pm

I'm lining up some books to be bought, and I'm particularly interested in getting a copy of Sun Bin's Military Methods. The problem is that there seems to be several books available, but I don't know if they are the same texts (but simply using different titles).

1. Sun Pin: Military Methods of the Art of War (Ralph Sawyer), ISBN 1586636081

versus

2. Sun Bin: The Art of Warfare: A Translation of the Classic Chinese Work of Philosophy and Strategy (D.C. Lau), ISBN 0791454967

I'm not overly concerned about Wade-Giles versus Pinyin romanization (I already have the Sawyer translation of Sun Tzu, with the red book jacket). However, I wonder if one is "superior" to another, plus pricing plays a role...
Engage in combat fully determined to die and you will be alive; wish to survive in the battle and you will surely meet death.
-- Uesugi Kenshin
Carp's Tail
征夷大將軍

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:01 pm

I don't know if it's the same work, but my copy of The Art of War: Complete Texts and Commentaries contains what Cleary calls "The Lost Art of War" by Sun Bin. It is generally quite a good edition of the text; I don't have another version to compare it to, but I couldn't detect any obvious flaws in this one.

The only thing is, if you already have an Art of War and the extra text stuff, getting this book might be overkill for you, as it contains the Art of War with a bunch of running commentary and Mastering the Art of War.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy