Books on Chinese literature, history, and strategy.

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: Books on Chinese literature, history, and strategy.

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:09 pm

Sean wrote:Does anyone know if an English translation of the Condor Heroes trilogy exists? I have no interest (not to mention the lack of knowledge) to read it in Chinese. If there are no English translations...I guess I'll just watch the TV series.

No, but Book and the Sword as well as The Deer and the Cauldron have both been translated, and superbly so too. Except it's impossible to find a copy of the 3rd volume of Deer.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Aristoteles_Londinii » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:32 pm

Apologies if a request of this sort has been received before or if this the wrong thread for this, but I was wondering if SSZ's literary experts could help me on something. Basically, I'm in the market for a copy of Journey to the West. Could anyone here advise me on the best translation/edition to buy? Preferably one found on Amazon, since that's where it'll be bought, most likely.

Thanks in advance.
A cookie to the first person who correctly translates my user name. 10 cookies and my undying admiration to the first person to recognise my avatar.
Aristoteles_Londinii
Tyro

Unread postby Shu Ryorin » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:44 pm

Aristoteles_Londinii wrote:Apologies if a request of this sort has been received before or if this the wrong thread for this, but I was wondering if SSZ's literary experts could help me on something. Basically, I'm in the market for a copy of Journey to the West. Could anyone here advise me on the best translation/edition to buy? Preferably one found on Amazon, since that's where it'll be bought, most likely.

Thanks in advance.

Well, this is the version my brother has: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/711901 ... 7119016636

I haven't read it myself, but the publisher has a lovely edition of SGYY I'm rather fond of. Has anyone else seen this edition and have any opinions of it or the translator W.J.F. Jenner?

I've been reading the book Mao: The Unknown Story by Jung Chang and Jon Halliday for my class on modern Chinese history. Has anyone else here read it and do any of you have opinions on it? I know it has a quite evident bias and some of the sources are hard to track down.

Edit: Oh, what do you know, an entire thread about the book. Alrighty then! :pika:
Last edited by Shu Ryorin on Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Only dummies call people dummy, dummy!"
-some fairy in "Breath of Fire III"

Grad school is hard, you guys.
Shu Ryorin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Canada, wandering the less-frozen-than-Alaska-but-still-cold wastes of grad school

Unread postby agga » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:37 am

has anyone seen an online english translation of Shen Kuo's "Dream Pool Essays"?

i read the excerpts on Wikipedia and want some more. i guess i could go to the library, but...
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cherry Coke » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:36 am

I posted this in the read a good book thread and may as well add this here. If you want a great book with lots of info without being overly long, one thats pretty easy if not easy to read, and covers the Three kingdoms and the rest of the age of division I reccomend Mark Lewis' China Between the Empires: Northern and Southern Dynasties. It is wonderful!! Seriously you have to read it.
Live, Love, Laugh, Believe, Dream
Cherry Coke
Apprentice

Unread postby rsetiawan » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:53 am

I have 36 stratagems with various historical and practical/daily application by gao yuan, very good book, not volumious, but enjoyable and easy to understand..
got 3 kind of sun tzu translation, one i=with several commentaries (including a few cao2 commentaries) plus a comic by tsai chih chung which is very good and make the book easily memorable.... :D
got one sun pin bing fa translation by thomas cleary, it is more technical than sun zu which is very general. it mention says, type of city location that make good defence and that is not and such

btw im curious about fengshen yanyi...anyone could recommend good english translation of the book ?
rsetiawan
Initiate

Re:

Unread postby rsetiawan » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:56 am

nerazzurri wrote:you can get zhuge liang's "mastering the art of war" off amazon, he expands on Sun Tzu's thoughts and its a decent read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mastering-Art-W ... 808&sr=8-4

is that the same with way of general which said to be fake ?
the title mastering art of war not necessarily based on sun tzu isn it ?
rsetiawan
Initiate

Unread postby Apollo Kenobi » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:30 am

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a military treatise called the wojijing. Does anyone have any idea if any pdf or ebook or a site can be found where I can read it?? Thanks!!

P.S. About the wojijing: http://www.chinaknowledge.de/Literature/Diverse/wojijing.html
Apollo Kenobi
Tyro

Unread postby danieltubau » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:42 pm

Apollo Kenobi wrote:Hi everyone. I'm looking for a military treatise called the wojijing. Does anyone have any idea if any pdf or ebook or a site can be found where I can read it?? Thanks!!

P.S. About the wojijing: http://www.chinaknowledge.de/Literature/Diverse/wojijing.html

Hi, Apollo. I am looking for that book, but I can't find. Did you found the book or know something more? I think that there is a chinese edition but I am searching in english

Thaks!
danieltubau
Tyro

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy