Homework Help Thread

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:44 pm

WuLordoftheNewAge wrote:Oh... Sorry. :oops:

5 Pages, 10th grade, and it's about The Sanguo period, as well as it's later effects (Things that it inspired, caused... SGYY and DW mainly)

That's a lot of stuff to put in a 5-page paper, and it'll be challenging since you wont' have access to a lot of information in English. The 3K period inspired a lot of things in between then and now (literature and culture in China and other East Asian nations), but it'll be difficult for you to talk about them in any coherent sense due to the lack of sources.

If I were you, I'd write 2 pages or so summarizing the history, using Prof de Crespigny's stuff primarily (see if you can dig up a copy of Cutter and Crowell's Empresses and Consorts, just to have a different name to cite). If you have Moss Roberts' translation you can also use his historical notes.

Make sure you're writing your own version, and referencing people where credit is due, rather than copying what they've said!

Then I'd spend about a page describing 3k-related stuff available in English (novel translations, games, etc.). After that, I'd discuss why I think there is interest in the West for such stuff, even though it's ancient history and the names are weird and all that. What makes people interested in the 3k? What made you interested? What happens when people are hooked (like, they go and try to research more history, etc.)?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby English_Druid » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:41 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Try some of the South Pacific island nations---many of them are dependent on just tourism or just off-shore banking or something like that.

Ooooh tourism, I didn't think of that. Thanks Lady Wu!
But no one dies in the right place
Or in the right hour
And everyone dies sooner than his time
And before he reaches home.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Unread postby iPodoftheNewAge » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:23 pm

Lady Wu wrote:
WuLordoftheNewAge wrote:Oh... Sorry. :oops:

5 Pages, 10th grade, and it's about The Sanguo period, as well as it's later effects (Things that it inspired, caused... SGYY and DW mainly)

That's a lot of stuff to put in a 5-page paper, and it'll be challenging since you wont' have access to a lot of information in English. The 3K period inspired a lot of things in between then and now (literature and culture in China and other East Asian nations), but it'll be difficult for you to talk about them in any coherent sense due to the lack of sources.

If I were you, I'd write 2 pages or so summarizing the history, using Prof de Crespigny's stuff primarily (see if you can dig up a copy of Cutter and Crowell's Empresses and Consorts, just to have a different name to cite). If you have Moss Roberts' translation you can also use his historical notes.

Make sure you're writing your own version, and referencing people where credit is due, rather than copying what they've said!

Then I'd spend about a page describing 3k-related stuff available in English (novel translations, games, etc.). After that, I'd discuss why I think there is interest in the West for such stuff, even though it's ancient history and the names are weird and all that. What makes people interested in the 3k? What made you interested? What happens when people are hooked (like, they go and try to research more history, etc.)?

Thanks Lady Wu, that was my basic plan, save for the last paragraph, but this was some reinforcement!

Also, what is Empresses and Consorts?
I am the WuLordofthenewAge... I don't just act like him.
iPodoftheNewAge
Tyro

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:21 pm

iPodoftheNewAge wrote:Also, what is Empresses and Consorts?

This isn't much, but E&C is a collection of translations of the bios of the women in SGZ. I know you're probably not going to talk about women in the 3k, but the authors do have an introduction (both to the SGZ/3K and to feminism in the era) that's worth reading. Plus there's a good bibliography.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby WuLordoftheNewAge » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:47 pm

Lady Wu wrote:
iPodoftheNewAge wrote:Also, what is Empresses and Consorts?

This isn't much, but E&C is a collection of translations of the bios of the women in SGZ. I know you're probably not going to talk about women in the 3k, but the authors do have an introduction (both to the SGZ/3K and to feminism in the era) that's worth reading. Plus there's a good bibliography.

Actually, I had plan on writing something about what'serface... The one who Zhao Yun killed* in SGY.

*She asked him to leave a few times... He should've listened.
Pang Tong: So I wonder what this place is called?
Sign by road: "Place where Pang Tong gets killed"
Pang Tong: Hmmm... I have a bad feeling about this place...

On Fallen Phoenix Slope.
WuLordoftheNewAge
Langzhong

Unread postby Cao Ah Man » Fri May 09, 2008 9:05 pm

Howdy folks-

Doing a 7 page research paper on early Vietnamese identity and focusing primarily on Han Chinese influence. I've got my books and I've got my information, and I've got my focus (which is dealing mostly with Shi Xie, Ma Yuan, the Trung sisters, and these earlier versions of Vietnamese independence despite Chinese cultural imperialism) But what I'm having the most difficulty doing is coming up with a well worded thesis that I can argue for 7 pages.
I know I want to say something along the lines of "Depsite their massive neighbor to the north, the Vietnamese people were always able to maintain their own independence and indeed, absorb those Chinese elements, creating their own unique culture, as opposed to becoming culturally subservient to the Chinese, blah blah blah." I know it's a mess, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I know there was a great deal of Chinese-Vietnamese relations until the Southern Song, but if I could keep this around the Han and of course our favorite Three Kingdoms era, that'd be great.

PS- Thanks to the guys at Kongming.net, I can use the SGZ bio of Shi Xie as a source. You guys RULE.
Cao Ah Man
Scholar

Re: Homework Help Thread

Unread postby talon1579 » Wed May 28, 2008 12:10 pm

I'm revising for a poetry exam, the one I'm referencing here is "Blessing" by Imitaz Dharker.

Anyway, in some notes I have, it mentions a custom in India, Pakistan and other Asian countries, of the rich throwing silver coins to the ground for the poor to pick up. I've looked on the internet and asked a couple of my Asian friends, but I can;t seem tof ind any mention of this elsewhere. Has anyone here ever heard of this custom?

[quote] The skin cracks like a pod.
There never is enough water.

Imagine the drip of it,
the small splash, echo
in a tin mug,
the voice of a kindly god.

Sometimes, the sudden rush
of fortune. The municipal pipe bursts,
silver crashes to the ground
and the flow has found
a roar of tongues. From the huts,
a congregation : every man woman
child for streets around
butts in, with pots,
brass, copper, aluminium,
plastic buckets,
frantic hands,

and naked children
screaming in the liquid sun,
their highlights polished to perfection,
flashing light,
as the blessing sings[
over their small bones./quote]
talon1579
Changshi

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed May 28, 2008 12:49 pm

I think they've incorrectly made it out as a 'custom', as if there is something special or ritualistic about it. India used silver coinage, not gold. I'm sure every region had rich people throwing out coinage to the poor. I don't think you need to dwell on that too much and just understand the comparison made between donations from the rich and the pipe burst both being sudden, occasional brief moments of fortune.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby talon1579 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:01 pm

Ok, thanks. That fact isn't really important - I was just wary of mentioning it in case it wasn't true.
talon1579
Changshi

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed May 28, 2008 4:33 pm

Sounds like GCSE anthology stuff, did you do the Duffy as well?
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy