Homework Help Thread

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: Homework Help Thread

Unread postby Jake » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:57 pm

If anyone could help me, then please, answer.

I have been writing for a few days the subject of Salvador Dali, and I need more information on him, because I translated already the Wikipedia's texts but the subject isn't long enough. Any links to the sites that tell about him?
Puhkon silmäni, että näkisin
En tahdo nähdä, mutta näen sen väkisin
Runtelen korvani, jotta kuulisin
En ymmärrä, mutta kuulen sen väkisin
User avatar
Jake
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:21 am
Location: Hella Vodka

Re: Homework Help Thread

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:13 pm

Jake wrote:If anyone could help me, then please, answer.

I have been writing for a few days the subject of Salvador Dali, and I need more information on him, because I translated already the Wikipedia's texts but the subject isn't long enough. Any links to the sites that tell about him?

Ok, when I see people using Wikipedia as a reference for research, all kinds of warning bells go off in my head.

It further troubles me that the Wiki article only lists ONE book in the reference section.

I understand that books on the subject may be hard to obtain where you live, but to improve on what you have now, you have various other ways to obtain information:

- External links on the wiki page
- Do an internet search on "Salvador Dali" (to get more accurate or more specific results, tag on a particular theme word as well like "Salvador Dali sculptures"). First look for pages published with some authority--e.g. by a university, a newspaper, someone who deals with art for a living, a museum, etc. Cross-check a couple of pages to make sure that the information is accurate (but beware of people just copying from each other without acknowledging where their information came from).
- If you have a local library, see if they have any books on the subject or can order books from another library for you. They may also have copies of old newspapers and magazines that contain articles on him--ask your librarian for help.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
User avatar
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu
 
Posts: 12812
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:35 am
Location: Wu-ere else?

Re: Homework Help Thread

Unread postby Jake » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:02 pm

Lady Wu wrote:
Jake wrote:If anyone could help me, then please, answer.

I have been writing for a few days the subject of Salvador Dali, and I need more information on him, because I translated already the Wikipedia's texts but the subject isn't long enough. Any links to the sites that tell about him?

Ok, when I see people using Wikipedia as a reference for research, all kinds of warning bells go off in my head.

It further troubles me that the Wiki article only lists ONE book in the reference section.

I understand that books on the subject may be hard to obtain where you live, but to improve on what you have now, you have various other ways to obtain information:

- External links on the wiki page
- Do an internet search on "Salvador Dali" (to get more accurate or more specific results, tag on a particular theme word as well like "Salvador Dali sculptures"). First look for pages published with some authority--e.g. by a university, a newspaper, someone who deals with art for a living, a museum, etc. Cross-check a couple of pages to make sure that the information is accurate (but beware of people just copying from each other without acknowledging where their information came from).
- If you have a local library, see if they have any books on the subject or can order books from another library for you. They may also have copies of old newspapers and magazines that contain articles on him--ask your librarian for help.


The problem really is, that the subject for the work is really hard one to find in Finalnd. Althought you would believe that books and these would be avaible for foreigners, NOT. The local library doesn't have anything on Dali, and neither doesn't the city's library. So this is kind of.. annoying.

So I'm only looking to the links. But I'll do some research, and if you could help, it's appreciated.
Puhkon silmäni, että näkisin
En tahdo nähdä, mutta näen sen väkisin
Runtelen korvani, jotta kuulisin
En ymmärrä, mutta kuulen sen väkisin
User avatar
Jake
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 965
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:21 am
Location: Hella Vodka

Re: Homework Help Thread

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:34 pm

Jake wrote:The problem really is, that the subject for the work is really hard one to find in Finalnd. Althought you would believe that books and these would be avaible for foreigners, NOT. The local library doesn't have anything on Dali, and neither doesn't the city's library. So this is kind of.. annoying.

So I'm only looking to the links. But I'll do some research, and if you could help, it's appreciated.

Yeah, I know that such books would be hard to come by in Finland. But have you spoken with a librarian to see what they'd suggest?

I'm not going to do your internet research for you, but try doing a search yourself following the suggestions I had above. If you have specific questions about doing internet research I'd be happen to answer them. :)
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
User avatar
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu
 
Posts: 12812
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:35 am
Location: Wu-ere else?

Re: Homework Help Thread

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:56 am

Jake, if your school has registered to JSTOR, that's always a good general reference for journal articles.

If not, Google Scholar will sometimes turn up a few good publications. Both JSTOR and Google Scholar were invaluable to me during my college career, so they're probably each worth a good browse.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
User avatar
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor
 
Posts: 3823
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:09 am
Location: L'Étoile du Nord

Re: Homework Help Thread

Unread postby Cao Ah Man » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:50 pm

I have a paper to write for my Chinese History 452 course- from prehistory to Song, and based on a given prompt I've come up with two theses(Is that the word for it? O_o) I was hoping I could get some advice from you folks who prolly ALREADY got your Chinese history degrees in which one would be a better one to write about, and easier to prove and provide evidence for.

Either:

"From the fall of the Han to the fall of Song, the role of the gentry (the shi) was gradually being replaced from men appointed based on the status of their family, to men appointed based on their own personal merits and talents."

Or

"As the successive Chinese Dynasties following the fall of Han made participation in the Imperial beauracracy easier to join, the once prestigious role of the scholar officials began to fade into the background as men of "disreputable" origin, such as merchants were able to join the government and effect policy no matter what the now powerless gentry might say."

If anyone also has any good links to any good professorial documents or anything, that would be so awesome.
Cao Ah Man
Scholar
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:35 am
Location: London, England

Re: Homework Help Thread

Unread postby talon1579 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:03 pm

I'm afraid I have no Chinese History degree. Sorry.

May I please direct helpers' attention to this thread, it seemed ot fit better in World History Delib, but I could use the help: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19790
User avatar
talon1579
Changshi
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:41 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Homework Help Thread

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:27 pm

Who has a favourite mnemonic for the 12 cranial nerves?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
User avatar
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu
 
Posts: 12812
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:35 am
Location: Wu-ere else?

Re: Homework Help Thread

Unread postby abcd99 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:58 pm

Uhmm... My favorite is in Wiki, admittedly somewhat inappropriate (but really easy to remember).
abcd99
Student
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:10 pm

Re: Homework Help Thread

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:08 am

Oh ho ho, is it one of those that would get you censored on this forum? :pika:
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
User avatar
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu
 
Posts: 12812
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:35 am
Location: Wu-ere else?

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved