Afterlife?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Seres » Sun Aug 11, 2002 6:23 am

The afterlife is a very interesting subject. After all, you must face death itself to discover its secrets, and that, to some, is a frightening proposition.

Myself, I believe death will be the greatest learning experience of your life (or death). You will finally learn the secrets that have plauged the minds of humans since the birth of the world. That is why I do not fear death, because I will finally discover if everything I have believed in for so long is true or not...

I cannot say for sure what I do believe in, because I do not know myself. However, I do not believe in a Heaven or Hell, because I do not believe in God in the traditional sense. I do not see a supreme entity ruling over our lives, passing judgement based on our actions. But I suppose I'm breaching into religion now. To sum up, I do not know what I believe, but I suppose we will all learn when our lives come to an end.
"Military action is important to the nation--it is the ground of death and life, the path of survival and destruction, so it is imperative to examine it." -Sun Tzu, the Art of War
Seres
Tyro

Unread postby NCC81701 » Sun Aug 11, 2002 6:26 am

I do not believe in Heaven, Hell, nor reincarnation. I believe in obilivion of your mind, thoughts and memory upon death. It might be a bit pessimistic, however I believe that my philosophy helps me to live a better life. Knowing that obilivion awaits me upon death, I would strive to do my best and make a difference before I am gone for good.
"The world is my country, science my religion" - Christaan Huygens
NCC81701
Student

Unread postby James » Sun Aug 11, 2002 7:38 am

NCC81701 wrote:I do not believe in Heaven, Hell, nor reincarnation. I believe in obilivion of your mind, thoughts and memory upon death. It might be a bit pessimistic, however I believe that my philosophy helps me to live a better life. Knowing that obilivion awaits me upon death, I would strive to do my best and make a difference before I am gone for good.

A belief many people hold until they start to get old. ;)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby NCC81701 » Mon Aug 12, 2002 4:51 am

Perhaps, we'll just have to wait and see 8-)
"The world is my country, science my religion" - Christaan Huygens
NCC81701
Student

Unread postby Asellas » Wed Jun 04, 2003 5:29 pm

I don't think their is afterlife. When you are dead and buried(Sorry to put it boldly) that is the end of like IMO. I wouldn't want to come backk in another form/body or shape it just wouldn't be me being myself. I do not believe in it and I honestly do not think there is one and even if there was. You would probably have had to have good life(I haven't and wouldn't deserve it, lol) so it gives you a chance to keep being good and enjoying life for what it is.

But aside from my statement I do not think we enter another stage of life but I am not one who can proof we don't have another life and respect a lot for people who beleive in this yet anyone would say it did to me and kept persisting and didn't respect I don't/want to beleive it, I would simply hit them for not respecting my views yet respecting theirs......
We live to see to see it end but when you think about it, you can die quickly as life goes by quickly if you are deep in thought and when your time is up, You cannot think about living another life so it is an inconclusive yet debateable topic.
"Winter is coming".
"I like hurting people...it's what I do best because I am heartless".
"Love is for poets, romance is for playwrights, and sex is for procreation - I desire none of them"
Asellas
Lord of Winterfell

Unread postby timon » Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:02 pm

i guess the simplest approach would be looking at each major belief ... then probably employ occams razor ... or whatever ... one of those must be right ... right?

hinduism - reincarnation until you achieve nirvana
buddhism - see above ... though there are minor differences, it's practically the same
islam - believe in multiple heavens and multiple hells, if you end up in one of the hells as described by the qu'ran you suffer but can be pardoned and go to heaven after some time.
atheism - life ends the moment you die? no afterlife, no nuthin'
christianity - two destinations, either eternal bliss, or eternal damnation

if hinduism is right, all the rest are going attain nirvana longer than the hindus .... same thing for the buddhists i guess. if islam is right, everyone else is going to hell but will eventually be pardoned for good behavior. if the athiests are right, everyone else will just be gone like them. if christianity is right, you are either going to heaven or hell for all eternity, no more second chances.

i guess that's that.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat drinking beer all day.
timon
Changshi

Unread postby Coxix » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:03 am

It would be nice to believe on something like that. It's a symbol of hope, and its what keeps us healthy, at least spiritually and emotionally.
<a href="http://coxix.blogspot.com/">My Bunk </a>
Coxix
Scholar

Unread postby Omega52 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:19 am

heaven hell blah blah blah.
If all of these religions were true like the people that follow them think they are we would all go to hell, because there are more than one religion that says you go to hell if you don't follow it.

I beleive that there is NO afterlife, I beleive the only afterlife there could be is your brain still being functional, which lasts about 4 minutes after your heart stops. But once it shuts off, you no longer can make the connections with your senses, the sense of touch, hearing, sight, smell, body orientation, perspective, time etc... you would feel nothing at all, you would not make the connections with your body becuase it flatlines, it stops sending electric current through your body. Your inner brain connections will fail as well, if you can still think, you will rapidly forget things until you remember absolutely nothing because there are no connections to the other parts of memory, Then that part dies and you die, no thinking, no sensing, no nothing. You cease to be, that is my theory on it.
"I mistrust the judgement of every man in a case in which his own wishes are concerned."- Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley
Omega52
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Pi » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:16 pm

Being a Christian i believe in heaven and hell. I think that there are too many unexplained incidents about the afterlife for there not to be one. People seeing the dead or those who have died momentarily and have seen the gates of heaven. I believe that whatever you believe in will happen to you, for example my grandfather was an Atheist and i believe that he just disappeared after his death which is quite saddening. But i also hope that God was kind enough to grant him eternal life despite his beliefs whilst he was alive.
"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one." - James A. Froude
Liu Pi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Aquinas » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:16 pm

timon wrote:atheism - life ends the moment you die? no afterlife, no nuthin'
I would just like to point out that this is false. There is nothing stopping an atheist from believing in an afterlife. It may be uncommon, sure, but the only thing that all atheists have in common is the lack of a belief in a deity, and a form of afterlife or transubstantial "self" does not need the belief of a deity to be accepted.

Anyway, to answer the original poster's question, I must admit that I do not know. If I had to go by what I know of life now, then I would simply state that being "dead" is probably a lot like being whatever I was before I was born. Take from that what you will.
Aquinas
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy