Afterlife?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Pi Ka Chu » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:23 am

ZenZach wrote:In the books of Buddhism I have read, it is said that Buddha could/can recall 42 of his past lives. Please, nobody say this idea is stupid because it is not.

Yes, I have read those books too. I think Mahayana Buddhist has more of a defined concept of heaven and hell that are more associated with Taoism and Confucianism.
As for Theravada Buddhist, we have a different aspect of the afterlife.
Nice guys don't insists on being creepers just because they were nice.
User avatar
Pi Ka Chu
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 738
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:18 am
Location: Watching Ratatosk insult the eagle on Yggdrasil for the wrym Níðhöggr

Unread postby TheRealWolfman » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:27 am

There's gotta be an afterlife. I remember when I was younger thinking was I Abe Lincoln? But then I realized no because well, when we Christians die we go to heaven and live in peace for all eternity. Plus, my Grandpa is very religous and how he lives with his wife, dad, ma just passing in the last few years, there has to be a heaven.
Semper Fi on the God Most High.
User avatar
TheRealWolfman
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 744
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:14 pm
Location: Somewhere over the irradiated rainbow.

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:05 pm

Well, for one, I'm a Christian and I'm not too concerned about heaven - whether or not I go there will be up to God; all I can do is trust him. What I can do is to figure out who I am, in this life.

Also, wouldn't it be really confusing for the Buddha, having to deal with 43 lives? Having one is bad enough. If anyone has seen Deep Space Nine, think about Ezri Dax - being forced to deal with nine lifetimes wasn't particularly easy for her!
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
User avatar
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor
 
Posts: 3823
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:09 am
Location: L'Étoile du Nord

Unread postby Ozymandias » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:13 pm

TheRealWolfman wrote:There's gotta be an afterlife. I remember when I was younger thinking was I Abe Lincoln? But then I realized no because well, when we Christians die we go to heaven and live in peace for all eternity. Plus, my Grandpa is very religous and how he lives with his wife, dad, ma just passing in the last few years, there has to be a heaven.

The fact that you want something does not make it so.
User avatar
Ozymandias
Apprentice
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:34 am
Location: UK

Unread postby Roy » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 pm

The Fact that you say there isn't afterlife dosen't make it not true.

I'm certain most of you Know where I stand, and for those of you who don't, then let me tell you what I belive with the help of the Apostles creed.

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.
and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.
who was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit
born of the Virgin Mary.
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended into hell.
On the third day he rose again from the dead.
He ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand
of God the Father Almighty.
From thence he shall come again to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting.
Amen.
For those of you who play or have played nation states, I am the Infamous Lord Watkins.

Ha Ha Ha Ha,
User avatar
Roy
Changshi
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: In the U.S. Army

Unread postby Ozymandias » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:52 pm

Three words: "burden of proof".
<p align="center">-----
I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me.
</p>
User avatar
Ozymandias
Apprentice
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:34 am
Location: UK

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:51 pm

I'm sad to say I find myself feeling quite foolish when considering wether or not there is an afterlife. This is mostly because there is rational basis for me assume there shall be one. The fact that people assert there is such a place, yet have no general agreement upon what is is/who is there/who gets to go/or what its like further diminishes the idea of it.

I'd like there to be one possibly, but I have no ability to realize what it would be like. Much like the concept of God exists in the extra-rational, so too does the concept of Heaven/Hell or whatever after life you choose to believe in. So many times people embrace human rationalizations to this place while forgetting is exists outside of this realm.
User avatar
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 4308
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:22 am
Location: US

Unread postby ZenZach » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:23 am

Maybe there is some sort of cylce. Like possibly we are reborn, but into a different time or even dimension/universe. Something completely different so to speak. It's like, you cannot remember or know anything of your prebirth, so how were YOU all of a sudden a person? No human can tell this. We had no knowledge of being in the wome, but BAM, you're living, instantly. How is that? How is it that Lu Bu or Cao Cao were born in their time? It's impossible to know, and they did not choose.

Same as for us. Now of course we die, and everything about our existence is obliterated; the mind, the spirit. But, Buddha, who was said to be able to know 40+ of his previous lives, was maybe so enlightened and pure and wise, he could look past and see what was once real.
\"Do not turn your back on the various ways of this world.\"

-Miyamoto Musashi
User avatar
ZenZach
Academic
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:32 am
Location: In the void.

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:33 am

ZenZach wrote:Maybe there is some sort of cylce. Like possibly we are reborn, but into a different time or even dimension/universe. Something completely different so to speak.



Good theory. Just little reason to beleive it.


We had no knowledge of being in the wome, but BAM, you're living, instantly. How is that?



We know it for two reasons.
A) while we lack memory of being in the womb, we certainly have evidence of being in there. i don't think I need to educate you on science or how a baby is born. while my sister does not remember being born, i certainly do and can prove beyond a fact she was both in the womb and born.
b)the physical evidence that i can exist is simply the result of stage of being in the womb at some time in my existence.

also..its not BOOM you're instantly born. Its more like a progressive stage of evolution/growth.


How is it that Lu Bu or Cao Cao were born in their time? It's impossible to know, and they did not choose.


How is it they were born into their time? Well simply put, I think a female a male had sex and produced them. It is not impossible to know. You are correct they had no choice in the matter.

Same as for us.


same for us in the sense i didn't choose to be here.
but no, i know how i was conceived and brought about.
User avatar
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 4308
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:22 am
Location: US

Unread postby ZenZach » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:15 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:
ZenZach wrote:Maybe there is some sort of cylce. Like possibly we are reborn, but into a different time or even dimension/universe. Something completely different so to speak.



Good theory. Just little reason to beleive it.



We had no knowledge of being in the wome, but BAM, you're living, instantly. How is that?



We know it for two reasons.
A) while we lack memory of being in the womb, we certainly have evidence of being in there. i don't think I need to educate you on science or how a baby is born. while my sister does not remember being born, i certainly do and can prove beyond a fact she was both in the womb and born.
b)the physical evidence that i can exist is simply the result of stage of being in the womb at some time in my existence.

also..its not BOOM you're instantly born. Its more like a progressive stage of evolution/growth.


How is it that Lu Bu or Cao Cao were born in their time? It's impossible to know, and they did not choose.


How is it they were born into their time? Well simply put, I think a female a male had sex and produced them. It is not impossible to know. You are correct they had no choice in the matter.

Same as for us.


same for us in the sense i didn't choose to be here.
but no, i know how i was conceived and brought about.


Your interpretation on everything I said was the obvious. The baby bit, where we are born, yeah I know that process, but I'm talking about how we have no knowledge of anything before that process, therefore rendering the world absolutely nothing until one can interpret and gain knowledge, hence being born into the world and growing. Nobody can explain life before birth, because there IS no life to be considered for before a human is born.

Say I was born in 1993, does that mean I had to wait allllll those years before 93, my birth? No, it just simply happened I was born in that year, and things occurred before my birth.

But how was there little reason to believe my theory? Are you saying something I thought of is stupid? And what if I was right, because I'm not alone to think maybe so, but if I was right, there is full reason to believe.[/quote]

The bit with Lu Bu and Cao Cao, again you interpreted it wrong. They did not choose to even be born (yes I know two had intercourse to bring them about) but my question is what were they born in their time? And why were we born in our time?
\"Do not turn your back on the various ways of this world.\"

-Miyamoto Musashi
User avatar
ZenZach
Academic
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:32 am
Location: In the void.

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved