Advanced Placement Classes (AP)

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:07 pm

Are the AP classes counted as a college credit and for a high school credit? If so, is it counted as an honors credit?
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby Rhiannon » Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:57 pm

AP classes are counted as college credit. School policies vary on how they accept AP credit, but I've yet to see one where it grants honors credit at a college -- not that it'd make any difference, because it wouldn't show such courses on your college transcript. In other words, it allows you to skip taking certain classes, usually GE requirements. AP classes are far easier than college honors classes, heh.

So if you passed the AP English Lit exam, you could skip beginning college writing. That means instead of taking beginning college writing, you will skip straight ahead to intermediate, with the prerequisite considered filled by the AP course.

Do be cautious though when you enter a college, and be aware of their AP policy. Some have a set limit on how many AP courses they accept; some only accept certain AP courses or grades (most take 3 as a pass, but some colleges only accept 4s and 5s); some require transcripts mailed by the AP test givers, some will just take a photocopy of your personal transcript of scores; some won't take AP credit at all; some take AP credit if you take a test and prove you're still competent in the subject...you get the idea. When you get to entering college (I know, a few years for you Jess ^_^), just make sure you're aware of the AP policy, don't assume that you can skip a class because you have the AP equivalent.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Tue Mar 11, 2003 12:33 am

So, by taking AP English and AP Chemistry they will still count as an English and Science credit at my school, right? I mean, I won't have to take another English or Science class? I just wanna make sure Im not screwing myself over in courses (although I did plan on taking about 6 science classes...Im a nerd..... :oops: )
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby Phlegyas » Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:21 am

Shi Jing Xu wrote:So, by taking AP English and AP Chemistry they will still count as an English and Science credit at my school, right? I mean, I won't have to take another English or Science class? I just wanna make sure Im not screwing myself over in courses (although I did plan on taking about 6 science classes...Im a nerd..... :oops: )

At my school, the AP course counts as an honors level course in that area of study. If one passes the AP test with a sufficient grade that is accepted by the college they wish to attend, then the student recieves credit for that class at that college. My brother only scored a 3 out of 5 on the Mod. Eur. AP exam and is going to Northwestern next year. Northwestern only accepts 4 or higher, so for him, it did not count as a college class. In the highschool, AP is honors, in the college, AP is that class.
"Woe unto you, ye souls depraved
Hope nevermore to look upon the heavens;
I come to lead you to the other shore,
To the eternal shades in heat and frost.
And thou, that yonder standest, living soul,
Withdraw thee from these people, the dead"
Phlegyas
Langzhong

Location: The dark catacombs of my mind. Longing for love, but getting lost in the labyrinth.

Unread postby Rhiannon » Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:49 am

ERr, I think I misunderstood ya. ^_^ AP is counted as honors at highschool level, and as regular coursework at the college level. And yes, you get credit for both (so long as the college you go to accepts it).
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Sun Siling » Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:18 pm

I'm taking some AP classes right now...and in reading, we gotta read Romeo and Juilet...and I see no romance in there. (I was Benvollio in the book because we were reading a play...)
"Learn from the past, Live in the present, Plan for the future."
But sometimes you learn from friends too ^_^
Sun Siling
Academic

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:31 am

What sort of summer work is required for AP English and Chem?
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby Southland » Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:27 am

I was only able to take the AP English Language, English Literature, Chemistry, Biology, and BC Calculus.

Regarding how difficult the AP test is, during all 3 tests that I earned a 5 on, (everything except the English) I was able to answer all the questions with some confidence.

The material isn't difficult at all (in fact, I think my AP Chem class was harder than its college equivalent), but the pace of a high school AP class is pretty hectic considering you actually have homework to do.
Southland
Student

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:50 am

Of course, I am changing my mind again. My english teacher said that I am taking AP English (puh...like she can make me), but I don't want to. The only reason I would take it is because I might as well get used to it now since it will be like college. As for Chem, I don't know if my teacher wants me to take it. She didn't really put her own opinion in that situation (which bugs the hell out of me). The reason I am asking, is because registration is only about 3 weeks away. I am taking the ACT in April (as a 10th grader...) and I am just really nervous about it all. :shock:
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy