Advanced Placement Classes (AP)

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Advanced Placement Classes (AP)

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:51 pm

I was/am debating over 2 classes of this sort. For those who don't know, AP is (usually) counted as a college credit but it is one you take as a year 11 or 12 student. I want some advice from people who have or are currently in an AP class that can tell me how it is. It doesnt matter which course (Calculus, English, Economics, Biology, etc.), I just want a little background of the difficulty of this class before I sign up for either one of the classes I want to take (Chemistry and/or Biology).
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby The Green Giant » Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:13 pm

You're smart, you can take 4 AP classes if you want. :D
AP biology is really not hard, actually it's a piece of cake. AP chemistry may cause some headaches though, but if you have taken chemistry before then it's not really a problem either.

I say go for it, first quarter college science classes are so boring, finish them in high school when you can.
The Green Giant

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:06 pm

AP class difficulty really depends on the teacher, honestly. I found that most of my AP classes were not much different than my honors classes. I heard mostly the same from my peers as well for AP classes I didn't take, excepting US History. If you do well in honors classes, you'll do just fine in AP. The only hard part about AP, imo, was preparing for the AP tests.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Wen Choung » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:04 pm

Yea, I agree with Wild-Eyes. In my experience, classes of all types, AP, Honors or regular, usually depends on the teacher.

My AP programming teacher is really nice about assignments and the class itself isn't difficult at all while my regular English class is more difficult than my Honors Latin and AP C++ class combined.

As far as you hearing about the difficulty of AP classes being similar to Honors, that sounds about right. If you're smart enough (and I'm pretty sure you are :wink: ), advanced classes should not make too much of a difference. I've been taking 2-3 Honors classes each year as an underclassman and even though I've added another honors and AP class my junior year, I can honestly tell you I don't feel much more pressure than any year before.

My best advice for you is to ask more from your friends and any other student older than you (I'm guessing only seniors apply) because it all goes back to who teachers the course and the way your school approaches it.

Edit: Also, keep in consideration your own ability and not overload yourself with AP classes just because their AP. People in my school tend to do that and I myself am guilty of this as well...I am planning to register for 5 AP courses out of my 7 but I am hoping to trim it down by tommorrow. :cry:
Wen Choung
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:28 am

I signed up for 4 honors classes this year, and am only in 3 now. I cant take Honors Geometry. Math just isnt my thing..well, it's mostly the geometry, algebra is ok. I think I will take the AP classes. I thought about maybe biology next year, and as a senior Chemistry. I know the AP Bio teacher is the same one I had for Honors. She's nice ^_^
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby Harimau » Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:16 am

Shi Jing Xu wrote:I signed up for 4 honors classes this year, and am only in 3 now. I cant take Honors Geometry. Math just isnt my thing..well, it's mostly the geometry, algebra is ok. I think I will take the AP classes. I thought about maybe biology next year, and as a senior Chemistry. I know the AP Bio teacher is the same one I had for Honors. She's nice ^_^

Post the questions that you have trouble with here. I am quite curious now what kind of questions would give someone like you trouble.
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:00 am

Well, mostly any questions that would give me trouble would be do hard to type, it's more of a visual thing. Like you would have to see it to understand.
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby Harimau » Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:38 am

Shi Jing Xu wrote:Well, mostly any questions that would give me trouble would be do hard to type, it's more of a visual thing. Like you would have to see it to understand.

Well... maybe if you have some spare time, you can draw them on Paint or something better lol... Maybe im too curious for my own good...
Or maybe you have a scanner?

Well... i think Advanced Placement is an excellent thing... too bad we dont have them here in Australia... :cry:
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:22 am

It looks like the forces of English have foiled my plan...
The Pre-AP English Exam I took (because I had to) didn't come out the way I wanted. I had hoped that I wouldn't get accepted, but it turns out I did. *sigh* Tomorrow, I will ask my English teacher is she thinks I should be in AP English, if not, good. If so, I'll question her. From the people I asked in class, I got the highest score, and that's saying something! I asked some really smart kids!
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby Phlegyas » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:05 am

My brother took 1 AP soph., 2 AP jun., and 5 AP. senior.

I plan to take 4 as a jun., and 5 as a senior.

They are not that much more difficult and college credit is always good. It is just a little harder to get A+'s for me. I am actually taking Calc. BC which is 2 AP years in one year. Should be good.
"Woe unto you, ye souls depraved
Hope nevermore to look upon the heavens;
I come to lead you to the other shore,
To the eternal shades in heat and frost.
And thou, that yonder standest, living soul,
Withdraw thee from these people, the dead"
Phlegyas
Langzhong

Location: The dark catacombs of my mind. Longing for love, but getting lost in the labyrinth.

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy