Learning Economics?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Learning Economics?

Unread postby Rhiannon » Wed Jan 29, 2003 6:25 pm

Does anyone know any good sources (be they books or internet sites) that teach economics, beyond the basic ideas? I'm woefully inadequate in my economics knowledge and would like to improve without taking four courses in college.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Ender » Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:05 am

"Tell me not in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem."
-- Longfellow
Ender
Wandering Darkness

Unread postby Rhiannon » Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:22 am

Web Ec looks great (http://www.helsinki.fi/WebEc/WebEc.html). I'll start playing around there.

What about books? Anyone have any recommendations (I don't care if they're old textbooks from your classes either, if you found them to be good, please let me know)...
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Harimau » Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:37 am

Do you know what the [EDIT] function is? If you do, use it and delete one of those posts above. If you dont, i dont care, learn.

Which country are you in? The books about economics differ country by country and they need to be adjusted to that.
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Rhiannon » Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:12 pm

USA, live in California. Sorry, didn't think about that.
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby KangXi » Sat Feb 15, 2003 12:47 am

Is there any subject in particular that you are interested in or need research on? I have been, if I may say so, a rather apt pupil of economic studies, and have read/written extensively on various topics and fields of consideration. If you need any materials, I would be more than happy to provide you with some valuable materials that has helped me and even some of my own works.

Regards,
Kang Xi
Zhong Guo Ren Min Wan Sui!
KangXi
Initiate

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:54 am

Actually, KangXi, just about anything. I barely understand economics at all. I have a limited grasp of supply and demand and stocks, but beyond that, I hardly know much at all. I need like a beginner's guide, first of all. After that, I'd know better what more specific things I'd need to know.
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby KangXi » Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:24 am

I have written an Economics Primer in the form of a relatively extensive outline of basic economic concepts. I did this for a class that I was teaching. If you could provide me with your email address, I would be more than happy to send it to you.

Regards,
Kang Xi
Zhong Guo Ren Min Wan Sui!
KangXi
Initiate

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy