Do people need to be Christian to be good?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Travis » Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:42 pm

Organized Religions are not evil. The Crusades and what not were sparked by corrupt people under certain circumstances not the organized religions. In the Crusades, the Pope said they should reclaim the Holy Land, when in fact all he wanted was an easy route to Asia. So how is that organized religions fault? I would say it was the Pope's fault.

Han Xin wrote:Now all those cynical religious leaders needed to do is called a Crussade, Jihad, and etc to basically justify the mass killing of innocents people.

You said it yourself "cynical religious leaders".

Now the circumstances are this. Holy Wars may happen in the Middle East because corrupt people are leading brainwashed masses of people. Similar to how the Crusades were established easily. The People all believe that blowing yourself in some Jihad will save the world and go to Allah, just like the Crusaders were fooled into believing they will instantly go to heaven when they die on the Crusade. Both of these were mainly due to lack of education and literacy. If you can't read, and you're not too smart, you can only believe what you are told.

But look at it nowadays, if the Pope called for a Crusade, who would come? Not many people would come because most people know better now. But if Osama Bin Laden calls a Jihad, thousands of people who believe they will go to Allah will rally to his cause, because they don't know any better.

It's people taking advantage of certain conditions that make an entire faith look bad. Not the other way around.
"Be on your Guard, Stand Firm in the Faith, Be Men of Courage, Be Strong, Do everything in Love" - Master Lee's School Motto-

Formerly Schwarz Bruder/Taishi Ci
Travis
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Do people need to be Christian to be good?

Unread postby Chen Kun » Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:22 pm

Jia Wenhe wrote:I have spoken to a few people about this topic, and some people seem to actually believe that you need to be Christian, or be some denomination of it, to be a good person.

I don't understand this logic at all. Why is it, that if I choose to reject to Christianity that I am labelled as evil.

Taishi Ci, even said himself, that if not for his god, why would he choose to be good. For myself, I know it's an innate feeling inside me that wishes to help my fellow ciitzens of earth, through whatever means possible.

I work and live in a small city in Ontario, (until tomorrow 8-) ) and Taishi Ci's view is mirrored here a lot, if you are not Christian, you must be of poor character. Still my actions are within the legal guidelines of a law based on Christian morals, and I choose to do them, not to stay out of jail or to appease my god, but to make myself feel good, does anyone else think that you need to be Christian to be good. I honestly don't think that is the case at all, but do.. correct me if I am wrong.

yeah I can understand ur feeling,just because I'm atheist,people think I worship evil :roll:
I AM CHEN KUN OF SOC,WHO DARE TO CHALLENGE ME?
Chen Kun
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Do people need to be Christian to be good?

Unread postby Travis » Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:32 pm

Chen Kun wrote:yeah I can understand ur feeling,just because I'm atheist,people think I worship evil :roll:

If your atheist you don't worship anything :lol:
"Be on your Guard, Stand Firm in the Faith, Be Men of Courage, Be Strong, Do everything in Love" - Master Lee's School Motto-

Travis
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kid- » Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:05 pm

to Tianshan Tzu

Roman Catholic and Christian have their differences but nevertheless... Yes they are Roman Catholic is Christian based.
Christianity was created in middle east which traveled itself to the Roman Empire and Europe. I think later when Charlemange became emperor it changed to Roman Catholic.
Christianity lived on, but Catholicism took over.

My humble guesses and answers
Check what you are doing, before you do it
Kid-
Initiate

Unread postby Travis » Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:23 pm

Kid- wrote:to Tianshan Tzu

Roman Catholic and Christian have their differences but nevertheless... Yes they are Roman Catholic is Christian based.
Christianity was created in middle east which traveled itself to the Roman Empire and Europe. I think later when Charlemange became emperor it changed to Roman Catholic.
Christianity lived on, but Catholicism took over.

Go back to the Religions thread and a few posts back, I explain all of this. :wink:

Travis
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kid- » Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:29 pm

okok... I dont like searching, but i ll just stop responding and look at what you guys put down over the next i dont know.

Kid out
Kid-
I have the power give, but have no power to take.
Check what you are doing, before you do it
Kid-
Initiate

Unread postby Cheng YU » Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:30 am

First you'll have to define 'good'...if judging on man level, many people who ain't are good too. And some christians are very sinful...they think whatever they do they'll be forgiven. But that is untrue. If u don't know the rule and u break it, u'll receive punishments. If u know the rule yet still break it...the punishments'll be lighter or heavier?? But many people don't know that. You don't have to be christian to be good...and some christians are not good. But in the end, good christians can be saved.
Cheng YU
Initiate

Unread postby Jiang Xun » Tue Aug 26, 2003 7:21 pm

Sorry, but i think any religion that basicly tells you what to think, on ANY subject, is not right.

All organized religions do this. The need to either stop......or be disbanded.......
Jiang Xun
Langzhong

Unread postby Cherry_Blossom » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:17 pm

Sorry, but i think any religion that basicly tells you what to think, on ANY subject, is not right.

All organized religions do this. The need to either stop......or be disbanded.......

Seeing as we all have to learn from people, religion (if you believe), school, government, and so on then it is only natural that religion teaches and tells you and helps you to know how to live..if your being taught to respect life and be good and so on I don't see that as bad...since we should do so anyway...if it is taught and reinforced then all the better.

I don't recall ever hearing any Christian say you have to be one of us or your evil....I am Catholic...I believe people from many religions can be good people and go to Heaven. What i have noticed here though is that Atheism and Satanism are being classified as religions..I never considered them such..I am not trying to cause a fight..just saying I never considered these a religon. For one thing Atheists don't believe in anything.(Though I have found on this site a few who have posted on how they might not agree with some things but do think the Pope or Christian faith and it's standards are good things and so on..so while I don't agree with their lack of faith I can see that they have good qualities...so again not an attack.) For another...While I do not want to judge (which is also why Christians should not be saying you will or will not go to Heaven..that is judgement) I can say that to me in my view satanism is the worship of evil...it's not my idea of a religion.

As for being forgiven...well we have confession to forgive us our sins..we can't just go and commit a sin and bing be clean..though I know some religions I think do believe as long as you are sorry you automatically get forgiven or something. I know we are the only one I think with confession..so again we can't just will ourselves clean or anything we have to go and carry out our penitent rite. Though again just because someone else does not have confession to me does not mean they can't go to Heaven. So no I don't think you have to be Christian to get to Heaven but you do have to be good and be sorry for your wrongs and in the end when you die I do believe you get a chance to choose God or not..no matter if you believed on earth or not.
Short version of a quote by Thales:
Of all things;God = most ancient;he is uncreated,Universe=most beautiful;God's work,Space=greatest;holds all,Swiftest=mind;speeds
everywhere,Strongest=necessity;masters all,Wisest=time; brings all things to light
Cherry_Blossom
Changshi

Unread postby Emily » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:47 pm

I don't think that you have to be Christian- or even religious- to be good.

Although it may help, being religious doesn't necessarily make one a good person. And just the opposite, being non-religious doesn't make one a heathen either. It's really more a matter of morals and ethics than anything.

Now that I think about, a majority of what religions teach is basic morals. So, although a religion might serve as a guide and teacher, it doesn't automatically make one a good person.

Jiang Xun wrote:Sorry, but i think any religion that basicly tells you what to think, on ANY subject, is not right.

There are many different institutions that tell people waht to think. If we were truly going to disband and punish organized religion for doing so, we'd also have to get rid of government, the media, schools, family, friends, etc. Actually, we'd pretty much have to give up all human contact, as I've received advice and comments from total strangers before.

So what if it tells people what to think? People are influenced by many different things, and religion is only one of them. Besides, if an organized religion isn't hurting anybody, and it helps even one person feel better about their life, then I think that it's worth it.

Cherry_Blossom wrote:What i have noticed here though is that Atheism and Satanism are being classified as religions..I never considered them such..I am not trying to cause a fight..just saying I never considered these a religon.

According to the definition of the word religion, Satanism is in fact a religion.

mw.com wrote:Main Entry: re·li·gion
1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

As for athiesm, well, that's a different story. Instead of telling you what I think of that, I'll just let the following quote do it for me:

Don Hirschberg wrote:Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color.
"The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused." --Shirley Maclaine
Emily
Texas Tornado

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy