Do people need to be Christian to be good?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Jiang Xun » Wed Aug 27, 2003 4:37 am

Captain_Emily wrote:
Jiang Xun wrote:Sorry, but i think any religion that basicly tells you what to think, on ANY subject, is not right.

All organized religions do this. The need to either stop......or be disbanded.......

There are many different institutions that tell people waht to think. If we were truly going to disband and punish organized religion for doing so, we'd also have to get rid of government, the media, schools, family, friends, etc. Actually, we'd pretty much have to give up all human contact, as I've received advice and comments from total strangers before.

So what if it tells people what to think? People are influenced by many different things, and religion is only one of them. Besides, if an organized religion isn't hurting anybody, and it helps even one person feel better about their life, then I think that it's worth it.

Not true.

Has the schools ever told you to kill yourself, or others, if you want to see heaven?

Does the gov't claim that a higher being, the one who "created" you said to do certain things or else?

To compare religion to schools or govt is like comparing football to hockey. They might have one or even two things in common, but for the most part, there is no connection what so ever.

Religion and govt are alike in the sense that they are both institutions. While the gov't can tell you to kill people for the betterment of your people, the church says that "God" told you to do it.

There is a HUGE difference between the two, one that cannot even be compared.
Jiang Xun
Langzhong

Unread postby Cherry_Blossom » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:18 pm

Not true.

Has the schools ever told you to kill yourself, or others, if you want to see heaven?

Does the gov't claim that a higher being, the one who "created" you said to do certain things or else?

To compare religion to schools or govt is like comparing football to hockey. They might have one or even two things in common, but for the most part, there is no connection what so ever.

Religion and govt are alike in the sense that they are both institutions. While the gov't can tell you to kill people for the betterment of your people, the church says that "God" told you to do it.

There is a HUGE difference between the two, one that cannot even be compared.

God does not preach killing. As for the government telling you to kill or else..well you have heard of the draft right? That forced many people to have to be in a war and put their lives on the line and kill or go to jail or get fined and so on. ..it wasn't what one would call a choice. Religion does not tell you to kill yourself or others so you can see Heaven..your judging every religion on what some fanatics have done and call "religion"...God says not to kill..it's that simple...he doesn't want his people to kill themselves or to go about doing so to others. And while the gov't may not say a higher being has created you and told you what to do that is because to the gov't it is a high being....IT tells us what to do and what will happen if we listen or not.
Short version of a quote by Thales:
Of all things;God = most ancient;he is uncreated,Universe=most beautiful;God's work,Space=greatest;holds all,Swiftest=mind;speeds
everywhere,Strongest=necessity;masters all,Wisest=time; brings all things to light
Cherry_Blossom
Changshi

Unread postby DianWei » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:36 am

Christianity is not required to be good, however according to christianity, the only path to heaven is through Jesus Christ. No matter how good any one man is, any one sin is instant seperation from God, and as such, Jesus is the only way to nullify it. No matter how good the moral conduct anyone man, women or child (with the exception of stillborn as told in Psalms) can enter Heaven except through Jesus Christ.
Im in ur vanguard, vanquishin ur d00ds.
DianWei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Chosen One » Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:55 am

No, you don't have to be Christian to be considered good. A good example would be to look at a Buddhist monk or just any good willed person for that matter. Would you call them unholy even though they have committed the same if not less "sins" than a devoted Christian?
Nothing truly worth having is easy to attain.
Chosen One
Tyro

Unread postby Stedfel » Mon May 10, 2004 11:40 pm

No, you don't have to be christian to be good. Roughly half of my family is Catholic, and they drink, cuss, cheat on their wives and husbands, and one is in prison for attempted murder. On the other hand, some Christians I know are good people. Many 'religous' and 'non-religous' people act the way as my above mentions, so I would say that religion in general doesn't matter in whether you are good or not.
Last edited by Stedfel on Wed May 12, 2004 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stedfel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bricks » Tue May 11, 2004 6:18 am

Yea, I've seen some Christians who think that. And me and my sister call really happy people Christians :) It's sorta an inside joke...
You always see on those stupid Christian shows all these smiling people (real cheesy) talking about Jesus and Christ and stuff like that. They seem so happy its weird. And they're always telling you that if you beileve in god, you'll be a good person, and blah blah blah.
I hate when people tell you that you need God to be a better person! It's YOU who made yourself that person, not God, maybe you beileved in him/her/it and that gave you inspiration to do things, but God did not do it for you. Thats what I call low self esteem when that starts happening
Hit the clutch,
Hit the gear,
Hit the gas,
And I'm gone...
Bricks
Langzhong

Unread postby Justin » Tue May 11, 2004 3:36 pm

It depends if you're a christian or not. Most christians I've meet feel this way to some degree or another. You can be a nice guy but unless you're christain you will end up burning in hell in the end.
My Website

My Blog

The Dungeon

Trouble maker extraordinaire!
Justin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby n06guy » Tue May 11, 2004 6:20 pm

One doesnt have to be a Christian to be good. I mean... there are so many examples of non-Christian people being good, and there are just as many Christians being bad. As for going to heaven and burning in Hell. I dont think being a bad person has anything to do with it. Its if you belive in Christ or not. No Good or Bad stuff in the middle of it.
n06guy
Assistant

Unread postby Spike Spiegel » Thu May 13, 2004 5:58 am

You dont have to be Christian to be good. In fact, one doesnt have to be part of any religion to be good. All one needs is a good heart.
Spike Spiegel
Langzhong

Unread postby Shield of Rohan » Sat May 15, 2004 3:00 am

Certainly not. One can be "good" in any religion or philosophy. Such gets off onto the topic of predestination - must we be predestined to be Christian to be "good"? No way. I am a Christian myself, but I firmly believe that some of the greatest people in the world have no concept of Christianity at all. Good/evil is a part of human nature that all humans, not just Christians, feel.
"I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded, what others do only from fear of the law." -Aristotle
Shield of Rohan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy