Do people need to be Christian to be good?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Do people need to be Christian to be good?

Unread postby Dennis » Sat Dec 28, 2002 8:39 pm

I have spoken to a few people about this topic, and some people seem to actually believe that you need to be Christian, or be some denomination of it, to be a good person.

I don't understand this logic at all. Why is it, that if I choose to reject to Christianity that I am labelled as evil.

Taishi Ci, even said himself, that if not for his god, why would he choose to be good. For myself, I know it's an innate feeling inside me that wishes to help my fellow ciitzens of earth, through whatever means possible.

I work and live in a small city in Ontario, (until tomorrow 8-) ) and Taishi Ci's view is mirrored here a lot, if you are not Christian, you must be of poor character. Still my actions are within the legal guidelines of a law based on Christian morals, and I choose to do them, not to stay out of jail or to appease my god, but to make myself feel good, does anyone else think that you need to be Christian to be good. I honestly don't think that is the case at all, but do.. correct me if I am wrong.
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby moshiman » Sun Dec 29, 2002 12:23 am

Heck, no! There are TONS of Jews, Buddhists (spell?), Wiccans, Atheists, and even Satanists who are good at heart! In Buddism, they don't kill (not even insects!). Christians squash bugs every day.

So, no. You don't gotta be Christian OR Catholic even to be good. Anyone disagree?
'You live all your life, but you only die once.'
moshiman
Initiate

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sun Dec 29, 2002 12:51 am

In the twenty years of experience I've had with Christianity, I've never heard this opinion, just its opposite -- that anyone can be good no matter what their religion, but that doesn't mean they can go to heaven.

I don't choose to be good (and I do choose, I know I can be "evil" and I have done things "evil" before of choice) because of my essences of Christianity...I do so because it is my personal "code of honor" to do so. Good is my first tendency, and that doesn't come under the reflection of any of my religious beliefs.
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Travis » Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:03 am

I never said you had to be a Christian to be "good." There are lots of people in other religions that act "good" according to the Bible. Take Ganhdi for instance. People act good for many reasons, to me if I didn't believe in a God I wouldn't act good. Why waste time helping some one when I could put them out of thier misery? Because I believe I would be severly punished. Ganhdi would say he may get down graded from a human when he is reincarnated. Though Atheist are different in this case, mostly they act good for themselves. You said you get a good feeling from being good, so that is for yourself. You see many people act good for different reasons, but what I believe is they act good for the wrong reasons.
"Be on your Guard, Stand Firm in the Faith, Be Men of Courage, Be Strong, Do everything in Love" - Master Lee's School Motto-

Formerly Schwarz Bruder/Taishi Ci
Travis
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:04 am

I've only heard die-hard Christians say that kinda thing. I personally am just a 'Christian', not a Baptist, Methodist, Catholic: I just am. I haven't gone to church since I was really young. My friends that do on the otherhand, will get into arguments with our History teacher over subjects of Religion and such. Is there such thing as a Buddhist-Christian?
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby rcsha » Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:12 am

Shi Jing Xu wrote:I've only heard die-hard Christians say that kinda thing. I personally am just a 'Christian', not a Baptist, Methodist, Catholic: I just am. I haven't gone to church since I was really young. My friends that do on the otherhand, will get into arguments with our History teacher over subjects of Religion and such. Is there such thing as a Buddhist-Christian?

Yes, in a sense. There are many Christians that believe in Reincarnation, a common theme in movies is that if you were good you get to go to heaven, if you were evil you have to go to hell, and if you were kind of...neutral you get sent back to earth, or you have the choice to be reincarnated, etc....

You can't really be enough of both to consider yourself both, really, but you can be one and have beliefs of the other. Same with many other religions. Atleast that's how I see it.
Dickjutsu.com
The Bruce Lee of Dickery.
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Chu Liu Xiang » Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:14 am

IMO, religion is just another root of evil. Take the crusades, jihads, inquisitions, exoduses, holocausts, etc. for example. All needless wars that cause suffering just because of some religious differences.
"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man."
I am that bigger man. :lol:
Chu Liu Xiang
Student

Unread postby Dennis » Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:19 am

Taishi Ci wrote:I never said you had to be a Christian to be "good." There are lots of people in other religions that act "good" according to the Bible. Take Ganhdi for instance. People act good for many reasons, to me if I didn't believe in a God I wouldn't act good. Why waste time helping some one when I could put them out of thier misery? Because I believe I would be severly punished. Ganhdi would say he may get down graded from a human when he is reincarnated. Though Atheist are different in this case, mostly they act good for themselves. You said you get a good feeling from being good, so that is for yourself. You see many people act good for different reasons, but what I believe is they act good for the wrong reasons.

That'a what brings up my next question.

Why is only your faith in god keeping you from evil, what if one day god's existence was disproven? Does that mean you would go on to unleash this unchecked hatred onto the world.

What ever happened to even having a balance of an id and a superego? Is there nothing else to being good than one's faith?

I'm glad that most of you believe that goodness can be innate, but I want to know more from people, in the case you Taishi Ci, why it's only the religion.
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby Travis » Sun Dec 29, 2002 1:36 am

Jia Wenhe wrote:That's what brings up my next question.

Why is only your faith in god keeping you from evil, what if one day god's existence was disproven? Does that mean you would go on to unleash this unchecked hatred onto the world.

:sgrin: :twisted: YES! :twisted: :sgrin:

No I would still live by the Bible because it works. Even if some one were to disprove the existance of God, I would live by the Bible to give me order. And here again, for myself, because it would give me order. I just use myself as an example, because I don't believe men are naturally good, but will do what what's wrong if they can get away with it in absolute assurance.

Jia Wehne wrote:What ever happened to even having a balance of an id and a superego? Is there nothing else to being good than one's faith?

Erm pardon not quite sure what the first question is asking, but the second one, Really it's not Faith, it more of anything you believes or feel that has to do with how a person behaves.
"Be on your Guard, Stand Firm in the Faith, Be Men of Courage, Be Strong, Do everything in Love" - Master Lee's School Motto-

Formerly Schwarz Bruder/Taishi Ci
Travis
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dennis » Sun Dec 29, 2002 2:41 am

Taishi Ci wrote:Erm pardon not quite sure what the first question is asking, but the second one, Really it's not Faith, it more of anything you believes or feel that has to do with how a person behaves.

Id and Superego are the innate balances in your psychology that keep you from being to unhappy and unsatisfied in terms of pleasure and desire, and making sure you also conform to a social norm.
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy