Aphantasia

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Aphantasia

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:55 pm

Has anyone heard of aphantasia before?

Essentially it is where you don't have a functioning minds eye. Like you can't voluntarily create images in your head (dreams are different - it's subconscious). I read about it very recently and I was like, huh, that explains a lot!

I always thought it was strange when people were told to count sheep because I could never form an image of a sheep in my head. I was just counting. Then when the Harry Potter movies came out and people were saying, this actor or actress didn't look like I'd imagined. I didn't ever have a picture in my head!

Like sitting here, in the room over from my wife I couldn't generate a picture of her face in my head no matter how hard I tried.

Does anyone else struggle with this? It appears to be a growing field of study - there is a guy at Exeter university who is doing some research into it that I'm following with much interest!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Re: Aphantasia

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:57 pm

Very interesting; never heard of this before. I can’t say that I have this characteristic. My imagination has always been vivid.

I especially can’t relate to you saying you don’t visualize characters from books. One of the biggest reasons I avoid book-to-movie adaptations is because they conflict with my imagination too much. :lol:

Don’t call it a struggle — it’s just how your brain works. Who’s to say it’s wrong? You don’t know any differently so what’s the struggle? :wink:
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:02 pm

Very good point about phrasing! I spent a while composing the first line, I didn't want to call it a condition for example for that very reason! :lol:

It does cause me some struggles though! For example, story writing. I don't know what my characters look like because I don't have an image of them because that's not how my mind works! This BBC article reassures me though, many of Pixar's leading animators also don't have a mind's eye!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:10 pm

I can see how it’d interfere with story writing. Though there are some great writers that have very little descriptions of character appearance in their books. (And in the opposite end of the spectrum where authors describe every single little detail, this can get annoying imo. :lol: )

Maybe you need to give your brain something to look at; maybe you could doodle a character from your story first and then describe what you’ve drawn.
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:14 pm

Yeah, that is almost certainly the way to go! I probably need to commission someone to draw a picture for me, as I'm so bad at drawing my art teaching told me she'd kill herself if I was in her class the next year. I also tend to skip over author description is I don't find it interesting! Now we know why!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:18 pm

That sounds like a challenge to me. You should’ve enrolled in her class just to call her bluff. :lol:
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:21 pm

It was literally the only reason I was vaguely tempted! :lol:
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:20 pm

Saw this discussion topic and immediately thought it was about aphasia. But yes, that would seem like a rather difficult hurdle to surmount when writing literature. (Difficult, but perhaps not impossible.)
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:55 pm

Never heard about it before. The explanations given are very questionable. If the ventral stream is indeed affected (as suggested in the 2nd article), then you won't be able to "see" normally not just "imagine". And they shouldn't bother with subjective likert scale to start with, regardless whether it correlates with MRI or not.
The phenomenon itself is pretty interesting though.
Do what you believe is right and don't be distracted by praises or insults.
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:27 pm

Sounds like you have a far better grasp of the science than I do!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy