RTK and history

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

RTK and history

Unread postby XuanPin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:03 am

I recently began Graff's Medieval Chinese Warfare (download it free at https://de.slideshare.net/JohnnyHillier ... nload-free) and was shocked to learn that the RTK account, with its Homeric battles of individual heroes, apparently didn't happen. It seems to have been huge conscript forces moved around like chessmen by general and experts far from the front.

I'm wondering what other books would help me get the facts behind the story. Particularly as regards the practical details of weapons, training, tactics and camp life?
XuanPin
Apprentice

Re: RTK and history

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:28 pm

Graff's book is outstanding and is very unusual in that it actually focuses on the military history which is a hugely understudied part of Han history. :(

This thesis might be a good starting point.

Prof De Crispigny does a section on units in his book Generals of The South which is well worth reading.

This thread contains a list of many of the history book written about the period and you might find some good books to read there too.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby XuanPin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:35 pm

Thank you! By the by, do you know how RdC manages to make his work accessible in free PDFs while so many online scholarly journals do all they can to make even book reviews inaccessible to independent scholars?
XuanPin
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:47 pm

Rafe's books start off for sale only, but once they stop printing them he makes them free to access. As to why he takes that approach unlike many others I'm clueless. However he comes across as a really great guy - many people here have sent him emails over the years and received helpful, pleasant responses in reply!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby XuanPin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:34 am

Thanks for the reference to Talons and Fangs! I bought it on Kindle. It is exactly what I was looking for, and I am devouring the chapters! I will check your other recommendations as well, but the first one is a real winner!
XuanPin
Apprentice

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:08 am

Good! I'm glad its what you wanted :D.

I don't know if you read the thread itself, but I would urge caution when reading the officer biographies, they don't necessarily agree with other sources.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy