SoSZ Member Libraries

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: SoSZ Member Libraries

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:03 pm

Jia Nanfeng wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:
Looking at what to ask for from my parents for Christmas and one of my options is Early Medieval China: A Sourcebook which I noticed you've just bought Jia. Any thoughts?

I haven’t spent a ton of time with Sourcebook yet so I don’t want to sell you on it quite yet. I’ll definitely take a good look at it over the next few days. I might be a bit biased in the end though because it has Jen-Der Lee's biography of Xu Yi in it, which is one of my favorite academic works.

I’ll let you know asap!

Have you had a chance to become more acquainted with the Sourebook, Jia?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:53 am

Sun Fin wrote:
Jia Nanfeng wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:
Looking at what to ask for from my parents for Christmas and one of my options is Early Medieval China: A Sourcebook which I noticed you've just bought Jia. Any thoughts?

I haven’t spent a ton of time with Sourcebook yet so I don’t want to sell you on it quite yet. I’ll definitely take a good look at it over the next few days. I might be a bit biased in the end though because it has Jen-Der Lee's biography of Xu Yi in it, which is one of my favorite academic works.

I’ll let you know asap!

Have you had a chance to become more acquainted with the Sourebook, Jia?

Oof! I completely forgot to post. I'm sorry! :cry:

I spent some time with it today.

I read the section that's relevant to my interests (Ch. 6, Relations with the Unseen World) and loved each article in it. Especially Campany's articles... but I am a huge fan of him already. I then went back and browsed through the other sections, and will likely read the whole book over the next couple weeks.

There are 38 articles it total, covering all sorts of topics, such as government, culture, poetry, religion and the supernatural. Honestly I think it'd be hard to not find a bunch of articles relevant to your interests; they did a good job covering all bases. Some of the articles are short (2-3 pages) whereas others can be much longer (25-30 pages).

However, one thing to weigh before you commit to a purchase: the articles cover topics relevant to years 180 through 590. Only 3 articles address pre-3K events. There's 9 articles addressing 3K and Western Jin. The remaining 26 articles address post-Western Jin, meaning the majority of the book focuses primarily on the Eastern Jin, 16K, and Song eras.

Some of these later articles reflect on past Han and 3K events, however.

Personally, I think it's probably my second favorite book I've bought this year. But I could understand someone being disappointed with the lack of Han- and 3K-era articles.
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:57 am

I use oneline resources like the biographies here, the novel itself, the De Crespigny papers and xuesangou's sgz. I fear google sheets might be beyond me

In terms of actual books:
De Crespigny's encyclopaedia
Farmer's Talent of Shu aka the Qiao Zhou book
Empress and Consorts

PDF:
Sima Guang's ZZTJ from De Crespigny's site
Man From Margin
Generals of the South
Latter Han religious mass movements and the early Daoist church by Grégoire Espesset (I used Jia Nanfeng's link)
De Crespigny's A Three Kingdoms and Western Jin
Ladies of the Court of Emperor Huan of Han from De Crespigny
ZZTJ from Emperor Huan to Cao Cao's death
Portents of Protest in Later Han Dynasty (not yet read)
Some poems and Rhapsodies of the Later Han and Three Kingdoms
The Development of the Chinese Empire in the South, a thesis by De Crespigny

I can borrow or discuss (might need a day or two to get hold of it depending what is asked)
Fire Over Luoyang
Imperial Warlord
May have a few more things in months ahead for thise segment
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:32 am

Jia Nanfeng wrote:Oof! I completely forgot to post. I'm sorry! :cry:

That's alright! I hate to think of how many threads are littered around this forum where I've forgotten to reply to someone!

Jia Nanfeng wrote:There are 38 articles it total, covering all sorts of topics, such as government, culture, poetry, religion and the supernatural. Honestly I think it'd be hard to not find a bunch of articles relevant to your interests; they did a good job covering all bases. Some of the articles are short (2-3 pages) whereas others can be much longer (25-30 pages).

However, one thing to weigh before you commit to a purchase: the articles cover topics relevant to years 180 through 590. Only 3 articles address pre-3K events. There's 9 articles addressing 3K and Western Jin. The remaining 26 articles address post-Western Jin, meaning the majority of the book focuses primarily on the Eastern Jin, 16K, and Song eras.

Some of these later articles reflect on past Han and 3K events, however.

Personally, I think it's probably my second favorite book I've bought this year. But I could understand someone being disappointed with the lack of Han- and 3K-era articles.

That doesn't put me off! Trying to find a source exclusively about the Later Han/3K era, which isn't written by Rafe and costing a small fortune is virtually impossible. Most of my library only contain sections on our period. I'm definitely interested, will look to buy it when I can!

Dong Zhou wrote:I use oneline resources like the biographies here, the novel itself, the De Crespigny papers and xuesangou's sgz. I fear google sheets might be beyond me

In terms of actual books:
De Crespigny's encyclopaedia
Farmer's Talent of Shu aka the Qiao Zhou book
Empress and Consorts

PDF:
Sima Guang's ZZTJ from De Crespigny's site
Man From Margin
Generals of the South
Latter Han religious mass movements and the early Daoist church by Grégoire Espesset (I used Jia Nanfeng's link)
De Crespigny's A Three Kingdoms and Western Jin
Ladies of the Court of Emperor Huan of Han from De Crespigny
ZZTJ from Emperor Huan to Cao Cao's death
Portents of Protest in Later Han Dynasty (not yet read)
Some poems and Rhapsodies of the Later Han and Three Kingdoms
The Development of the Chinese Empire in the South, a thesis by De Crespigny

I can borrow or discuss (might need a day or two to get hold of it depending what is asked)
Fire Over Luoyang
Imperial Warlord
May have a few more things in months ahead for thise segment

Thanks Dong! I would love a copy of Rafe's tome! Farmer's book is also high on my priority list. Hoping I might win a copy in the next month or so...

There are too many books in the £20-£40 bracket that I would like at the moment :lol:.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:10 pm

Sun Fin wrote:That doesn't put me off! Trying to find a source exclusively about the Later Han/3K era, which isn't written by Rafe and costing a small fortune is virtually impossible. Most of my library only contain sections on our period. I'm definitely interested, will look to buy it when I can!

Most of my books are that way too.

I just wanted to let you know the ratio so you can weigh what you’re willing to pay. :mrgreen: I think you’ll like the book! A lot of the articles cover more “obscure” topics that don’t fit into other books; especially those involving translations.

Also thanks for posting Dong! I’ll link to your post in the list.
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:46 am

I've tried to get accustomed to Google Sheets, but yeah. Me give up big time on that thing. SO I'll post my list here.

Physical

Empresses and Consorts: Selections from Chen Shou's Records of the Three States with Pei Songzhi's Commentary by Robert Joe Cutter and William Gordon Crowell
Zhu Xi's Reading of the Analects (with commentary by <3 He Yan <3) by Daniel K. Gardener
Xun Xu and the Politics of Precision in Third-Century AD China By Howard L. Goodman
The Calligrapher Chung Yu (Ca. 163-230) and the Demogaphics of a myth by Howard L. Goodman

PDF

Imperial Warlord by Rafe de Crespigny
Biographical Dictionary of the Later Han to Three Kingdoms by Rafe de Crespigny
Fires over Luoyang by Rafe de Crespigny
How I came to doubt Qing Scholarship: The Csae of Yao Zhenzong and Qiao Zhou's Records of the Later Han by Michael J. Farmer
The Reunification of China in AD 280: Jin's Conquest of Eastern Wu by John W. Killigrew
A case study of Chinese civil warfare: The Cao‐Wei conquest of Shu‐Han in AD 263 by John W. Killigrew
On Reading Cao Zhi's "Three Good Men": Yong shi shi or Deng lin shi? by Robert Joe Cutter
Shishuo xinyu and the Death of Cao Zhang by Robert Joe Cutter
Becoming Wen: The Rhetoric in the "Final Edicts" of Han Emperor Wen and Wei Emperor Wen by Meow Hui Goh
Writing History, Writing Fiction by Anne E. Mclaren
Cao Zhi's (192-232) Symposium Poems by Robert Joe Cutter
Cai Yan and the Poems Attributed to Her by Hans H. Frankel
The Accession of Sima Yan, AD 265: Legitimation by Ritual Replication by Carl Leban
The Craft of a Chinese Commentator: Wang Bi on the Laozi by Rudolf G. Wagner
A Chinese Reading of the Daedejing: Wang Bi's Commentary on the Laozi with Critical Text and Translation by Rudolf G. Wagner
The Death of Empress Zhen: Fiction and Historiography in Early Medieval China by Robert Joe Cutter
He Van, Xuanxue and the Editorship of the Lunyu by John Makeham
A History of Court Lyrics in China during Wei-Chin Times by Howard L. Goodman
Shouchun and Its Pivotal Role Between North and South in Early Medieval China by Bill Crowell
Heaven and Death According to Huangfu Mi, A Third-century Confucian by Keith N. Knapp
Jia Nanfeng, Yang Yan, Yang Zhi biographies by Michael J. Farmer
Jian’an Literature Revisited: Poetic Dialogues in the Last Three Decades of the Han Dynasty by Hsiang-Lin Shih
The Life and Legacy of Liu Biao: Governor, Warlord, and Imperial Pretender in Late Han China by Andrew Chittick
The Last Word? Lu Yun's "Nanzheng Fu" by Sujane Wu
The Biography of Lu Yun (262-303) in Jin shu 54 by Sujane Wu
Neo-Taoism and the "Seven Sages of the Bamboo Grove" in Chinese Painting by Ellen Johnston Laing
On the composition of Zhang Hua's "Nushi Zhen" by Michael J. Farmer
A Hundred and Seventy Chinese Poems by Arthur Waley
Ranking Men and Assessing Talent: Xiahou Xuan’s Response to an Inquiry by Sima Yi by Timothy M. Davis
Poetry and Politics: The life and Works of Juan Chi, A.D. 210-263 by Donald Holzman
Ruan Ji's and Xi Kang's Visits to Two “Immortals” by Tim Wai-Keung Chan
Ssu-ma I (179-251): Wei statesman and Chin founder. An historiographical inquiry by Anthony Bruce Fairbank
From Sanguo zhi to Sanguo zhi yanyi: The Role of Sun Quan and the Development of the Three Kingdoms Historiography by Hyung-Jong Lee
Naturalness and Authenticity: The Poetry of Tao Qian by Yim-tze Kwong
Rewriting a Recluse: The Early Biographers' Construction of Tao Yuanming by Wendy Swartz
Ts'ao P'i Transcendent: The Political Culture of Dynasty-Founding in China at the End of the Han by Howard L. Goodman
Ancient and Early Medieval Chinese Literature A Reference Guide Part Two by David R. Knechtges and Taiping Chang
Ancient and Early Medieval Chinese Literature A Reference Guide Part Three by David R. Knechtges and Taiping Chang
From Spirited Youth to Loyal Official: Life Writing and Didacticism in the Jin shu Biography of Wang Dao by Matthew V. Wells
Wei-Jin Sacrificial Ballets: Reform versus Conservation by Kevin A. Jensen
Sites of Recognition: Burial, Mourning, and Commemoration in the Xun Family of Yingchuan, AD 140–305 by Howard L Goodman
Wet Nurses in Early Imperial China by Jen-der Lee
Xun Xu and the Politics of Precision in Third-Century AD China By Howard L. Goodman
A QUESTION OF LOYALTY: Xun Yu, Cao Cao and Sima Guang by Rafe de Crespigny
Zhang Hua (232-300) by Michael J. Farmer
Ming Audiences and Vernacular Hermeneutics: The Uses of "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms" by Anne E. McLaren
Zhong Hui's "Laozi" Commentary and the Debate on Capacity and Nature in Third-Century China by Alan K.L. Chan
A Garden of Marvels: Tales of Wonder from Early Medieval China by Robert Ford Campany
The Orphan Ts’ao P’i, His Odd Poem, and Its Historiographic Frame by Howard L. Goodman
The Kung-sun Warlords of Liao-tung by K. H. J. Gardiner
Last edited by DaoLunOfShiji on Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:07 am

Thanks for posting, DaoLun! I'll add your post to the list.

So many people have Empresses and Consorts... why the heck haven't I bought it yet. :|
Jia Nanfeng
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:53 am

Gosh, your pdf collection really is impressive DaoLun! There are a few things on there I hadn't heard of before! If you could recommend one non-RDC source which would it be?

@Jia - I seem to recall asking that a page or two ago? :wink: I did look recently, I picked it up for £9, the cheapest its on amazon.co.uk now is £60+. I was following it for three years before it got to a price I was prepared to pay.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:12 pm

Jia Nanfeng wrote:So many people have Empresses and Consorts... why the heck haven't I bought it yet. :|

You're crazy? :P It's a terrific book, though if you're just looking for the biographies Xuesanguo has translated nearly all of them over on tumblr. I think the commentary from Crowell and Cutter is fantastic though.

Sun Fin wrote:Gosh, your pdf collection really is impressive DaoLun! There are a few things on there I hadn't heard of before! If you could recommend one non-RDC source which would it be?

Non-RDC source, eh? Hmm... Probably Zhong Hui's "Laozi" Commentary and the Debate on Capacity and Nature in Third-Century China by Alan K.L. Chan, but that's also about my favorite historical figure of all time, and does a terrific job showing his life and his relationships to others, along with delving into his views on the dao for those into that sort of thing. Ts'ao P'i Transcendent: The Political Culture of Dynasty-Founding in China at the End of the Han by Howard L. Goodman is another I'd recommend, though it's extremely pricey. I'm a Wei guy, I make no secret about it :lol: but this book does an incredible job to speak to Wei's foundation, many of the families and delves into Cao Pi. Fascinating read for sure.
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
DaoLunOfShiji
Scholar

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:50 pm

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:Non-RDC source, eh? Hmm... Probably Zhong Hui's "Laozi" Commentary and the Debate on Capacity and Nature in Third-Century China by Alan K.L. Chan, but that's also about my favorite historical figure of all time, and does a terrific job showing his life and his relationships to others, along with delving into his views on the dao for those into that sort of thing. Ts'ao P'i Transcendent: The Political Culture of Dynasty-Founding in China at the End of the Han by Howard L. Goodman is another I'd recommend, though it's extremely pricey. I'm a Wei guy, I make no secret about it :lol: but this book does an incredible job to speak to Wei's foundation, many of the families and delves into Cao Pi. Fascinating read for sure.

That's cool! I've not come across the Zhong Hui source before, is it a book, a chapter of a book, a jornal entry or something else?

I've added some more pdfs to my library - RDC's books that his published online and the Talons thesis I shared a few months ago!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy