SoSZ Member Libraries

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: SoSZ Member Libraries

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:11 am

Yeah Amazon only has one copy... at £275.35. That might be slightly out my price range. :cry:

In good news Fires Over Luoyang has dropped in price by 45% to £85.71 so that is approaching a range where I could finally consider picking it up!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Aaron.K » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:36 am

As a note, I've learned this from an author who has published a number of research papers, the author usually gets nothing from the publisher in regards to sales for their essay/paper, and oftentimes has to pay to even be published in that journal. They are however allowed to give copies of it to anyone who asks them personally, therefore if you do happen to come across papers that are in academic journals, it never hurts to try and email the author (or if it's a series of authors, the first couple; though sometimes you need permission from all of them) and ask them for a copy. Most of the time they're more than happy to give you one.

Doesn't help with books obviously, but at the very least you'll generally not have to pay $30 or $40 for a paper that might only end up being 10 pages long.
"Don't trust anyone. Never sit with your back to an entrance. Wear shoes with reversed footprints."
Aaron.K
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:33 pm

As promised months ago (after a friendly reminder from Jia) I've started to work on this. You can find it here! Consider it a work in progress for the time being! I can't make any commitments on how often I'll be able to update it either I'm afraid! But enjoy it as it is!

As a n00b on google documents, Jia how do you make all the unused cells disappear? :oops:
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:47 pm

Sun Fin wrote:As promised months ago (after a friendly reminder from Jia) I've started to work on this. You can find it here! Consider it a work in progress for the time being! I can't make any commitments on how often I'll be able to update it either I'm afraid! But enjoy it as it is!

As a n00b on google documents, Jia how do you make all the unused cells disappear? :oops:

Thanks for posting!

To make unused cells disappear, I just select them using either the row or column headers, right click and say Delete!

Feel free to just list in a post here if Google Docs is a pain. I didn’t intend to make people feel like they had to use it just cuz I did. :oops:
Jia Nanfeng
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks! I've done it now! Always happy to learn new skills! :D
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:02 pm

I’ve added your list to the main post, Fin!
Jia Nanfeng
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:29 pm

Thanks Jia! :D I've added all the hard copy books I own to the list. Next time I have a chance I'll add my ebooks and some pdfs! Hope y'all find it useful!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:27 pm

My new copy of Early Chinese Religion: Part One: Shang Through Han (1250 BC-220 AD) arrived yesterday! Very excited!

Looking at what to ask for from my parents for Christmas and one of my options is Early Medieval China: A Sourcebook which I noticed you've just bought Jia. Any thoughts?
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:49 pm

Sun Fin wrote:My new copy of Early Chinese Religion: Part One: Shang Through Han (1250 BC-220 AD) arrived yesterday! Very excited!

Looking at what to ask for from my parents for Christmas and one of my options is Early Medieval China: A Sourcebook which I noticed you've just bought Jia. Any thoughts?

Congrats on your book arriving. :mrgreen:

I haven’t spent a ton of time with Sourcebook yet so I don’t want to sell you on it quite yet. I’ll definitely take a good look at it over the next few days. I might be a bit biased in the end though because it has Jen-Der Lee's biography of Xu Yi in it, which is one of my favorite academic works.

I’ll let you know asap!
Jia Nanfeng
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:40 pm

:lol: Thanks!

There's no rush! It's a decision between that one or for both Legends of the Warring States and Bielenstein's The Bureaucracy of Han Times which come out at a similar price!

Also, I've now updated my spreadsheet with my new book as well as the ones I have on kindle. All that is left are the few pdfs I have saved on my computer - think GOS and the Talons thesis I shared fairly recently!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy