Daoism?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Daoism?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun May 13, 2018 6:55 pm

I want to learn more about Daoism! What do you guys think the most important aspects of the philosophy? Do you think it’s a philosophy or a religion? Are there any resources you’d recommend I read?
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Re: Daoism?

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sun May 20, 2018 2:02 am

We chatted about sources already, but I remembered another that I completely forgot about:

The book China: Five Thousand Years of History & Civilization
Ye, Lang, et al. China: Five Thousand Years of History and Civilization. 1st ed., City University of Hong Kong Press, 2008. ISBN 9629371405.

This has long been one of my go-to books for history and general cultural. I remembered today that it also has extensive coverage of religions, including Daoism. I recommend this book as a good shelf tome for days you just need to know something but are too lazy to turn on the PC. :mrgreen:
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Jia Nanfeng
Assistant

Re: Daoism?

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:27 pm

My priest at St Herman's recommended I read Christ the Eternal Tao by Hieromonk Damascene. It was a fairly good read, more interesting for the historical and philosophical background than for the actual argument trying to synthesise Daoism with Christianity.

That said, now I really want to go back and read the Laozi.

Sent from my SM-J327U using Tapatalk
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy