Chinese Mythology

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Chinese Mythology

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:28 am

I was looking on Wikipedia at mythical Chinese creatures and I came across this description:

Xiāo (魈; xiao1): mountain spirit or demon

However I've not been able to find anything more about them. Does anyone else know more about these Xiao? I'm also wondering if this might be where Xiao Qiao's name came from?
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Re: Chinese Mythology

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:58 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I'm also wondering if this might be where Xiao Qiao's name came from?

Xiao Qiao’s name means “Younger Qiao”, compared to her sister Da Qiao which means “Older Qiao”.

For more info on the demon, did you see its Wiki page?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiao_(mythology)
Last edited by Jia Nanfeng on Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jia Nanfeng
Initiate

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:01 pm

Hah! Now you say that I'm ashamed I'd forgotten! I don't suppose you know anything about these mythical 'qiao''?
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:03 pm

I just edited my post. Check out that link and I’ll also look if my Chinese religion books mention it. :)
Jia Nanfeng
Initiate

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:11 pm

Thank you for the link :D.

On this Wikipedia page which lists Chinese mythical creatures, Xiao are listed twice.

Once under the title of Simian and the described as Xiao (mythology), described as 'a long-armed ape or a four-winged bird'. This one links to the Wikipedia page that you posted. :D

The other one is under the heading Humanoid and their description is '(魈; xiao1): mountain spirit or demon'. this one doesn't link to another page. I don't know if these are the same, just accidentally listed twice and described differently or if they are distinct legends!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:44 pm

I’m unsure if they are distinct. The Wiki page I linked indeed mentions the mountain spirit/demon fella, as the variant “shanxiao”. Yet also, the ape fella is quoted there as coming from mountains.

The “Religious System of China” book offers an illustration of the lovely mountain humanoid, as can be seen in the Archive link here:
https://archive.org/stream/religioussystem05groo#page/n64/mode/1up

The only other information I was able to find in my religion books is a brief mention in “They Shall Expel Demons” by Li Jianmin, in a quote by Huangzi Gao’ao from Zhuangzi jiaoquan wherein he is describing the various ghosts:
“...in the mountains lives the uniped 夔...”

The name “uniped” would of course mean one-legged, which seems to match the description given in the Wiki link of the shanxiao. It may indeed be the spirit you’re looking for, the simian one-legged mountain ghost. :)

It's also worth noting that the descriptive terms "simian" and "humanoid" aren't too different, depending on how literal they're supposed to be taken. It may just come down to whether the source in question subjectively thinks it leans more ape-ish or human-ish on the Hominidae scale.
Jia Nanfeng
Initiate

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy