English translation for Three Kingdoms Lianhuanhua?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

English translation for Three Kingdoms Lianhuanhua?

Unread postby choppic » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:35 am

Hi guys,
Has anyone made/published English version of the old Three Kingdoms Lianhuanhua (I hope I typed this correctly?

I googled for it but so far I only found French and Indonesian translations.

Thank you!
choppic
Tyro

Re: English translation for Three Kingdoms Lianhuanhua?

Unread postby Starscream » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:28 am

Hi,
there used to be an old publication by Canfonian Pte Ltd in the 90s but it was discontinued. There were 3 volumes in total and featured the more major chapters of three kingdoms. Used to find them in the public library but not sure if they still exist anymore.

In comparison, the original chinese lianhuanhua comprises of 5 volumes and includes much of the Sima Yi era stories. I have been searching around to collect the entire set but even the Chinese version is difficult to find. :|
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:29 am

Starscream wrote:In comparison, the original chinese lianhuanhua comprises of 5 volumes and includes much of the Sima Yi era stories. I have been searching around to collect the entire set but even the Chinese version is difficult to find. :|

Are there more than one version? Because my set is 10 volumes, and I've seen pocket-sized ones with even more.

I don't remember much of the Sima Yi era stories because I remember when I was a kid, once I got to where all the original Shu cast were dying off I was like "this is a crap story!" and stopped reading the lianhuanhua :-/
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby choppic » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:25 am

You can buy the Chinese edition from this website:
http://product.dangdang.com/20399100.html

Unfortunately I don't read Chinese :-(
choppic
Tyro

Unread postby bro3rd » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:20 am

Oh ! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
As a Chinese man, 8-) I'm in surprise that there is actually such a forum talks about Three Kingdoms!

You said about Lianhuanhua?
10 minutes ago, I was searching Lianhuanhua of Three Kingdoms on shopping website, and someone told me there's a forum talking about Three Kingdoms.
In China, the Lianhuanhua is drew by Pu Huihua(蒲慧华 , does the Chinese words display normally?). :wink:

It's so amazing that people speaking English could be interested in ThreeKingdoms. I was always thinking, besides Chinese, only Japanese show interest in it. :D :D

I like reading Three Kingdoms and in my high-school period I had read full of this book for 6 times. That is because my teacher who taught Chinese said " You will feel different if you read Three Kingdoms another time. If you have not read 5 times, don't say you have read Three kingdoms :D :D :D "

So I registered an account just now. I want to see how people, not Chinese, think of this book :P :P :P
:P :P :P May be it is 3 am in America~~~~
bro3rd
Tyro

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:25 pm

Welcome to SoSZ, br03rd! (and yes the characters are showing properly)

It's funny how the internet works. I think you're the first one to stumble on this little corner of the internet via the lianhuanhua; most people get here via the games.

Did you manage to find a set of the books?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy