The "Three Caos'" poetry

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: The "Three Caos'" poetry

Unread postby capricornkid28 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:07 pm

Why no mention of 龜雖壽 (Though the Tortoise Lives Long) or 短歌行 (Short Song Style)? They're on the Poety of Cao Cao Wikipedia page. Is there a chance that page is inaccurate in attributing those to him?
capricornkid28
Apprentice

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:46 am

capricornkid28 wrote:Why no mention of 龜雖壽 (Though the Tortoise Lives Long) or 短歌行 (Short Song Style)? They're on the Poety of Cao Cao Wikipedia page. Is there a chance that page is inaccurate in attributing those to him?

No, those are indeed his poems. However, I started the thread with the idea to post my own translations, so I didn't include ones that other people translated. However, feel free to add them here, attributed to the original translator, of course.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby capricornkid28 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:57 pm

Lady Wu wrote:No, those are indeed his poems. However, I started the thread with the idea to post my own translations, so I didn't include ones that other people translated. However, feel free to add them here, attributed to the original translator, of course.

My mistake. Upon double-checking, your OP made that fairly evident. I would submit them myself, but the translator appears to be uncredited on that aforementioned page.

Glad to know that they were indeed the work of Cao Mengde. I enjoyed both of them. Your translation of Haoli Xing is probably my favorite of his, though. I appreciate all of your efforts to make these pieces more accessible to us unilingual English speakers.
capricornkid28
Apprentice

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy