Would people wage war if they knew how big the universe is?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Would people wage war if they knew how big the universe is?

Unread postby DouglasRiese1994 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:30 pm

I want to get other people's opinion on this. I heard someone say that if people knew how big the universe was, they would laugh at the idea of going to war with each other when the universe is so big. Do you think that's true, that people would actually stop going to war if they knew how big the universe is? I don't expect anyone to know for sure if they would, I don't know either, I just want people's opinion's.

If anyone's wondering where I got this idea from, it's from the end of this video where an astrophysicist named Neil Degrasse Tyson is talking about the size of the universe. It's around the 9:30 mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALs0QsVrYyE
DouglasRiese1994
Tyro

Re: Would people wage war if they knew how big the universe

Unread postby DragonAtma » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:04 am

Yes, they would. They shouldn't, but they would.

It's a bit like Richards Gatling's attempt to create a deadly gun to show how futile wars were. They still use a similar type today, a hundred and fifty years later, and wars still occur.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:05 pm

I simply don't understand why he thinks understanding the size of the universe would have any effect on why wars are fought. His comment on killing people just to cross a line in the sand makes me think he doesn't understand why they're fought.

DragonAtma wrote:It's a bit like Richards Gatling's attempt to create a deadly gun to show how futile wars were. They still use a similar type today, a hundred and fifty years later, and wars still occur.

Pretty sure I read the same logic was used about bombers, too.

Edit: For further clarification, I'm of the mind that most (not all) wars are fought for either greed (for resources or land or even income from trading or to forcibly open up markets) or hatred/revenge. I don't really think understanding the cosmic insignificance any nation ultimately has or how much there is to see out there would temper either of those reasons.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:51 am

I don't see it changing human nature. Even if it sunk in how big the universe is, that is more likely to affect religion, technology, philosophy but I struggle to think of wars that would be stopped by knowing the size of the universe.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:56 pm

I fail to see how the knowledge of how vast the universe is would impact us in any meaningful fashion at all. We still have a finite lifetime on a world with finite resources and humans with faults and ambitions. The vastness of the universe is for thinkers to ponder, but it has no real life impact at this time for us.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:00 pm

All it means is someday there might be more territory to conquer.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:13 pm

If the question is changed to something more along the lines of *experience* how big the universe is, then perhaps it should have an impact. Human nature is to view the world from the bubble surrounding us. It's why one person stresses more about cleaning dishes than most any other trial in life and another about feeding their starving children. Or why the conflict with a neighbor seems so credible while a conflict with another country seems a bit more distant.

When I think of this I think of Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot.

When you're able to take a step back and see a bigger picture what you see changes, and local grievances and concerns can quickly appear far more petty. Which is why I think taking many steps back could lend some insight. What I don't have faith in, though, is that those people, having taken steps back and contemplated, however briefly, the big picture, would defy human nature once they acclimate themselves once again to their own little corner of the world once again.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:38 am

Unless all resource issues get resolved, I imagine conflict will always arise.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby DragonAtma » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:45 pm

Gray Riders wrote:I simply don't understand why he thinks understanding the size of the universe would have any effect on why wars are fought. His comment on killing people just to cross a line in the sand makes me think he doesn't understand why they're fought.

DragonAtma wrote:It's a bit like Richards Gatling's attempt to create a deadly gun to show how futile wars were. They still use a similar type today, a hundred and fifty years later, and wars still occur.

Pretty sure I read the same logic was used about bombers, too.

Edit: For further clarification, I'm of the mind that most (not all) wars are fought for either greed (for resources or land or even income from trading or to forcibly open up markets) or hatred/revenge. I don't really think understanding the cosmic insignificance any nation ultimately has or how much there is to see out there would temper either of those reasons.

If it helps, they FINALLY had a wake-up call after Hiroshima & Nagasaki. Of course, there are still a whole bunch of lunatics who'd use nuclear weapons, but at least there's SOME progress.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shozuhn » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:57 pm

I fail to see how merely comprehending the universes size would eliminate war.
Perhaps the question posed implies that people are traveling between stars and finding numerous inhabitable planets with which to settle. I guess i could see how that could help prevent some wars.
But even if every faction/government had it's own planet, I think many would still be waging war against other planets. And I'm sure many would see splits in their own ranks and fight between themselves.
Unfortunately, people just seem to have a desire to wage war. And I don't see them ever stopping...
Shozuhn
Initiate

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy