Would people wage war if they knew how big the universe is?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: Would people wage war if they knew how big the universe

Unread postby James » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:53 pm

Shozuhn wrote:I fail to see how merely comprehending the universes size would eliminate war.

It's something I can see having an impact on individuals. The problem with war is that it doesn't so much take a society to begin it (society needs to be strongly unified one way or another to really impact this), but rather a much smaller subset of a society in leadership to really get the gears turning.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:50 pm

Shozuhn wrote:But even if every faction/government had it's own planet, I think many would still be waging war against other planets. And I'm sure many would see splits in their own ranks and fight between themselves.

I agree with you on that, it is hard to see earth colonies remaining unified with every other colony
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:33 am

No, this definitely would not halt war.

Even in the most perfect society, even in a world undivided, even if we were hyper advanced and ascended to the stars, we would still be killing each other. There would still be murder, there would still be thieves and drug dealers, and there would still be prejudice. The pitfalls of human nature are just too prevalent for them to be wiped out completely.
"There's no one I'd rather be, than me" -Ralph
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby fighting_bacon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:11 am

Redundant post, given the previous opinions, but I don't see how it could end war either.

I think people in the past had some concept of the vastness of the world (though our comprehension of this vastness is closer to reality), but that didn't stop them from attacking each other. Perhaps it has to do with immediate concerns of society versus the concept of being awed at the size of the universe.
fighting_bacon
Tyro

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy