Sex and reproducing

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Sex and reproducing

Unread postby Korin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:38 am

I believe sex is only for reproducing, I know people do it for pleasure but that's the want not need. Sex is only for reproducing, nothing else. People only do it for pleasure because they want something out of some one, or they are just bored.
Soshi.
User avatar
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Sex and reproducing

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:54 am

Korin wrote:I believe sex is only for reproducing, I know people do it for pleasure but that's the want not need. Sex is only for reproducing, nothing else. People only do it for pleasure because they want something out of some one, or they are just bored.


There are physiological benefits to humans having sex. I'm not sure this is the forum to host this thread. Also I'm not sure what the point of the thread is.
User avatar
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 4315
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:22 am
Location: US

Re: Sex and reproducing

Unread postby James » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:51 pm

Korin wrote:I believe sex is only for reproducing, I know people do it for pleasure but that's the want not need. Sex is only for reproducing, nothing else. People only do it for pleasure because they want something out of some one, or they are just bored.

When you say 'sex is for reproducing, nothing else', consider the authority on which you make that statement. Is it your belief? Something a church has taught you? Can the same not apply to an argument that sex also has value as a recreational activity or an activity of psychological benefit?

There are other reasons why people have sex. For one, it is hard to think of a better way to share some intimate time between two lovers—to tune out the world, all worldly worries, and simply be together. If we confine sex to the sole role of reproduction—treat it as a tool—we are also denying ourselves the opportunity to benefit from all its positive aspects.

Moved to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
User avatar
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish
 
Posts: 17953
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:21 pm
Location: Happy Valley, UT

Re: Sex and reproducing

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:24 pm

James wrote:Something a church has taught you?


You certainly shouldn't find that teaching in a church. Just reading Songs of Solomon’s would show that God gave us sex as a wonderful gift, of course what you would find in many churches is that like anything it is best enjoyed responsibly and in the correct context; which I would define as marriage.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
User avatar
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 7203
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: The birthplace of radio

Re: Sex and reproducing

Unread postby Korin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:30 pm

SukeHead,

There's also flaws, I'm against the random sex with strangers, STDs, etc... also too much is bad for you. I say once a year is good.

James,
Sex is a tool, the only other reason people use is to blackmail people. Also people can talk it out in long night walks instead of
f'ing
- mature content, alert.

Fin,

I'm against the random sex with strangers, and STDs. I hate STDs, it makes you sick and die. Also I believe there is more than 'God' - as the Gods are extraterrestrials who control the universe with a Iron fist and can take on any form.

It is a tool overall, and is only used for reproducing.
Soshi.
User avatar
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Sex and reproducing

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:49 pm

Korin wrote:SukeHead,


Its Shik, Shika, or Shikanosuke. Whichever you prefer.

There's also flaws, I'm against the random sex with strangers, STDs, etc... also too much is bad for you. I say once a year is good.


To your first point I agree. Unprotected or irresponsible sex does have risks. To your latter, once a year is likely not healthy at all. It would only be healthy if your sex drive is so low that you crave once a year.

James,
Sex is a tool, the only other reason people use is to blackmail people. Also people can talk it out in long night walks instead of
f'ing
- mature content, alert.


Sex can be a tool. It can also be so much more. Assuming its only for blackmail is wrong. Also, just on a personal note, some thing can not be communicated by words.

Fin,

I'm against the random sex with strangers, and STDs. I hate STDs, it makes you sick and die. Also I believe there is more than 'God' - as the Gods are extraterrestrials who control the universe with a Iron fist and can take on any form.


There's nothing wrong with not wanting to have random sex with strangers. I don't think anyone has advocated for that though. I don't think anyone likes STDs, however you should know many STDs do not cause death.

It is a tool overall, and is only used for reproducing.


Sex is a myriad of things for the human experience. It is why it occupies so much of our time and interest. To treat it as a tool it to overlook all the emotional and physical needs it satisfies outside of its use for reproduction.
User avatar
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 4315
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:22 am
Location: US

Re: Sex and reproducing

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:31 am

Korin wrote:I believe sex is only for reproducing, I know people do it for pleasure but that's the want not need. Sex is only for reproducing, nothing else. People only do it for pleasure because they want something out of some one, or they are just bored.


That's kind of an extreme attitude. Sex is pleasurable, there's no reason why it shouldn't be - to say it's only for reproducing is to reduce it to something mechanical, in the exact same way as saying that it's only for getting pleasure. Sun Fin is completely right, the Church doesn't teach one thing or the other, but that both are needed (in addition to being expressed within the sacrament of marriage) for a healthy attitude toward sex.

That said, there does need to be a close conceptual link between love, marriage, sex and childrearing in the public sphere for sex to have healthy expression. A huge problem in modern society is that sex has been systematically severed from love (via pornography and prostitution), from marriage (via the 'hook-up' culture) and from childrearing (via birth control technologies and no-fault divorce) and treated as a saleable commodity and a multi-billion dollar industry.

Skin and the promise thereof is now used to sell everything from soap to beer to cars, but that's only the tip of the iceberg. The thin, modern logic of sex as something marketable and separate from real and lasting human relationships directly benefits big pharma (who produces all those condoms and boner pills?), the porn industry, the prostitution industry, the human trafficking industry (these three all being closely interlinked - so much for 'victimless crime') and the abortion industry... and it hurts a hell of a lot of people, who are threatened, cajoled or kidnaped into selling their bodies, or who are bullied or peer-pressured into sex when they aren't ready, who are pressured by their families or significant others into terminating their children when they don't want to, or who are conditioned into thinking of sex in a certain way even if they are distinctly uncomfortable with it.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
User avatar
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor
 
Posts: 3832
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:09 am
Location: L'Étoile du Nord

Re: Sex and reproducing

Unread postby James » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:44 am

Sun Fin wrote:You certainly shouldn't find that teaching in a church. Just reading Songs of Solomon’s would show that God gave us sex as a wonderful gift, of course what you would find in many churches is that like anything it is best enjoyed responsibly and in the correct context; which I would define as marriage.

I've met quite a few Christians who believe sex should only be for procreation, and you can find that theme in various online discussions as well. Many of them have been Catholics, but that does not seem to be the position of the Catholic church. In any case, that was among the most likely causes that came to mind.

Korin wrote:SukeHead

KorMouth, don't be rude. Use people's names.

Sun Fin wrote:James,
Sex is a tool, the only other reason people use is to blackmail people. Also people can talk it out in long night walks instead of ****** - mature content, alert.

Sex is no more a tool than kissing is. Or hugging. Or winking. Or smiling. Sure, it can be used as a tool—in an effort to get what one wants, for example. Or it can be used to blackmail. But so can money—though we wouldn't conclude that money is only used for bad things, would we? How can you conclude that these negative objectives are the only use for sex? On that note, to describe it in the context of 'use' is rather sad in itself. Don't allow your negative connotation of sexual intercourse to color your interpretation of others' acts.

As an aside, do not use vulgar language outside what is stated in the forum rules.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
User avatar
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish
 
Posts: 17953
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2002 3:21 pm
Location: Happy Valley, UT

Re: Sex and reproducing

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:18 am

James wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:You certainly shouldn't find that teaching in a church. Just reading Songs of Solomon’s would show that God gave us sex as a wonderful gift, of course what you would find in many churches is that like anything it is best enjoyed responsibly and in the correct context; which I would define as marriage.

I've met quite a few Christians who believe sex should only be for procreation, and you can find that theme in various online discussions as well. Many of them have been Catholics, but that does not seem to be the position of the Catholic church. In any case, that was among the most likely causes that came to mind.


Sadly you're right, however I was careful with my original phrasing, 'you certainly shouldn't'.

Anyway I agree with all that WWD said.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
User avatar
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 7203
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:20 pm
Location: The birthplace of radio

Re: Sex and reproducing

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:13 am

We've reproduced enough already.
User avatar
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 5884
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:52 am

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved