Zodiac

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: Zodiac

Unread postby Tian Shan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:11 am

I wonder what one would consider viable proof?
I am not attempting to say astrology is right or wrong however for those who only believe in modern science, there is plenty of studies and proof that the planets/stars affect our planet and the way we live
What I am saying is the planets have power that affect us.

The planets emit gravity and cosmic rays, electromagnetic forces and radiation.
These things influence our atmosphere, our technology, and most of all our health and yes our psychology as a result of these things. This can be verified by many professor of the field
In fact I just finished a one year course at McGill University (ranked among the top 20 schools in the world according to US news report) about Physical Health Hazards, the affects of Electromagnetism, Radiation, Ventilation, Sound, etc... and how all these things can influence and hurt our health.
So i can see the correlation without even mentioning spiritual terms that planets and stars influence our world, society and individuals.
“If intelligence is defined as the ability to understand, learn and reason then Mankind is the least intelligent species on this planet . Abusing and destroying nature and other creatures is destroying themselves.-"

"Peace be with you."
Tian Shan
Initiate

Unread postby SunXia » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:41 am

I'm willing to believe Zodiac signs do not affect any sort of personality traits since every Libra I know is not like me in the slightest!! Most I know in real life including one born on the same day are not positive people and do not enjoy gaining knowledge and are actually quite moody and consider a social life being one of gossip and alcohol!! Except my dad he's not a very sociable person, he's actually rather shy and the opposite of me in all respects!! The only personality trait we have in common is that we are both as stubborn as a tree stump!! But by all accounts I am more like his elder sister while my father is considered the Black Sheep of his siblings!! I was born on my Aunt's 15th birthday and she is not like my father and she is not like me, she drinks for the sake of getting drunk and is positively spoiled given at 40 she still pesters her elderly father for money loans because she always spends outside of her means!! She doesn't care about knowledge and considers me a snob because I attended a very good school and got good grades!! She also started a fight on our recent respective birthdays because I didn't drink as if I have to celebrate my own birthday her way!! The only television shows she enjoys are those waste of space reality shows or whatever they are and doesn't like anything that makes her think!!

Yeah three people who couldn't be more different!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Aygor » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:38 am

Tian Shan wrote:I wonder what one would consider viable proof?

Never considered it honestly, as I made no claim is not my responsibility to come up with proof.
Tian Shan wrote:The planets emit gravity and cosmic rays, electromagnetic forces and radiation.
These things influence our atmosphere, our technology, and most of all our health and yes our psychology as a result of these things. This can be verified by many professor of the field

Everything affects us somewhat, the point is, to what extent?
Nothing of what you mentioned is capable of affecting our lifes to a meaningful extent, with the obvious exclusion of Moon and Sun's gravity (which arguably has little to nothing to do with our psychology), Sun's heat and radiations and every one of those could be considered closer to a constant than a differentiating factor through individuals.
We know of many things that affect our life meaningfully, the position of stars isn't among those.

Tian Shan wrote:So i can see the correlation without even mentioning spiritual terms that planets and stars influence our world, society and individuals.

Of course they influence spirituality and society, every superstition do regardless of it's actual reality.
There are temples dedicated to now forgotten divinities to prove that.
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:52 pm

Tian Shan wrote:I wonder what one would consider viable proof?
I am not attempting to say astrology is right or wrong however for those who only believe in modern science, there is plenty of studies and proof that the planets/stars affect our planet and the way we live
What I am saying is the planets have power that affect us.

The planets emit gravity and cosmic rays, electromagnetic forces and radiation.
In fact I just finished a one year course at McGill University (ranked among the top 20 schools in the world according to US news report) about Physical Health Hazards, the affects of Electromagnetism, Radiation, Ventilation, Sound, etc... and how all these things can influence and hurt our health.
So i can see the correlation without even mentioning spiritual terms that planets and stars influence our world, society and individuals.

Aygor answered this in much the same way I would have. All you've noted is that certain physical circumstances affect our planet and our bodies. First of all, all of those claims can be understood and explained through actual scientific fields. Second, the fact that those things exist should actually not support your position in believing in astrology. Astrology (if I recall correctly) applies to individuals depending upon certain supposed conditions. The facts you've noted apply to all humans and our planet equally. Furthermore, none of them are indicators of our individual personalities or have any effect on individual futures. Extrapolating those conclusions from universal effects (such as lack of sunlight) is nonsense (to me).
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:40 pm

I can't prove that zodiacs are false, but the evidence in their favor is unconvincing.... to say the least about it.
Tianshan, I don't doubt that celestial bodies affect our lives, but take my words into consideration. Firstly, oriental zodiacs are based purely on our arbitrary year to year basis. Unless you find some 12 year celestial radiation pattern caused by stars we near and back away from, it means nothing. Even if there is a pattern (which is highly unlikely) the Earth and sun moving, however far the distances, are nothing compared to the distances between stars and won't cause any radiation differences. Onto the western zodiac - well, this is based on when we're facing certain constellations. The problem with this is two-fold, the first being what I previously said about how distances won't make a big difference. The second is that these constellations facing us are very similar. Stars are similar, they do have differences, but it's not as if some constellations are made of special stars emmitting special radiation with special properties.

Another issue in all is that even if these astrological bodies influence us greatly depending on the Earths location, why is our birthdate important in all this? We develop for 9 months and then are born, why does radiation or different gravity imprint us with a zodiac sign on the day of our birth?

The biggest problem with all this talk of zodiac symbols is how and why a certain zodiac sign has certain traits. Being born under Leo makes you brave - because some ancient astrologers arbitrarily picked some stars that could be drawn into a lion? What about being born under Gemeni? Some Greeks called a few stars Gemeni because they kind of resembled some mythological twins so I'm probably talkative?

Nevertheless, messing around with zodiacs can be fun. :lol:
"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:31 pm

Shritzu wrote:
Guo Zhou wrote:Easy. I'm a person who only by the look and by observing a person, I can know how he/she is.

:roll:
"A fool judges one by what he says."
"A smart one by what he does."
"A wise one does not judge"

It's not inconceivable to generate a quasi-accurate impression of someone based solely on observation...call it 'instinct' or some intrinsic ability to 'figure someone out', either way I'd hardly label it as judging someone in the context you are inferring, Shritzu.

Anyhoo...Astrology as such, in it's untainted form, is very much a lost art it seems.
Deductions based on the juxtaposition of planets, stars, constellations is ensconced firmly in the realms of the Fantastic, where it's true meanings will invariably reside forever. I cannot prove the reality of it's existence, however it has always fascinated me nonetheless.

Western horoscopes are tailored for mass-consumption, obviously...you will find an aspect of every star sign in every individual person; horoscopes are merely crafted to garner wonder and intrigue from a condensed set of general human behavioural traits and idiosyncrasies neatly filed into 12 appealing 'signs'. Well, imo, anyway.
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:14 am

epaminondas146871 wrote:Firstly, oriental zodiacs are based purely on our arbitrary year to year basis. Unless you find some 12 year celestial radiation pattern caused by stars we near and back away from, it means nothing.

Not exactly. I do not claim to be an expert on the Chinese zodiac whatsoever, but it is more like it is based on a 60-year cycle, not a 12-year cycle. It is my understanding that each 12-year cycle of animals falls under one of the five Chinese elements.

I'm not really saying that 60-year-cycle (or sexegenary cycle) means anything (Googling it presents links that say otherwise, read the resultant links with discretion), but it's not all that arbitrary to me.

The Chinese zodiac was interesting to me, because my Western and Chinese astrology signs do not really have all that much in common with each other, and I identify more strongly with my Western sign.

Even if there is a pattern (which is highly unlikely) the Earth and sun moving, however far the distances, are nothing compared to the distances between stars and won't cause any radiation differences.

Yes, I agree. Stars themselves are too far away to have any sort of regularly occurring impact.

Astrology was very intriguing to me when I was younger and a bit more superstitious than I am now. I think it's great to dabble in it a bit...just not too much so. :wink:
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy