Zodiac

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Zodiac

Unread postby Guo Zhou » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:15 am

In my opinion the zodiac is a good way to get to know ourselves. And why? Because outlines our general features. How I use it in everyday life? Easy. I'm a person who only by the look and by observing a person, I can know how he/she is. The zodiac also helps me, since I study Economics and I can be always one step ahead. Share your opinion.

By the way i'm Scorpio, my ascendent is Taurus and my lunar sign is Aries.
Guo Zhou
Tyro

Re: Zodiac

Unread postby Tian Shan » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:20 am

Zodiac houses are a theme throughout history and in every ancient culture. But I think the wisdom to interpret what they really represent has been lost to the general public. So I find it hard to take much stock in the newspaper/web forecasts.

However, its a clear law of physics that the planets do affect this planet, society and individuals. The most obvious being the sun (higher suicide and depression in places with less sun), the moon (the term menstruation comes from the moon as they follow the same cycle. People like to think they are in control but really we are victims of so many things beyond our control.
“If intelligence is defined as the ability to understand, learn and reason then Mankind is the least intelligent species on this planet . Abusing and destroying nature and other creatures is destroying themselves.-"

"Peace be with you."
Tian Shan
Initiate

Unread postby Guo Zhou » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:20 pm

It's true what you said. Like you i really don't believe that newspapper things... but zodiac itself yes, because we are influenced by the sun like you said. Astrology is really cool :)
Guo Zhou
Tyro

Unread postby Aygor » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:19 am

In my opinion, as there is no evidence of celestial bodies determining our lives, there is no reason to take astrology seriously to predict future events, people's characters or even gain a better knowledge on oneself et cetera.

On a sidenote astrology (just like tarots which I am dearly fond of) do offer a wide set of psychological archetipes concocted to offer a better understanding of people and reality and can thus be philosophically interesting and enticing in that aspect.
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby Coconut-CocaCola » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:18 pm

Tian Shan wrote:However, its a clear law of physics that the planets do affect this planet, society and individuals. The most obvious being the sun (higher suicide and depression in places with less sun), the moon (the term menstruation comes from the moon as they follow the same cycle. People like to think they are in control but really we are victims of so many things beyond our control.

Of course, the astronomical objects influences in many ways life on earth. I'm clearly less joyful during our canadian winter then in summer. *Thank god, spring has arrived to bring back a bit of sunlignt!!! :P

But personally, I don't zodiac's belief. I think many we'll agree that horoscopes in newspapers aren't the most reliable things (otherwise I'll be rich by now :? ), they're just funny when we read them with a friend. Why would those gigantic astronomical objects influence our future?

Sure, it was a common belief in numerous civilisation in the past, but I guess it's comprehensive when you were watching the sky in those times, not really knowing what was out there.
------------------------------------------------

Hi there!
If you got any fanart request of Thre Kingdoms (2010) tv serie, just ask <3!
http://coconut-cocacola.deviantart.com/
Coconut-CocaCola
Tyro

Unread postby Shritzu » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:54 am

Guo Zhou wrote:Easy. I'm a person who only by the look and by observing a person, I can know how he/she is.

:roll:
"A fool judges one by what he says."
"A smart one by what he does."
"A wise one does not judge"
Bleh
Shritzu
Master

Unread postby Guo Zhou » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:48 pm

Shritzu wrote:
Guo Zhou wrote:Easy. I'm a person who only by the look and by observing a person, I can know how he/she is.

:roll:
"A fool judges one by what he says."
"A smart one by what he does."
"A wise one does not judge"

when i fail, i will think about that... ;)

until then i'm smart i guess :D
Guo Zhou
Tyro

Unread postby Guo Zhou » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:53 pm

[/quote](otherwise I'll be rich by now :? )/quote]

Ahah, it's fun what you said. Because lots of people missunderstand zodiac with a "forutne reader thing". That's wrong, zodiac is a way of getting known ourselves. If you want, try to read something about you... you might find it interesting :)
Guo Zhou
Tyro

Unread postby Aygor » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:54 am

Guo Zhou wrote:Ahah, it's fun what you said. Because lots of people missunderstand zodiac with a "forutne reader thing". That's wrong, zodiac is a way of getting known ourselves. If you want, try to read something about you... you might find it interesting :)

Anyone can recognize himself or traits of his/her character in the archetipes offered by astrology (or tarots etc.) for being archetipes they are bound to represent aspects of the complexity of each individual: offering archetipes one can't but relate to does not make astrology a useful tool at all.

That said, astrology has been developed to predict one's "future" (influences and predictaments through life, rather than future -Astra inclinant, non necessitant-) through the knowledge of asters' position at his/her moment of birth, therefore astrology is not misunderstanded as a "fortune reader thing", it is a "fortune reader thing"; rather, I would say that people misunderstand astrology with the horoscopes in the newspapers, which have almost nothing to do with it.

Lastly, one should also consider that astrology's very premise, the influence of determined celestial bodies on our lives, is groundless and that alone is enough to consider it a superstition.
Last edited by Aygor on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:20 pm

In this I'm in agreement with Aygor. I think there are too many odd folks out there who attempt to prop up astrology as a actual science, when its the opposite. Earlier it was mentioned that proof of astrology is fact because certain things like presence of sun affects us. Thats fairly ridiculous in my opinion. Such things affect everyone, not just folks born under certain signs.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy