RE: "Crouching Dragon - The Journey of Zhuge Liang"

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: RE: "Crouching Dragon - The Journey of Zhuge Liang"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:14 pm

Hellooooooooooo, I'm hoping if I post here then Thorne might receive an email informing them that this thread has had a reply!

We've just discovered that you have got some more books published and I want to buy a few! I've been looking on amazon and they retail your books for sale for about £18. There are some other retailers that have it for cheaper on the same site, however I want to check with you first that you will get the same cut no matter whom I buy from? I don't want to punish 3K authors by buying cheaper and stopping you from getting a fair share!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TPMThorne » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:02 pm

Hello!

I promised that I'd keep the board informed of new projects, didn't I? Oops and sorry.

Yes, there are 4 new books since my last post that, I should like to note, are all as independent of each other as possible to avoid "sequel/prequel syndrome", so they should be readable in any order.

In chronological order (as much as that's possible):

"Yellow Sky": Crisis for the Han Dynasty (166AD-195AD, covers Partisan Crisis to Lu Bu's invasion of Yan Province from Cao Cao and the Han court's POV, no Sun clan practically at all, because...)

East of the River: Home of the Sun Clan (184AD-199AD, covers Yellow Turban Rebellion through to Yuan Shu's death entirely from the perspective of the Sun clan and associates, but mainly focuses on Sun Jian & Sun Ce)

"Turmoil": Battle for the Han Empire (195AD-200AD, covers aftermath of Lu Bu's Invasion of Yan Province, the Li Jue/Guo Si Regency, Gongsun Zan v Yuan Shao, Girdle Edict Crisis, Battle of Guandu and is more or less a sequel to "Yellow Sky")

"Intention": War for the Han Frontier (200AD-208AD, covers the aftermath of Guandu, the Yuan Tan/Xi/Shang Yuan clan chieftainship crisis, Cao Cao's pacification of NW provinces, the Wuhuan pacification campaign and the subsequent court restructuring/Hua Tuo Incident/Invasion of Jing Province, ending before the Battle of Red Cliffs)

I'll also note that -- in addition to the "free 10%" that a lot of book sites offer -- I do have the first act of each book up on my site, http://tpmthorne.com/, in the event that you want to make sure that it/they are for you.

RE: your specific question, Sun Fin, I should first say thanks for asking but go for the price that suits you: yes, I do get more royalties through Amazon but distribution means more to me than profit, as cheesy and idealistic as that might sound.

And as for future projects, I can honestly say that I don't know. I have a foot-high stack of notes on paper that go right up to the founding of Jin, and yes, I may go all the way to that but I'm writing based on costs and book size since that's dictatorial when self-publishing. I'm pondering a follow-up to 'East of the River: Home of the Sun Clan' right now, having just had a long break after the trial that was the writing of '"Intention": War for the Han Frontier', but I honestly don't know. Seems a shame to waste the notes, I suppose!

Best to all,

T.P.M. Thorne
TPMThorne
Tyro

Unread postby DragonAtma » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:29 am

What about Liu Biao? From 190 to 208 he went from just himself and the Kuai brothers to the ruler of one of China's richest provinces. In between he had war with Yuan Shu, Hu Mao and Liu Zhang's dispute, intrigues with Zhang Xiu, an attempted power grab on Shi Xie's land, wars with the Sun Clan from another perspective, and the chance to push the Guandu campaign one way or the other.

Internally? He's got disputes between Liu Qi and Liu Cong, meddling form the Cai clan, Zhang Xian's rebellion, the arrival of numerous scholars, Huang Zu's near-autonomy, and Liu Bei's arrival.

I'll be honest, I'm average at best as an author, but if I was going to write another story after the previous five, I would certainly consider going with Liu Biao.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TPMThorne » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:04 am

Hello DragonAtma,

I pondered it, but the way things turned out, Liu Biao is covered in all 4 of the books as a secondary level figure, with most of his conflicts covered in some way or another: I leave the Shi Xie angle alone save for mentioning the region as part of territorial or theological discussion in East of the River (you or somebody else should consider pursuing it though: the impact of the Han internal conflicts on northern Vietnam does get left out of written works because there's just so much to cover generally, and the Liaodong Peninsula/Korea politics also: though I do manage to get Dong Zhuo's orders to the Liaodong Gongsun clan to invade Korea into a court discussion, I never get to discuss the impact that had).

Honestly, this time period is very well documented, relatively speaking, and a person could go mad trying to include everything, which is why there's "cake for everyone" - a hundred people could write a book about it and every single one would have a different and thought-provoking (or exciting, were one to focus specifically on the wars, which would be no bad thing) take on it. I'm not trying to do every little thing in great detail and would be have to be insane to try to do so in anything other than a straight-up history textbook, which my research is not exact enough to dare attempt.

But Liu Biao does, yes, deserve a more focussed project to show what a powerful and influential figure he was.

T. P. M. Thorne
TPMThorne
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:15 am

TPMThorne wrote:RE: your specific question, Sun Fin, I should first say thanks for asking but go for the price that suits you: yes, I do get more royalties through Amazon but distribution means more to me than profit, as cheesy and idealistic as that might sound.

Thanks for your reply! I'm looking forward to reading them! :D
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:14 pm

I know TPMThorne follows this thread so just wanted to inform him that a few of us are reading his work and occasionally talk about it in this thread.
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TPMThorne » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:16 am

Hello Sun Fin,

I was not aware that there was a thread about my work: I shall wander in that direction.

T. P. M. Thorne
TPMThorne
Tyro

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy