Themes of The Romance of the Three Kingdoms?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Themes of The Romance of the Three Kingdoms?

Unread postby Jadeklore » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:02 pm

I'm supposed to write an analytical essay on the novel, based around the themes that run through. I am going to use ideas about Taoism, and the inevitability of the fall of the three brothers because of their great flaws (pride, anger and compassion). Any other ideas? Ive got a few more, but I just wanted to see if anyone had anything else...
Jadeklore
Initiate

Re: Themes of The Romance of the Three Kingdoms?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:05 pm

After a long period of unity it divides and after a period of division it must unite.

I like that concept as a theme.

Also allowing the rise of talented people rather than just thouse born to the right people.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jadeklore » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:02 pm

Nice idea.
'An empire, long divided, must unite, and long united, mist divide'. Hadn't even thought of including that. cheers
Jadeklore
Initiate

Unread postby SunXia » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:11 pm

Well the novel itself, how it portrays Liu Bei, nice guys finish last?? Since his Kingdom fell first!!

But yeah, when eras end, there usually are periods of instability or civil war brought on by change before new foundations can be laid!!

So I guess, to build a new Empire you must first destroy the old one before laying the new foundations!! OR to remake an empire the old must die before the new created!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Jadeklore » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:14 pm

Yeh that's great :D
Any other ideas? I've probably got enough to go on...
Jadeklore
Initiate

Unread postby Starscream » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:04 pm

The theme of Karma then. What comes around, goes around. It is adequately illustrated by how Zhuge Liang toyed with Zhou Yu when he in turn got checkmated by Sima Yi many years later. Other examples of Karma themes are the death of Guan Yu resulting in the Jingzhou dispute and the early demise of the Jin dynasty due to bad governance and their usurping of the Wei throne.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Tokugawa Liang » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Hmmm, I thnik Romance of the three kingdoms, is not originally supposed to have themes taken with a critical sight because of its nature. ROTK is a historical novel based on facts, therefore it is not a fictional book where the author makes the characters do what he wants to make the reader understand something or to expose a critical view.. I agree that Louo Guang Zhong may have biased the plot or altered some events to glorify a given side but still, he lived in a time when people thought in a pro-Shu manner, that means that he may have been influenced by that...

Having said that, as some have written before me, we can still see, analyze and define themes that we see in the novel, for that I reckon the other comments are good!
English is not my mother tongue. I hope the comprehension isn't too hard.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Tokugawa Liang
Assistant

Unread postby Jadeklore » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:32 am

Tokugawa Liang wrote:Hmmm, I thnik Romance of the three kingdoms, is not originally supposed to have themes taken with a critical sight because of its nature. ROTK is a historical novel based on facts, therefore it is not a fictional book where the author makes the characters do what he wants to make the reader understand something or to expose a critical view.. I agree that Louo Guang Zhong may have biased the plot or altered some events to glorify a given side but still, he lived in a time when people thought in a pro-Shu manner, that means that he may have been influenced by that...

Having said that, as some have written before me, we can still see, analyze and define themes that we see in the novel, for that I reckon the other comments are good!

Good point
Jadeklore
Initiate

Unread postby Tokugawa Liang » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:01 pm

But still, I am interested to know what other people think about this.. maybe there are themes that are hidden or leitmoives that I can't see.. I read somewhere that the novel pictured the confucianist values of that era.. With Liu Bei being a hero because of his non-violence attitude.. might be a good starting point..
English is not my mother tongue. I hope the comprehension isn't too hard.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Tokugawa Liang
Assistant

Unread postby Tian Shan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:42 am

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/L ... eeKingdoms
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/C ... eeKingdoms

I remember there being alot of Archetypes/themes throughout the story
Read this website as it lists alot of Archetypes and lietmotifs themes so search around it.
“If intelligence is defined as the ability to understand, learn and reason then Mankind is the least intelligent species on this planet . Abusing and destroying nature and other creatures is destroying themselves.-"

"Peace be with you."
Tian Shan
Initiate

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy