Books with similarities to SGYY

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Books with similarities to SGYY

Unread postby Tokugawa Liang » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:11 pm

Hello,
I know there are a lot of topics asking the same qustion, but since I have read them all, and none of them has been able to answer my question precisely (or wasn't precise enough), I want to ask this question:

Does anyone know of a book with some similarities to RTK in the way that:
-it is a novel and not a book of strategy
-it has a interesting plot
-it plays in approximatively in the same time?

thank you for your help!
English is not my mother tongue. I hope the comprehension isn't too hard.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Tokugawa Liang
Assistant

Re: Books with similarities to SGYY

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:20 pm

Wrong time period I know but when reading some of the Arthur tales, particularly La Mort Le Roi Artu, did remind me of the RTK novel in terms of style.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Tokugawa Liang » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:58 pm

Ok, thanks. But is it really a novel? Isn't it a sum of legends (I don't mind the fact that they should be legends, rather, that they may not have a link between themselves) whereas RTK has a constant flow, a constant stream... It is just my experience.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention it before, but the Asian room was meant:)
English is not my mother tongue. I hope the comprehension isn't too hard.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
Tokugawa Liang
Assistant

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:17 am

It flows into each other generally and builds towards the great end rather then a series of random quests, it is decently structured
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby laojim » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:34 am

There is currently on the Korean channel which I get on Dish on channel 9493 they have a serial called something like The Dream of the Emperor. It has a typically knotted plot but the hero of it all is dedicated to "Uniting the three kingdoms," which means Silla, Goguryeo and Baekye. This seems to be set during the Tang dynasty during which the Tang are stirring up trouble among the kingdoms. At stake is "access to the central plains."

If any of this sounds familiar you might have a look.

These serials are generally based on novels but I have yet to locate any one of them in English so good luck in finding the books or learning Korean.
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby laojim » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:33 am

Just a note that the Korean serial mentioned above has ceased production in the middle of the story because the heroin, one Park Joo-hi, was injured in an auto wreck and has withdrawn on medical advice. They are currently airing a four episode of the retelling of the tale without her. This apparently all happened a few weeks ago. I wondered what had happened to the series as they were running other programs and advertising a rerun of Slave Hunters from a couple of years ago. It is interesting that these episodes are being produced on such short lead time that the show would disappear for a week or two after the accident in early December.

It is pointed out by some people that the story is entirely a fantasy of what might have been the glory days of Silla, a kingdom that had disappeared by the time of the Ming. The three kingdoms were indeed unified so we might suspect some narrative influence from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. In that sense Chy Chun plays the part of Cao Cao, perhaps, except that he is the grandson of a deposed king who wins to the throne battling against the king of the day and the other kingdoms of the peninsula.
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Starscream » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:12 pm

How about Water Margin? It has less strategy related themes and more on individual character development. It is also a historical fiction like SGYY. Water Margin can be quite a grief to read though, some of the characters suffer endless injustice and the villains prevailed regardless.

Alternatively, you can go for short stories of the Spring and Autumn period, which I think can be quite SGYY-like. Many of the stories are quite famous actually and are used to teach morals and are the anecdotes for some Chinese idioms. The most famous I think should be the war between Gou Jian and Fu Chai and the involvement of the legendary Xi Shi.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy