Sociality In the New Generation

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Sociality In the New Generation

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:25 pm

My main Q, is what has happened to this new generation??? lets put 10 -30 as the age group 35 if you want. Maybe this isnt relavent in European society im not entirely sure, but lets throw it out there...... here goes.

Why do people like things like Facebook, what ever happened to the written letter, or the have coffee in a cafe, or a non-partying dinner with friends. Lets keep this relavent to the age group..... But yeah? i mean what ever happened to forms of communication and people to people interaction that used to make it so much more endearing and eventful than looking on facebook and saying oo look this guy in New Zealand posted me and ive never personally met him or written him.(i am not targeting any Facebook having users i apologize if you feel i am) i just think that there should be more non-internet communicade. Also who redefined the word friend, last i observed in school 'friend" seems to mean, someone who will give you material goods or someone to hang out with, what ever happened to the Friends are there for advice and support, i bet they still are but i have not seen much if that recently.........
Thoughts?? Feel free to relate other subjects to this....
"We Will Show Wu The Meaning of Fear!"-Cao Cao in DW6
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Sociality In the New Generation

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:57 pm

I'll try to answer your question partially (or this may sum it up). We live in a time where usually people in that age group (myself included) want it now. I would say there was a transition between the 'fast food' generation which I really consider myself being part of and the 'intravenous food' generation. What I'm saying is that the current younger generation want it now and those who are creative enough to supply are giving them what they want.

Realistically, that norm has begun to feed over into the older populace as well. Once people get used to something it is hard to really change course and take that step backwards. To be honest with you, I haven't written a letter in at least 7 years and probably won't anytime soon. I was apprehensive about getting a Myspace account back when that was the new hot social networking site. And I barely have a Facebook account. I rather pop in here and talk to the scholars here. I don't care for people knowing my business as much as possible and I don't want to make a necessarily fake persona.

It went from the Baby Boomers - Generation X - Generation Y (tweener between previous and current) - Generation Now.

We live in a time where it virtually mandatory for children to take computers to school or else. When I was in school we barely had the old computers with MS-Dos and floppy disks. Technology grows and the use of 'primitive' means become obsolete.

I'll ask when was the last time anyone used a - walkman, vcr player, cassette player, etc. Social networking makes getting in contact with people that letters would not allow for possible. I've even turned into texting king - I call no one, I send them a text it leaves out the awkward quiet periods on the phone there is nothing to say.

Of course there is more to it than what I stated but, to get a conversation started...

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:52 pm

Sorry to post sporadically. But yeah, personally i dont have home computer so i use my free classes at school to do these postings. But yeah i mean i absolutely despise facebook, not cuz im jealous, but "suckerberg" there did a Rockefeller complex by giving 100 mill to a new jersey school district. he was guilty over how much money he was earning.
I really outraged that the definition of friend has swiched gears though!!
Friend DOES NOT EQUAL random social website person. Now this disscussion forum is different we all here share common interests have intelligent debates and actually type full words instead of text slang.
also compared to facebook this is small......
Everyone's opinion is equally expressed and wwe all learn from the people of the community.
In light of this fact we are forced to conform to the use of computers for social interaction but that does not mean it should be the only way of discussion. Remember the kid that got Facebooked to death ,yeah, it was plainly evil to do that to someone and on the internet, yet it was also due to that guy's ependence on internet that really drove him to do that, if he had had a wide circle or even small circle of trusting supporting
on hand friends he could talk to, he might not have killed himself. Also, how often do you see intelligent discussion on facebook, please ask yourself that.The above is a big what if, i know, but it serves as a pretty good exampple i think.
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:10 pm

I disagree. In the last year I have been very active, going out pretty much daily (even ignoring school/work that is true), written several letters, had many phone calls, far too many text conversations all while having an active facebook account. You use different forms of contact for different people and situations. I mean I go on a couple of camps a year of 50+ people who all live in different parts of the UK, trying to try and stay in touch with all of them through texting would be expensive and by letter overly time consuming yet facebook allows me to have some contact with everyone whilst I can have other more personal contact with others I care more about. Also stuff like facebook and mobiles make it easier to arrange to met up. For example I have a FB group that is purely about letting people know when the next Football training session is. Without that it would be far harder to get everybody out at the same time.

In conclusion used appropiately FB etc. adds to peoples ability to be social not take away from it. Of course your going to get the odd balls that spend all their life behind a computer screen but they'd probably be antisocial anyway!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:52 pm

Sun Fin wrote:In the last year I have been very active, going out pretty much daily (even ignoring school/work that is true), written several letters, had many phone calls, far too many text conversations all while having an active facebook account. You use different forms of contact for different people and situations. I mean I go on a couple of camps a year of 50+ people who all live in different parts of the UK, trying to try and stay in touch with all of them through texting would be expensive and by letter overly time consuming yet facebook allows me to have some contact with everyone whilst I can have other more personal contact with others I care more about. Also stuff like facebook and mobiles make it easier to arrange to met up. For example I have a FB group that is purely about letting people know when the next Football training session is. Without that it would be far harder to get everybody out at the same time.

In conclusion used appropiately FB etc. adds to peoples ability to be social not take away from it. Of course your going to get the odd balls that spend all their life behind a computer screen but they'd probably be antisocial anyway!

I agree with this mostly. The problem is there are those people who state they are anti-social and are not or state that they are social and are anti-social. You may just happen to be one of those people who would be active regardless of the situation or contact means. Just a small piece of a bigger picture - there are those whose only real contact with other people is that of forums.That is awesome that you do use means other than web based, honestly. Personally, as I stated above - I'm not into phone conversations. I'll take a call but, most likely if I'm not interested I'll be heavily listening which means it's not really a conversation. There are those who I will actively talk to but, they are few and far between. I spend 60-70% of my working day on the phone so, I'm detached a bit.

The line blurs between those personalities and how people prefer to access their own networking capabilities. I do agree that the use of FB is evident in regards to what you state about it adding to.

Generally, I do believe that the current younger populace however, do prefer texting, FB, and any other web based or phone based function available over the good 'ol pen and paper. Most of my writing is for personal use i.e. poetry, music, stories.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:35 pm

Its good to see the additions to this thread are modest yet detailed.
Im not pointing fingers at anyone here i think its great that people go out and do things and be active.
I walk from our house in the sunset district to the clock tower in downtown once or twice a week with my father(im 17 so what do you expect).Its great and i agree that people should get out more. I have friends people who i have intelligent conversation with at school regularly, im sure everyone else has some kind of parralel to that in their lives too that is at this forum.
what im worried about is that the computer and very non-intelligable forms of communication are going to get too normal, i mean when i walk down Market st on a saturaday, which is a shopping day, there is actually space to move around on the street, i remember 5 years ago how many more people came out on a saturday, id get squished in the crowds if i wasnt next one of my parents, now you actually can walk down market and not bump into anyone without it being intentional. also so that im no hypocrite, i only use school computer post i have no home computer so it explains why i post sporadically and not on weekends...

allow me to return subject...
At school we have poetry an writing workshops well provided and managed by competent educated teachers, an excellent arts and biotech(lincoln High Sf if anyone familiar) yet when you look in these classes you only see either the kids that want an easy A, or are really preppy and are forced to take it, i have Theater class and its painful to see how lacking and unmotivated they (other)are about arts, excellent Theater teacher by the way she was a small time director, master of English Language, knows everything about the Theater. To relate this, arts provides an avenue for expression for people to really see you as what you are and accept it or not, yet guess the what the most popular arts class is. Computer Art! And that sucks, computer art doesnt really take effort time or collaboration, you can just throw a bunch of things together(usually) and call it art, there isnt the meticulous coloring trading of ideas, how this should be done and that, And to be provide such excellent arts programs when they're all being cut, and then wasting that opprotunity is just ridiculous.People perfering the online world more and more, i got random Halo, COD BO,etc demos on this pc im using and i dont know why, like i said, no home cpu or home internet.(so to finish, go figure..........)
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:13 pm

Yang, please don't double post.

The lack of people in markets? People can buy what they need online now and so can spend their weekends doing more fun things: Go out with friends, go to the zoo or some tourist attraction, watch a sport, stay in. I don't know your class mates so I can't answer why they prefer some classes to others. Maybe they see Computer Art as the better choice for the future then the Theatre? Maybe they find the teacher less inspiring then you do or maybe they find Computer Art more fun?

I hate writing letters and haven't done so for years but I don't use texting or facebooking either. Mostly though, I am just not that social and I appreciate the chance to talk to people online so I'm hardly going to have a go at people for using online to improve their social life. I don't get the FB thing either but I doubt it's any worse then our parents and their parents did with new social technology.

What has happened to our generation, which was the original question? The same as happened to our parents generation and will happen to those that follow. Each generation adapts to new technology and pushes the boundaries while it's young, trying to be different from the old while the old condemn the young's new hobbies/culture/education. However some things will stay the same, the human need for friends being one of them. Each generation will use different ways to make and keep friends and the older generation will think that this new way is, for whatever reason, worse then the way the older generation did it, partly as the older generation struggles to adapt and is perhaps more aware of the bad side though they do exaggerate it.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:41 pm

yes i know im sorry , i will keep much better tabs on that!!!I had weird double post by accident though!!!
Original Generation? My Father born in 1960 calls himself that the old post 50's non-70's generation, just throwing it out there
He at least says hes the working class generation that didnt have good provided education had to fend for themselves a bit really had to find own path type, i think they've been most ignored, encountered a lot of fifty year olds ( my neighbors teachers friends etc) who actually have a lot to offer yet dont really get a chance to get it out there,This in terms of their life experiences ( my dad's millitary record for example Air traffic controller West germany...) any thoughts???
Im going to let this thread go for awhile see if it takes off or not.......
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:11 pm

Lord Yang Jiahua wrote:yes i know im sorry , i will keep much better tabs on that!!!I had weird double post by accident though!!!
Original Generation? My Father born in 1960 calls himself that the old post 50's non-70's generation, just throwing it out there
He at least says hes the working class generation that didnt have good provided education had to fend for themselves a bit really had to find own path type, i think they've been most ignored, encountered a lot of fifty year olds ( my neighbors teachers friends etc) who actually have a lot to offer yet dont really get a chance to get it out there,This in terms of their life experiences ( my dad's millitary record for example Air traffic controller West germany...) any thoughts???
Im going to let this thread go for awhile see if it takes off or not.......

Basically your father is clustered with the group that are called Baby Boomers over here in the U.S. as I'm not sure if that term is common in other countries or if they even classify such a group of people born that time.

Many of those individuals are those that tend to work in factories today or even are the corporate leaders whether by hard work or an education. That is that generation. Honestly, from my experience assisting people in that age group - some are stuborn on change and especially when it comes to computers (my main occupation over the last 3 years has been in the human resources profession). Then there are those who try to stay in the know. I'd say a balancing scale of sorts though the shift is more reliant of stubbornness for change and rather relying on the ways of the past.

Then you do have situations, and I'm seeing that here in Tennessee - where a lot of the surrounding area was mainly farm and rural life about 20 years ago. That basically means that anything related to computers or tech in general is foreign very much of this areas populace. What happens is is that the old is more suitable, it is comfortable. It is natural for people to resist change, even when they ask for it but it is inevitable. In that regard, we either get assimilated into the new system or washed out. It can be a hard pill to swallow for some as they become apprehensive to this 'new phenomena'. It goes along with my statement in the Napoleon thread regarding rejection to change - 'soft aversion'.

I wouldn't say everyone is like that or even close to such but, it is obvious that the technological gap grows at a rapid rate.

By example, when I was about 9 years old - we barely had gaming systems i.e. NES and we were still playing my uncles Collecovision. When I turn on my NES or Sega Genesis today, I kind of think to myself - 'Wow, I really thought those graphics were awesome back then.' A 9 year old today (and this is within less than 20 years) has access to play a game in Europe against a friend in the U.S. without travelling to do so. Being social and its vexations can range from anything even to gaming.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:24 pm

Short post, only because my cultural psychology textbook was talking about something similar.

Two of the factors that may have caused our generation to be more individualistic are the availability of personal entertainment (i.e., you can be entertained while staring at the tiny screen on your phone, instead of having to talk to a real person or go out to a real event), and the lack of a common bond. The generation that went through WW2 had very similar experiences and the common struggle strengthened their social bond.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy