Huckleberry Finn: PC Edition

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Huckleberry Finn: PC Edition

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:50 am

So, to update an old classic for the 21st century, a certain publishing house as decided to take the n-word and the i-word (Did you know there was an I-word?) out of Huckleberry Finn.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/01/04/n ... index.html

Hey, why stop there? Why don't we take the word out of To Kill a Mockingbird too? Why, children are encouraged to read that book all the time! I mean, how can we push that trash on them? That book and its horrible obscenities are so clearly insensitive to the race issues America faces...and what about Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry? Who is this Mildred Taylor woman to write such filth in a book for children? Maybe she should try to understand what its like to be a black woman growing up in the Deep South during the Jim Crow era. Maybe she'd gain some perspective.

Alright, rage time is over. I just...had to vent.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Huckleberry Finn: PC Edition

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:57 pm

I word? Really?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:32 pm

Yeah, really. Honest "Injun".
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:01 pm

It is 'suppose' to remove the racial stereotypes and tropes that are associated with the word from those are not Black. Of course, Black people call each other that word all the time and therefore when it is read it is either glossed over or plainly not noticed. Political correctness and the fact that it is a popular story - along with the general target audience of the book.

Of course, you can still hear those words by listening to rap, watching movies, or simply walking around a group of people who comfortable with the use of such.

EDIT: In regards to the Injun statement, they might as well edit out about 20-40 minutes out of Disney's classic Peter Pan because of the song 'What makes the Red man red' along with other things and statements in the movie.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Well, the thing that makes me most angry about the whole thing is that "cleaning up" the language only serves to diminish the horrors of slavery. The point of Huckleberry Finn was the same 130 years ago as it was today; Twain was trying to illustrate why it was wrong to denigrate your fellow man, why the South of his youth was nothing to look back upon with pride. He was pointing out everything that was wrong with Southern society of the era. By whitewashing the language, these people are whitewashing the slave era, effectively apologizing for the wrongs that occurred back then. I find it just as immoral as these Sons of the Confederacy who try to gloss over the cause for their ancestors' rebellion.

We shouldn't apologize for the sins of our fathers. We shouldn't try to pretend they didn't happen. We should contemplate the dark parts of our history in all its brutal detail, lest we forget, and also so that we can remember just how far we've come. Changing Jim from a "nigger" into a "slave" only serves to cheapen history.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy