Sources on the Zhongshan Suit

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Sources on the Zhongshan Suit

Unread postby Ci Cao » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:19 pm

Dear fellow scholars,

there are moments in a sinologist's academic life where one just goes quite mad - I have just hit one of them. Knowing that this is a forum of rather bright, internet-savy people with an interest in China, I figured it would be worth a try to ask you for your opinion.

The problem is this: For an exhibition that is to be held at our institute, we are assembling a series of posters centered around the concept of what could be translated into memorial places. One of these places (or, one could say, concepts/symbols) is the Zhongshan suit, probably better known as Mao suit in the west.

The problem is this: To complete my part in this, I require a source - a Chinese text, or a sewing pattern, maybe even a quote or an anecdote - anything really that can be used to illustrate the meaning of the suit in either the Republic or PR of China.

Therefore, I am wondering whether any of you may have even an idea on how to acquire something like that. In eight days, I will be off to China for half a year, and this needs to be done beforehand - ordering books from abroad is unfortunately out of the question. Maybe though, I am thinking "inside the box", maybe there is something I have not yet considered. For any type of comment or advice, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!
Ci Cao
Academic

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy