A dissertation...?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: A dissertation...?

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am

"some people" :x

I will say no because philosophy requires subjective arguments with a subjective language. Mathematics transcends all of that. But incredible to note almost any philosopher worth his salt was also a mathematician!
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby agga » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:03 pm

Harimau wrote:Just to make some people antsy ... isn't philosophy of higher purity than mathematics?

philosophy's not really on the continuum - rather, it's more like the continuum's flip side.
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:36 pm

... or something like that.

I'm going from philosophy into international relations and public policy, which is really applied sociology. I guess that puts me way at the bottom of the 'purity' scale.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy