A Song of Ice and Fire

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Unread postby Aygor » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:47 pm

So many Stark fans :o
Although I did like Robb and Jon very much (well, I actually think Jon is a Targaryen to be honest) I pretty much can't stand them.

Sun Fin wrote:I'm still Team Stark!
I read a suggestion somewhere that there might be a delay somewhere in the story giving some of the younger characters *cough cough* Rickon *cough cough* the chance to grow up and become a major force.

I hope Rickon grows enough to become a warm Bolton coat :twisted:
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:26 pm

I tried reading this after it was recommended multiple times and after enjoying the first season of the TV show, but unfortunately I couldn't get into GGRM's style.

I read the first book and then I just didn't feel motivated enough to continue with the rest of them. So far, I have an appreciation for his plotting (although, from what I've heard, this actually gets worse in later books rather than better), and for the story itself, but something about his style or prose seems awkward to me.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Boydie » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:58 pm

Just finished the latest books so far! GRRM better not keel over and die before finishing the series! :lol: Honestly I can't see the end to this series even if GRRM as said it should take another two books, they'll have to be massive books!
Boydie
Academic

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:15 am

Just finished A Dance of Dragons and I'm fairly satisfied. When I say satisfied I mean that I'm comfortable with how Martin left us. I was one of the sad saps who after the first few books/tv seasons had simple favorite characters (Khal Drogo/Eddard Stark) and they were both whiped away. Now I understand his ability to throw away characters so the way he left the business in the North I'm not too upset. In fact, I'm excited to see how it comes out in the next book.

My only biggest qualms is I hate the Bolton bastard more than anything, and I wish Martin paid more attention to Aeron Greyjoy more. I actually think House Greyjoy could have alot to be proud of but its not Vication/Euron/Theon Grayjoy and Asha seems marginalized (though I liked her alot in the books).
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:25 pm

Already from the trailer I see Prince Oberyn Martell's by Pedro Pascal as a great casting choice.

Such a shame, then, that Oberyn's fate is sealed!
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby theconqueror87 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:21 am

So does anybody else make a correlation between the Varys and Littlefinger debate in Season 3 Episode 6 and the Liu Bei and Cao Cao "Heroes" speech?

Not saying that Martin got the idea from there or anything, I could just totally see This playing out:

Liu Bei: "But what do we have left after we've abandoned the lie? Chaos? A gaping pit waiting to swallow us all?"

Cao Cao: "Chaos isn't a pit, chaos is a ladder."

I just could see those two saying that. Awesome background music is also a plus.

So cool. 8-)
theconqueror87
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:49 pm

So I'm not that worried about being up to date with the TV series having already read most of the books 3 or 4 times but I'm presuming that most of you watching the episode last night? Presumably we're seeing the purple wedding next week? I can't wait for shock waves to go around my Facebook :D.

Whilst obviously I was aware how graphic the TV show was it wasn't until I was watching it with my dad that I realised how frequent those scenes are...
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:47 pm

I thought the Purple Wedding was a fan name??

Show
I'm sorry I can't watch the show, I tried but the way they portrayed the relationship between Daenerys and Drogo just made me feel insulted!! At least in the books, while she is thirteen, a child, during their sexual encounter, he relaxes her and is considerate!! The series portrayed it as nothing more than rape!! If someone is crying they are unwilling!! Salt to the wound was this idea that she was in the wrong because he really loved her, and she was totally in the wrong for not enjoying it and must thus turn herself into what he wants!! Yeah, haven't watched a scene since and they're all upstairs on Blu-Ray!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:53 pm

SunXia wrote:I thought the Purple Wedding was a fan name??

It's a fan given name for an event that happens in book 3 part 2/season 4.

SunXia wrote:
Show
I'm sorry I can't watch the show, I tried but the way they portrayed the relationship between Daenerys and Drogo just made me feel insulted!! At least in the books, while she is thirteen, a child, during their sexual encounter, he relaxes her and is considerate!! The series portrayed it as nothing more than rape!! If someone is crying they are unwilling!! Salt to the wound was this idea that she was in the wrong because he really loved her, and she was totally in the wrong for not enjoying it and must thus turn herself into what he wants!! Yeah, haven't watched a scene since and they're all upstairs on Blu-Ray!!

Yeah I kinda agree, I really don't enjoy how much they trivialise sex in the show. I don't need to watch a scene where Littlefinger coaches two whores in how to please men more. However I enjoy the rest of the show enough to watch it anyway but I'd understand why others chose not to. The book is no where near as graphic thankfully.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:55 am

Sun Fin wrote:
SunXia wrote:I thought the Purple Wedding was a fan name??

It's a fan given name for an event that happens in book 3 part 2/season 4.

Oh I am familiar with the event, I've read all of the books!! I just knew it was a Fan name since its only the "Red Wedding" that gets spoke about in such a way!!

SunXia wrote:
Show

Yeah I kinda agree, I really don't enjoy how much they trivialise sex in the show. I don't need to watch a scene where Littlefinger coaches two whores in how to please men more. However I enjoy the rest of the show enough to watch it anyway but I'd understand why others chose not to. The book is no where near as graphic thankfully.
I find the book graphic enough, Jamie and Cersei's reunion comes to a sick disgusting mind!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy