Double majoring in Film and Business Management.

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Double majoring in Film and Business Management.

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:51 am

I have decided today to double major in Film and Screen Studies AND Business Management. It's kind of freaking me out now, but I just know that it would be extremely beneficial for me. The economy is doing poorly now, and I don't expect it be normal by May 2012. By graduating with a B.B.A. and B.A., I'll be offering more, and hiring companies will offer more to me, thus helping me survive in the recession. Soon after graduating, I'll start working on my MBA.

So, thoughts? Suggestions? Too ambitious? Against the idea? Thanks in advance for any comments. :)
Hey guys, "Breaking Upwards" has been released at the IFC Center in New York! And at Laemmle Sunset 5 in LA! Come see it this weekend, April 10th-11th, to help it go nationwide! Thanks! http://www.breakingupwards.com
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Re: Double majoring in Film and Business Management.

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:03 pm

Its a good idea, I'm looking at History and Chinese Studies in the idea that China is the powerhouse to pull the world out of the recession and every company will need someone who can work with a Chinese counterpart.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:36 pm

Whatever you choose, make sure it is something you will enjoy.
Best advice I can offer to both of you. :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Harimau » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Its a good idea, I'm looking at History and Chinese Studies in the idea that China is the powerhouse to pull the world out of the recession and every company will need someone who can work with a Chinese counterpart.

Considering that most companies these days would have at least one person with Chinese (or even just Asian) descent these days, I wouldn't be so optimistic.

(Sorry if that offends you.)
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:47 pm

Harimau wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:Its a good idea, I'm looking at History and Chinese Studies in the idea that China is the powerhouse to pull the world out of the recession and every company will need someone who can work with a Chinese counterpart.

Considering that most companies these days would have at least one person with Chinese (or even just Asian) descent these days, I wouldn't be so optimistic.

(Sorry if that offends you.)

Its true, I guess but it still gives you something to stand out from. Besides it works both ways, a chinese company would want a British citizen who can fit in on both sides to.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Harimau » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:11 pm

I've worked on a few projects with a few chinese companies, and not a few multinationals. Maybe its because I deal with services firms (i.e. banks, funds management, infrastructure companies), but I have never ever met any expats that come from a history/arts background instead of a more relevant background of engineering/finance/accounting/IT.

Don't get me wrong - your degree sounds very fun (I had wanted to do the same while I was at uni), but perhaps you should think about getting other skills at the same time as well. For example, an accounting diploma could go a long way in differentiating you in business - you don't have to be an accountant (quite a lot of accounting majors don't do accounting), but it does show that you're more familiar with some aspects of a business.

Even a bit of IT skills could go a long way too!
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:14 pm

If I'm honest I'm not interested in buisness, I wanna be a historian/storywriter but if I was to say that to most people they would just go 'yeah right' amd this is just a convient lie that I've told once to many :lol: .
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy