Ground penetrating radar and the Three Kingdoms

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Ground penetrating radar and the Three Kingdoms

Unread postby Butters » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:52 am

Does anyone know of any ground penetrating radar or other underground sensing data that is related to the Three Kingdoms Era or ancient China, in general?
"Oh, boy! He's cheesed out of his mind!"
My YouTube channel | Megavideo backup
Butters
Master

Re: Ground penetrating radar and the Three Kingdoms

Unread postby Duncan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:20 pm

There was some work on the burial chamber of Qin Shi Huang reported (in English) in the handbook accompanying the British Museum's "First Emperor" exhibition. I'm not sure where the original research is published, but if I recall the ground penetrating radar results seem to bear out a significant part of Sima Qian's description of the tomb.

GPR seems to be an improving science and although it can still be very difficult to interpret results accurately, given the right circumstances it can be astoundingly precise.
"No more 200-yr-old flakes of parchment getting trapped in 'problem areas'..."
Liu Yuante
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Ground penetrating radar and the Three Kingdoms

Unread postby Tarrot » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Specifically, no. However, I seem to have this just inkling that Yuan Shao or Cao Cao had drums set up, so that the vibrations of the enemies moving underground would be noticed. Like, I don't know where exactly to go with it, but I think that is what they did, probably a lot more specific than it.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy