Wade-Giles names into Pinyin assistance

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Wade-Giles names into Pinyin assistance

Unread postby talon1579 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:20 pm

If anyone could spare half an hour, I could use some chinese names translated to Pinyin. I'm comparing accounts of china betwen a 19th century book and a modern one, and am finding it difficult to discern exactly who is who.

The pages are here: http://www.archive.org/stream/treasuryo ... 7/mode/1up

Thanks for your time. Incidentally the first page of that section is quite fun.
talon1579
Changshi

Re: Wade-Giles names into Pinyin assistance

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:48 am

Perhaps you could type out the names that require translating? It'd make it easier for us to help.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby talon1579 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:34 pm

Just remembered this thread, I'm happy to type out names. Some of my guesses are there too.

Fohi (first monarach) - Fu Xi?
Tsai Tsin (22nd) Dynatsy
Mung Teen (general of first Qin Emperor)
Woo-Tee (Han Emperor, suffered Yellow River flood) - Han Wudi?
Wei-Sing (Han general, defeated Huns)
Senen-Te (Han Emperor)
Hwae-yang-mang (successor of Wang Mang)
Kwang-Woo (his successor)
Ho-Te (Han Emperor, 89 AD)

thanks, will post more later
talon1579
Changshi

Unread postby agga » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:13 pm

talon1579 wrote:Just remembered this thread, I'm happy to type out names. Some of my guesses are there too.

Fohi (first monarach) - Fu Xi?
Tsai Tsin (22nd) Dynatsy
Mung Teen (general of first Qin Emperor)
Woo-Tee (Han Emperor, suffered Yellow River flood) - Han Wudi?
Wei-Sing (Han general, defeated Huns)
Senen-Te (Han Emperor)
Hwae-yang-mang (successor of Wang Mang)
Kwang-Woo (his successor)
Ho-Te (Han Emperor, 89 AD)

thanks, will post more later

This is an interesting chapter. I like how the author assumes that the Fuxi and Noah flood stories must be the same, of course, and how the "History of China" consists entirely of a succession of emperors and wars. I guess that's one idea of history, though I'm glad it doesn't get written like this any longer. i don't think he mentions the actual Chinese *people* even once.

anyways, Mung-Teen must be Shi Huangdi's general Meng Tian, Lien Pang must be Liu Bang, Woo-Tee is Han Wudi, Wei-Sing is Wei Qing; Hwae-yang must be Emperor Gengshi who became prince Huaiyang; then you have Emperor Guangwu - you can trace all of this through Wikipedia, which is what I'm doing now - then a couple more successors, then emperor Han Hedi in 89AD. i get lost after that (Senen-te?), once it gets out of the Han dynasty.
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:07 pm

Holy moly, that's ancient stuff. It's not even Wade-Giles, but the author seemed to be spelling things as he heard them, or got the spellings from someone else. The "Tai Tsin" dynasty is 大清, or "The Great Qing". The fact that he spelled it ending in -in instead of -ing hints either at his having heard wrong, or having gotten the pronunciation from a southern Chinese speaker.

"Fohi" is indeed Fuxi. The modern Cantonese pronunciation is "fok-hey". Makes me wonder if the consonant was really a "h" or a "s/x" sound in court Mandarin at that time.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby talon1579 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:45 pm

Lady Wu wrote: The fact that he spelled it ending in -in instead of -ing hints either at his having heard wrong, or having gotten the pronunciation from a southern Chinese speaker.

I'm guessing its the second, as the English were mostly present in southern China at that point. The pre-Wade-Giles thing is gonna make this difficult, I'll just have to tell them that at the interview (I mentioned this in my personal statement for Oxford University)
talon1579
Changshi

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy