Need a lot of help in deciding a major...

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Need a lot of help in deciding a major...

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:50 am

Currently, I am an undergraduate student enrolled in Pace University, which is primarily a business school, but supposedly it has more students in the arts and sciences than business, but anyway...

I was told to to go there because I wanted an MBA, however, I am awful at math. So, right before school started, I decided to go into film and screen studies, hopefully writing and directing. However, I attended this free Kaplan class where it focused on graduate students and it reminded me that graduate students with MBAs fare better in this awful time of the economy. And I don't feel creative enough to be in films.

Thus, I was wondering if I should start over and start the long journey of getting an MBA. If I do, I plan on double majoring in economics and business management.

I failed a math course already, by the way. :cry: Any advise would be highly appreciated. And the quicker the better! :)
Hey guys, "Breaking Upwards" has been released at the IFC Center in New York! And at Laemmle Sunset 5 in LA! Come see it this weekend, April 10th-11th, to help it go nationwide! Thanks! http://www.breakingupwards.com
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Re: Need a lot of help in deciding a major...

Unread postby Kristina » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:45 pm

I'm caught in the same boat you are, at least partially. I'm not so sure what I want to major in either. No matter which way i think about it, I find a reason not to choose one over the other. You could always do what I plan on doing. I'm enrolling at a community college to take care of my basic courses. Not only is it much cheaper, but it buys me an extra two years to figure my life out.

As far as math and such go, does the university have a tutoring program? Many places do, and usually for free. You should ask around about that. Or you could find out who's really good in your class, and ask for help. When it comes to math, getting the problem explained in a new way does wonders.
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Unread postby mrbeate » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:06 pm

Im stuck in the same place as you both are. Im really good in EVERYTHING except for music. I don't know what to be cause nearly everything fascinates me! Im in Junior High and i don't know what to pick! XD.
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Chao » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:27 am

Pace University in New York? Unfortunately, math is important in both economics and in business . . . on top of that . . . Pace's MBA program is one of the top 20 in the country. What are your interests aside from film?
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:15 am

Yes, that Pace University. I am not really interested in anything else, I am thinking of going into undecided.
Hey guys, "Breaking Upwards" has been released at the IFC Center in New York! And at Laemmle Sunset 5 in LA! Come see it this weekend, April 10th-11th, to help it go nationwide! Thanks! http://www.breakingupwards.com
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Unread postby Cao Chao » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:07 pm

If you're a freshman or a sophomore, it shouldn't be a problem. If you're a junior or a senior, you need a major or you're not going to be able to be graduate in time with all of the necessary courses for a major unless you work your butt off.
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby Cloud Strife » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:56 am

I am a rising sophomore.
Cloud Strife
Scholar

Unread postby Cherry Coke » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:54 am

unfortunately I might not be the best to give advice as I have three majors and two minors myself and have attended longer for this reason..I also was a nontraditional student in the first place... all I can suggest is if there isn't a reason you need to be out in the four year span (since most college students now take an avg of five years anyway) try to snag a couple classes that you are interested in to see if you can pull out that creativity you need or have refreshers on math and see if looking at it again helps. at least this way you'd be exploring the two types of degrees that are jumping out at you. Maybe even snag a class that sounds somewhat interesting it might turn out to be the one! (could try some during summer so you can focus your fall and spring semesters on classes you definately need) i dont know about your school but mine has a list fo the intermediate etc classes anyway so if you focus on those you'll be getting stuff done while sneaking in some of those other courses so you can decide. Seems to me if you don't pursue something your passionate about you'll regret it at some point. Not to say money doesn't help as a deciding factor..you do want something to help in the long run...but the more you explore the more you might find something that allows for both.
Live, Love, Laugh, Believe, Dream
Cherry Coke
Apprentice

Unread postby talon1579 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:28 am

Wow the system in the US is weird. Here in the U of K, we choose our degree (or "major") before University and then just do it for 3 years.
talon1579
Changshi

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:44 am

talon1579 wrote:Wow the system in the US is weird. Here in the U of K, we choose our degree (or "major") before University and then just do it for 3 years.

While I'm sure that both have their appropriate rationales, but aren't you a tad young to be deciding such a thing prior to even spending a year in college? What happens if you decide your choice was premature? It is probable I am just not understanding the UK system entirely/properly.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy