Need a lot of help in deciding a major...

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: Need a lot of help in deciding a major...

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:23 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:
talon1579 wrote:Wow the system in the US is weird. Here in the U of K, we choose our degree (or "major") before University and then just do it for 3 years.

While I'm sure that both have their appropriate rationales, but aren't you a tad young to be deciding such a thing prior to even spending a year in college? What happens if you decide your choice was premature? It is probable I am just not understanding the UK system entirely/properly.

What at 18? Yeah a lot of people are to young but most degrees like history can be used in many different area's. Also for things like law and medicine you can convert over after you've done your main degree. You can alsdo take gap year if you don't know what to study or you can change part way through.

But for others like me I'm sick off studying three subjects and I just want to be able to focus on history.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:50 am

Sun Fin wrote:What at 18? Yeah a lot of people are to young but most degrees like history can be used in many different area's.

Not just because of age, but because of the study. What if you think you want to major in music first, spend a year and a half studying it, then decide you want to do Chemistry?

Also for things like law and medicine you can convert over after you've done your main degree. You can alsdo take gap year if you don't know what to study or you can change part way through.

Ah.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Harimau » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:49 am

Shikanosuke wrote:Not just because of age, but because of the study. What if you think you want to major in music first, spend a year and a half studying it, then decide you want to do Chemistry?

Then your three years start all over again. Perhaps a bit less. The system is somewhat similar to what we have in Oz. You're right though that sometimes this does work against people. One of my friends began an accounting degree (normally 3 years), but decided to switch to law in his last year... a 5 year degree.

So his student debt isn't looking too pretty right now.
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Shadowlink » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:15 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:What at 18? Yeah a lot of people are to young but most degrees like history can be used in many different area's.

Not just because of age, but because of the study. What if you think you want to major in music first, spend a year and a half studying it, then decide you want to do Chemistry?

Also for things like law and medicine you can convert over after you've done your main degree. You can alsdo take gap year if you don't know what to study or you can change part way through.

Ah.

that's me, from history to chemistry, Im not the best at math, but I am a monster at calculus.
Shadowlink
Langzhong

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy