Source Material For Samurai Warriors

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Source Material For Samurai Warriors

Unread postby Dumb Taoist » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:20 am

Are the characters in the Samurai Warriors game series based off of a source material, in a similar manner to the way the Romance of The Three Kingdoms novel informs the personalities of the Dynasty Warriors?
I read a great novel about Toyotomi Hideyoshi called Taiko, but most of the main players in the SW games were excluded because the book was based on Hideyoshi's personal experience.
So any thoughts on any other source material that may have been used?
Dumb Taoist
Apprentice

Re: Source Material For Samurai Warriors

Unread postby Kristina » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:35 pm

http://www.koei.com/SamuraiWarriors/character.htm

Yes, it seems like they are. The best way to find out is to google the names of the individual characters, making sure that you're filtering out the game results. I checked a few of them, and the info given in the character list seems to match history.

Now, no guarantees here, because everything I'm saying is based on a few moments of googling.

When it comes to questions like this, a great way to save yourself some time waiting for an answer is to look it up yourself. You're supposed to learn something new every day, right?

Oh - Wait. You're asking about specific material. . .I didn't find anything like that, just a few bios.
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Unread postby Dumb Taoist » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:46 pm

There's no description of this book, but it seems very likely that this could be the source.

http://www.amazon.ca/Legends-Warring-St ... 610&sr=8-6

EDIT: Nevermind this is for the Chinese Warring States Period not the Japanese one
Dumb Taoist
Apprentice

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:12 pm

If you ever find out, Dumb Taoist, let me know as I'm curious as well.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Pierre Beauregard » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:23 am

the samurai warrior games are more on legands then history but their are some that did happen like at oda nobuage killed yoshimato
Louisiana Tigers
Pierre Beauregard
Initiate

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:21 am

I think he was asking if there was one novel which the story was based off. Like DW is based on RoTK wich is based on history.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:21 am

Pierre Beauregard wrote:the samurai warrior games are more on legands then history but their are some that did happen like at oda nobuage killed yoshimato

Dumb Taoist, the only thing I've read with reference such tales is Taiko.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shenken » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:00 am

here is something that might have those various characters. the only thing preventing me from buying the books is the money and the fact that i don't even know if it has the SW characters.

http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/
That which does not kill you makes you stronger
http://kracov.wordpress.com
Shenken
Tyro

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:58 pm

I believe the answer to this question to be a blend of fantasy (novels) and reality. There are some hints at historical events i.e. Sekigahara and the fact the Mitsunari Ishida lost to Ieyasu Tokugawa and in that effect lost his life.

The storylines of Samurai Warriors, I would say, lends more to history than Dynasty Warriors does which is a fiction based on the novel in many cases.

Some of the characters i.e. Hanzo Hattori and Kotari Fuma are based on one of many that actually carried that name. Therefore, they are a combination of characters bearing a single name. Nobunaga is looked at as a hero of sorts in some ends and a villain in others. Mitsuhide Akechi is rather villafied in some circles. Based on history, Nobunaga mocked him to scorn and was responsible for the 'death of his mother' (I believe). The game itself does not hint on this at all. That and other aspects just as in Dynasty Warriors is where the fantasy joins history.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy