Relationships are they truly necessary?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: Relationships are they truly necessary?

Unread postby James » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:22 pm

I would suggest that specific types of relationships are not necessary. We all need different things. Some of us are happy enough with a number of close friendships. Others need a strong connection with a life partner. It probably depends, to a great extent, on life experiences. If a person has ever truly loved someone that is something they'll likely crave and need later in their life, even if they've realized the terrible pain it can bring about.

Some people are also able to take up other passions in their life which distract from other needs, such as a CEO running a company, or a doctor devoted to his practice.

But taken at face value, my answer to "Relationships: Are They Truly Necessary?" is that yes, on some scale they are. We're social creatures and if we do not have relationships of some sort we tend to become extremely depressed. Most of the people I've met who have chosen to avoid relationships of all kinds, stating that it is the happy course for them, also tend to be extremely negative or depressed people. I do not think it is a coincidence.

Patricoo wrote:Yea, until you get to like... eight years into it. Then everyone starts wondering what the hell you're waiting for. :lol:

It is especially problematic when the one wondering is the one with whom you are in that relationship. :lol:
At least it would be to someone who is still terrified of marriage after eight years together.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:30 pm

James wrote:I would suggest that specific types of relationships are not necessary. We all need different things. Some of us are happy enough with a number of close friendships. Others need a strong connection with a life partner. It probably depends, to a great extent, on life experiences. If a person has ever truly loved someone that is something they'll likely crave and need later in their life, even if they've realized the terrible pain it can bring about.

Some people are also able to take up other passions in their life which distract from other needs, such as a CEO running a company, or a doctor devoted to his practice.

Your second part of the post probably addresses this, but I think even those who are fully engaged in their occupations develop some small relationships with those who are involved in those occupations. Perhaps this is what you meant by face value.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:35 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:Your second part of the post probably addresses this, but I think even those who are fully engaged in their occupations develop some small relationships with those who are involved in those occupations. Perhaps this is what you meant by face value.

Yeah. Or more specifically, that the people who take this approach to their careers, through their involvement and the interaction with people around them, form a sort of substitute to the relationships other people are most familiar with. It probably isn't a coincidence that these sort of people tend to have multiple divorces under their belts. :)

Whenever I think of this, I think of Napoleon Hill's excellent book, Think and Grow Rich.
Everyone should read this book. It is that good.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby tofu » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:10 am

dpradis wrote:Relationships are as necessary as alcohol itself.
Sometimes you really need it, sometimes you just enjoy it, and other times you hate it.

One of my teachers has never had a sip of alcohol before in her life. :shock:
"His head looks as though it was stuck on a pole for sale," said Guan Yu, just glancing over the army at his feet.

"O green-eyed boy! O purple-bearded rat! Do you know me?"
tofu
Scholar

Unread postby dpradis » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:09 am

tofu wrote:
dpradis wrote:Relationships are as necessary as alcohol itself.
Sometimes you really need it, sometimes you just enjoy it, and other times you hate it.

One of my teachers has never had a sip of alcohol before in her life. :shock:

and how happy is she? :|
I mean, I'm not saying you should drink (neither minors reading this post) or anything. If you do, drink responsibly and all that :roll:
dpradis
Assistant

Unread postby James » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:26 am

dpradis wrote:and how happy is she? :|

There are plenty of people out there who are extremely happy without any ties to alcohol.
In fact, outside wine in certain circles, I'd imagine alcohol collectively does more damage than good.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby dpradis » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:42 am

James wrote:
dpradis wrote:and how happy is she? :|

There are plenty of people out there who are extremely happy without any ties to alcohol.
In fact, outside wine in certain circles, I'd imagine alcohol collectively does more damage than good.

Depends on your social lifestyle. You could be perfectly happy without alcohol in your life if the people around you do not require it on reunions, parties, and such. As someone said on another thread, it is a fun enhancer for most, not to be used as poison. I, for example, love to go out on weekends with friends and relatives to drink and have a good time. It depends on the individual if he wants to enjoy life along with alcohol or just become a drunk and waste your life.
I'm sure that teacher is quite happy without alcohol. :D
dpradis
Assistant

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:49 am

dpradis wrote:
Depends on your social lifestyle.

No, it doesn't. I think it would be silly for anyone to entertain this argument. Alcohol is not a requisite to a happy life, irregardless of social lifestyle.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby dpradis » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:14 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:
dpradis wrote:
Depends on your social lifestyle.

No, it doesn't. I think it would be silly for anyone to entertain this argument. Alcohol is not a requisite to a happy life, irregardless of social lifestyle.

Well, the individual must decide if he/she will consume alcoholic beverages, but social lifestyle does play a major role on the individual's decision. Now, if the individual does not have one (active social life), that would be another issue. By the way, never did I state that alcohol is necessary for a "happy life".
dpradis
Assistant

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:19 pm

dpradis wrote:
Well, the individual must decide if he/she will consume alcoholic beverages, but social lifestyle does play a major role on the individual's decision. Now, if the individual does not have one (active social life), that would be another issue. By the way, never did I state that alcohol is necessary for a "happy life".

It doesn't really matter. Your comment was in direct reply to someone's question about alcohol related to the level of someone's happiness. Your original analogy was poor. I have absolutely no clue why you seem to hone in so much on alcohol-related issues. No one, regardless of their decisions on lifestyle, needs alcohol to be happy.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy