University?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: University?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:16 pm

talon1579 wrote:Is that because Rafe de Crespigny or whatever his name is worked there? I looked him up, apparently he's retired now.

Well thats how I found out about it. When I was reading GoTS I checked out the rest of the site and found out that it was a Uni site. Yeah its a shame his retired but apparently he still has quite strong links with the place.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:24 pm

I wouldn't count on it until you've made a name for yourself and have a definite project. Retired professors may still give occasional lectures and courses, and may serve as advisers for research students, but you'd have to have a really good reason for them to give you any attention.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:38 pm

I don't expect him to take any intrest in me, not for a few years anyway, but it still has the reputation and many good professors. After all Rafe wouldn't of been attracted there in the first place with out good reasons would he?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Huang Chao » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:16 am

Sun, I think that your ambition is a good thing. It will serve you well. However, be sure to follow up with intensity and drive, and ensure that when you begin to approach professors that your drive and achievement are apparent.

Here in the United States, a famous professor of the caliber of de Crespigny would have literally dozens of graduate students per year knocking on his door hoping to be one of the one or two students that will be accepted to study with him or her in that year. These are students who for the most part could be expected to have top-notch grades, top-notch language qualifications, top-notch undergraduate research projects, and generally be the top scholars in whatever undergraduate programs that they come from.

As such, you ought to begin -- as soon as possible -- making sure that you stand out in your undergraduate program. Especially if you are considering approaching a famous RETIRED professor, then you probably had better ensure that you are one of the most interesting and promising students that he has ever come across! You will be well served to come up with options B, C, D, E, and F, just to make sure that you have choices lined up for you -- after all, more than one graduate student has had an adviser perish on them. This is not a situation that you want to find yourself in, if possible!

I'm not trying to discourage you, or come down on you. Academia is a cutthroat world, and if you even think that you might want to work in the field, then you are better served to be aware of that now so that you can consider your trajectory.
Huang Chao
Apprentice

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:56 am

Huang Chao wrote:after all, more than one graduate student has had an adviser perish on them. This is not a situation that you want to find yourself in, if possible!

My dad's PhD adviser (not even a retired prof) died right before my dad finished.

I think Sun Fin's point is that even if ANU doesn't have de Crespigny, it would at least have a contingent of people who are interested in the same subject or have the resources for such research. I think it's a great idea to look at universities beyond one's own country, but do TONS OF RESEARCH and be realistic about funding your education. You don't want to be stuck in a foreign country where the school turns out to be different from what you envisioned, and don't have the money to make the next step.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Lady Wu wrote:
Huang Chao wrote:after all, more than one graduate student has had an adviser perish on them. This is not a situation that you want to find yourself in, if possible!

My dad's PhD adviser (not even a retired prof) died right before my dad finished.

I think Sun Fin's point is that even if ANU doesn't have de Crespigny, it would at least have a contingent of people who are interested in the same subject or have the resources for such research. I think it's a great idea to look at universities beyond one's own country, but do TONS OF RESEARCH and be realistic about funding your education. You don't want to be stuck in a foreign country where the school turns out to be different from what you envisioned, and don't have the money to make the next step.

Yeah thats what I was trying to say. To be honest I'm doubtful I'd get in, I'll apply in the same way many do to Oxbridge on the odd chance of being excepted. My cousin is living in Australia for an 'extended gap year' (as in permantly) so if I do decide to apply I will have a chance to look around when I visit him. (Yes I know Australia's a big place but he isn't very far at all from the University). I've had Nottingham recommended to me for Asain history to which is something I'm going to look in to and Ive got a few other idea's to look in to.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby talon1579 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:17 pm

Don't apply to Oxbridge unless you think you have a chance. You only get 5 choices now (down from 6), don't waste one. Oxbridge is not the be-all and end-all of of unis. In fact, for History, I believe Durham is thought to be equal if not better than them.
talon1579
Changshi

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:42 pm

I'm not going to apply to Oxbridge, I was saying I'd apply to 'ANU College of Asia and the Pacific' instead. But I've found another good course, Pacific Asain Studies and History at Leeds. I'll keep you all up to date as I imagine there will be other scholars intrested in studing 3K at Uni other the next few years.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:23 pm

So I applied and have now got all my offers back!

The School of Oriental and African Studies as Talon suggested is my first choice and I got an offer back from them to do History today! So I'm very excited :D. Yeah I think thats all :lol:.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:11 am

Sun Fin wrote:So I applied and have now got all my offers back!

The School of Oriental and African Studies as Talon suggested is my first choice and I got an offer back from them to do History today! So I'm very excited :D. Yeah I think thats all :lol:.

Excellent, Sun Fin! Congratulations! :D
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy