Teaching/ Parenting/ Learning.

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Parents today- do they teach and push enough?

Yes, I'm a parent and I push very hard (so do my friends)/ I'm a child and I feel very pushed (so do my friends)!
5%
Yes- people push their kids quite hard/ I feel pushed quite hard
11%
Yes, but not too hard pushed.
16%
I feel it's average.
21%
No, parents dont really push hard enough in general.
16%
No, parents today really dont push hard enough- I feel it's a problem.
32%

Total votes : 19

Re: Teaching/ Parenting/ Learning.

Unread postby SunXia » Mon May 23, 2011 6:41 pm

In my opinion, today is aworld of extremes when it comes to education!! I either see too much pressure put on Kids to do well or ese I see not enough encouragement from Parents who have grown up in run-down areas and just don't give a toss about their children's future!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Orochi42 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:09 pm

I'm a student and sixteen, I feel pushed by my parents, but to the right amount, they encourage me to do my best, they support me in all academic endeavours, such as going in to school at hour or an hour and a half early four days a week in the run up to exams.

However I find them pushing me, while helpful and a clear sign they consider my best interests, somewhat inconsequential, because I push myself, hard. I've just started my break for summer and I'm already planning my reading, both in and out of subjects, I'm planning to teach myself a full module I'm going to be examined on, and various other things to that effect.

And that's where I think the key is, at least as time goes on, the ability to motivate yourself to do better than you thought you could, and to break down any barriers you perceive around your own ability to succeed. It's doing that that has me considering an Oxbridge application, something which some teachers have encouraged, and thinking about going abroad to do post-graduate work in the Ivy League. It's motivating myself that had me writing a 5000 word essay comparing American history and literature in the 20th century, and generally trying to be the best student I can, despite not being the smartest.

So, yes, I believe parents should push their children hard to succeed, but I believe the ultimate key to success is in the ability to motivate yourself.
Orochi42
Tyro

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:30 pm

I'm thirteen, and I'm pushed quite hard in everything (academics, athletics, the arts, health) and I find that it is an excellent way to raise a child. It enforces discipline, hard work, perseverance, and responsibility. It also prepares kids for the real world which is nothing like the soft easy life given to many privileged children nowadays.

Lord Yang Jiahua wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:My mind works differently to yours GuoBia unfortunly. I'm scared of coming off as slow so I make it look like I put in minimal effort so if I do fail I can always be like, 'well its blats cos I wasn't working'. Its really stupid cos it means I'm constantly under achieving and people might think I'm academic cos I manage to blag decent results in each exams but they lose respect for me as a person cos of my awful work ethic. Yet despite the fact I know all this I still haven't been able to turn it around!
weird, im pretty close to that, only my version of minimal effort is about a 2.6 GPA which technically isn't bad, and will get me to a nice college, but it does piss my father off from time to time.
One thing i noticed is kids parents pressuring them, and two things happening, the kid becomes a star student or becomes an epic flop good for nothing, who gets more refferals than C's.Also i see a lot of kids misinterperting pressure from parents, i at least know my dad pressures me because he cares bout my future and wants to see me do well. Thoughts People? Sorry if im offending anyone...(random thought , but did Guo suddenly just pick up this long dead thread because she was bored or what?.)

The reason for the extreme success or epic flop is because no matter how hard the parents push, it all is actually down to the kid to make the good decision.
"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:47 pm

We'll I'm currently fifteen, and here's my insight on the topic.

Growing up, I had a single mom, who pretty much did the same thing your doing with your child. She would read to me every night, have me read a couple chapters, and would have me be active. Because of that, my mind adapted to school learning a lot faster and easier as a kid, and I surpassed most of my peers who went about with their activities and mostly looked forward to things like 'nap time' and gym, lunch etc instead of real classes. I also stayed fairly skinny, while some of my class mates became obese (though I later became overweight, and then average now).

I'd say I've been pushed hard, but I ended up a lot better then many of my peers in school at the time and presently, I should add.

With my learning environment here at New York in a newly founded high school..I feel like it's almost as if the kids who weren't pushed hard enough as children take away the learning intake and experience for kids like me and my peers that actually want to learn, who want to achieve a successful career, not just go to school to hang out with friends and socialize, gossip, and do drugs. Understand, many of them (the kids who I believe weren't pushed hard enough) act ridiculous, often getting the class off task, causing teachers to yell and thus making kids who want to learn: not learn little to anything throughout the day. That's been my whole school year, summed up pretty much.

I turned out just fine by guidance with my parent who pushed me hard enough, if not even better academically and physically, so I'd encourage you to keep doing so with your child. But I agree that this is a serious problem with parents in the US, I look around my classroom and wonder if any of these students who talk of dropping out because 'school's a drag' will get decent jobs and make an affordable living, while as I'm ensured to at least have a decent future and will get somewhere if I keep being on task. Sometimes discipline and control are good, especially in this scenario.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Semiazas » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:50 pm

Yes, I do feel pushed by my parents. And I do feel that it can help, if it is done to a certain extent.
Of course it adds extra pressure, because, to an extent, you feel like you need to impress or live up to the expectations of those that push you. Which is why I feel it only works if it is done to a certain extent, to much and it becomes a problem, stresses you out and therefore you'll suffer for it.

Being pushed can work as a motivator, as it gives you
a) Something to aim for
b) Something to surpass

Personally, I always try to surpass it, so that's a form a self motivation - which I believe is also key to any form of success.
However, the problem with that is that, if you're pushing yourself to do more than others are pushing you to do, it's possible you'll set your own standard too high and find that your best is not good enough to try and reach what you're aiming for. It's not great when that happens, as I'll admit I've been through that phase before.
Semiazas
Apprentice

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy