Read any good books lately?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Emily » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:42 pm

Tirranek wrote:Another person who loves the Illiad! I've always been moved by the scene before, when his child is terrified of him because he's wearing his helmet. Also when Hektor finds Paris prancing about outside, made me really not like paris.

I wonder how they'll do things in the movie?

I agree with you an the scene between Axtyanax and Hektor. I can't help but tear up becaue I know what's going to happen to the poor child in the end. And yes, I too loathe Alexandros. (Not only is it his fault they had to die in the first place, but I really despise that he is such a coward.)

I hadn't heard anything on them making a movie. Do you have any details on it?

Pang Shiyuan wrote:Still trying to find a copy of 1492. It's a book about Zheng He's voyages, and how the author has proof that he was the first to discover America before Chris Columbus did and Australia as well.

Another fact is that a tribe of isolated South Americans was found speaking a dialect of chinese.

Chinese dialect in South America...now that's interesting. I'll have to look into that. I've never heard of the book, but it sounds fascinating. Might I ask who the author is?
"The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused." --Shirley Maclaine
Emily
Texas Tornado

Unread postby Cao Ren » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:58 pm

Ya i just finished reading a pretty good book on WWII, it was called WWII lol
Cao Ren
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kül Tigin » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:02 pm

Captain_Emily wrote:The Crusades Through Arab Eyes by Amin Maalouf. Excellent book. Really opened my eyes to the bias of most historical accounts.

But please note that Maalouf is not accurate in most of his work; did you read Samarkand?
Admin of SHF
Kül Tigin
Khaghan of the Türüks

Unread postby Pang Shiyuan » Sat Apr 19, 2003 6:38 am

Captain_Emily wrote:Chinese dialect in South America...now that's interesting. I'll have to look into that. I've never heard of the book, but it sounds fascinating. Might I ask who the author is?

Still looking for it, can't remember the Author's name though...

Apparently, he spent years researching and compiling data before he decided to publish the book...
Pang Shiyuan
凤雏先生

Unread postby Emily » Sat Apr 19, 2003 6:47 am

Bilge Khaghan wrote:
Captain_Emily wrote:The Crusades Through Arab Eyes by Amin Maalouf. Excellent book. Really opened my eyes to the bias of most historical accounts.

But please note that Maalouf is not accurate in most of his work; did you read Samarkand?

Actually darlin', Maalouf works with a lot of old texts, a few are even first-hand accounts. However, I really don't think that he's aiming for accuracy per se, but rather to offer an Arab counterpart to the extreme bias of first-hand Christian accounts.

As a westerner raised on the strictly Christian view of the Crusades, I believe that his mode of retelling the old accounts actually had a greater effect on me than just reading the facts would have. It's really quite a culture shock, and almost comical to compare the two in places.

Pang Shiyuan wrote: Still looking for it, can't remember the Author's name though...

Apparently, he spent years researching and compiling data before he decided to publish the book...

Don't worry about it- at least not on my account- but I'd still really appreciate it if you'd tell me whenever you find it.
"The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused." --Shirley Maclaine
Emily
Texas Tornado

Unread postby Kül Tigin » Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:17 pm

Well, Captain, I can't say anything about his book on Arab View of Crusades; but I must say that Samarkand was a terrible book in means of historical reality; does anyone want me to give a few examples? :)
Admin of SHF
Kül Tigin
Khaghan of the Türüks

Unread postby Emily » Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:09 pm

Bilge Khaghan wrote:Well, Captain, I can't say anything about his book on Arab View of Crusades; but I must say that Samarkand was a terrible book in means of historical reality; does anyone want me to give a few examples? :)

I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about it. Who is the author, and is it a first-hand account? If so, I can imagine that it would be pretty one-sided, like the Maalouf text. However, it's still not as biased as some of the first hand Christian accounts I've seen (such as the description of the "tyranny" and "brutality" of the "pagan" "barbarian" Saladin and his army in the recapture of Jerusalem- any history person knows that this isn't true :roll: ) But that's probably due to the fact that Maalouf wrote in 1980 and for a western audience, while the Christians were writing from the midst of the action.
Emily
Texas Tornado

Unread postby Kül Tigin » Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:00 pm

Well, Samarkand is a novel, therefore, probably there were no real first-hand sources used :lol:
Admin of SHF
Kül Tigin
Khaghan of the Türüks

Unread postby Kül Tigin » Mon Apr 21, 2003 5:06 pm

Btw, Samarkand is also written by Maalouf; it's about the life of poet Omar Khayyam and the story of his famous work, the Ru'baiyya (sp?). It takes place in two different times; one in the early 20th century and the one in late 11th century Persia under Selchukid Turkish rule 8-)
Admin of SHF
Kül Tigin
Khaghan of the Türüks

Unread postby Phoenix » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:57 pm

I've been reading "The Darwin Awards." For those that don't know, it's about people who make stupid mistakes and remove themselves from the gene pool. For example, a man that looks into a gasoline can with a lighter. Or, the sword swallower who swallows an umbrella, only to press the button that opens it. :lol: The book is really funny.
"Stay hungry, experience all that you can, push your horizons out as far as you can get them."

Youtube Channel
Phoenix
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy