Read any good books lately?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: Read any good books lately?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat May 05, 2018 9:34 am

One of, if not my definitive, favourite authors released a new book at Christmas. Bernard Cornwell departed from his traditional theme of war based historical fiction to write about Shakespeare's younger brother Richard. That it has taken me several months since its release to purchase and read Fools and Mortals is an indication of my skepticism going into it.

However to my surprise I thoroughly enjoyed it. Proving to me once again that Cornwell is the master of historical fiction - he can make any period interesting! As ever it is incredibly well researched, his descriptions leave you thinking you are literally on the street. Now I'm trying to write in the same genre I have new respect for the level of research he carries out! It is written in the same iconic first person style as his Uhtred and Derfel novels which I adore! I've felt that the yearly publish date of his Saxon Chronicles has seen them slide in quality in recent times, hopefully a break might help with that. This showed none of the lack of editing and overly strict adherence to a deadline of those books.

Would I recommend it? I've read some reviews on amazon where fans of his other books slammed it so it clearly isn't for everyone. If however you like the theater (as I do) and history then this is a great novel. There is action in the plot, more reminiscent of his normal novels as you get further through but I wouldn't read it just for those snapshots. Overall a thoroughly enjoyable read and I've excited at the prospect of a sequel.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy