Read any good books lately?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Re: Read any good books lately?

Unread postby Kayzr » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:05 am

Sun Fin wrote:I love the Sharpe series! Both TV and books are among my favourite things!

Bernard Cornwell, when writing some of the later novels in the Sharpe series, was inspired by Sean Bean's portrayal of Sharpe. 8-)
Let us begin with Zeus, whom we mortals never leave unspoken.
For every street, every market-place is full of Zeus.
Even the sea and the harbour are full of this deity.
Everywhere everyone is indebted to Zeus.
For we are indeed his offspring.
Kayzr
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:31 pm

Indeed, to the extent that he had Sharpe run away to Yorkshire as a teenager to make Sean Bean's accent cannon. 8-)
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ayame » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:41 am

I'm re-reading Falls the Shadow by Sharon Kay Penman.
Ayame
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:47 pm

I'm currently working my way through Joe Abercrombie's books. Just taking a short break for the new Harry Potter book.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:22 pm

I'm reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms at the moment. I've read it like a hundred times before but not for 6 or 7 years so I'm really enjoying taking a stroll through old memories!
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:33 pm

I've just discovered an author called Lian Hearn (that is a pseudonym).

She writes in a genre that she calls historical fantasy. Like historical fiction it is based in a historic period where the geography, technology and culture are all realistic. Unlike standard historical fiction however that explores real events and tends to follow the achievements of a historical figure (although often told through the eyes of a fictional character - think the Sharpe series - it tells the story of the historical Duke of Wellington but through the eyes of the fictional Sharpe) all her characters are completely fictional.

Anyway I picked up book 1 of a series that is based in medieval Japan. So its about samurai and ninja's etc but with entirely fictional characters! I'll be posting back later to let you know what I thought of it!
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ayame » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:08 pm

I just started The Flame Bearer by Bernard Cornwell. The latest in Saxon series.
Ayame
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:21 pm

Ayame wrote:I just started The Flame Bearer by Bernard Cornwell. The latest in Saxon series.

YES!

I read it within 24 hours of its publication. It's my favourite in the series since the death of King Alfred.
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:37 pm

I've just finished The Dark Tower by Stephen King for the second time! I enjoyed it so much more coming at it from a more mature approach. Well worth reading in my opinion!
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mendedties » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:52 am

I finally got around to reading C.S. Lewis' Until We Have Faces and I am so sorry I put it off as long as I did. Disagree all you wish with the man's conclusions about existence, but the sheer depth and beauty of his writing here is breathtaking. Quite possibly the greatest piece of literature I've ever read.

I've also been slowly making my way through Jordan's Wheel of Time. I believe it was book seven I just finished. It'll be a sad day when I turn that last page. Trying to draw it out as long as I can.
“I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation." -- C.S. Lewis
mendedties
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy