Page 1 of 120

Read any good books lately?

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2002 3:32 pm
by LeilaniCheung
:wink: Hi Everyone!How are you?I'm new and unfamilar here.All the same I was just wondering if and what YOU may be reading.
I've just picked up another book of Adeline Yen Mah's book titled,
"A Thousand Pieces of Gold",A Memoir of China"s Past Through Its Proverbs".What are you reading,and what would you suggest :?:
Later, Leilani

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:23 am
by Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Well, I see you're actually registered now, so nicetameetcha! :D

Anyway, I just got done reading "Desperation" by Stephen King, before that, I read "Black House" by King and Straub, and I'm getting ready to read "The Wizard and Glass" by King (already read these multiple times)...I guess you could say I'm a Stephen King fan :?

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:42 pm
by Shi Jing Xu
J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography. I read it for English. Excellent book! It's by Humphery Carpenter.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:08 am
by James
Crime and Punishment. Great story, can't find a good translation to save my life. Avoid the Modern Library translation like the plague.

I am now reading R.A. Salvatore’s “The Thousand Orcs”.
A wonderful fantasy book in the Drizzt Do’Urden series.
So far the book is marvelous.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 7:35 am
by Zhou Gongjin
I'm reading Doctor Rafe De Crespigny's Generals of the South.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:27 am
by Jimayo
Iznoach wrote:Well, I see you're actually registered now, so nicetameetcha! :D

Anyway, I just got done reading "Desperation" by Stephen King, before that, I read "Black House" by King and Straub, and I'm getting ready to read "The Wizard and Glass" by King (already read these multiple times)...I guess you could say I'm a Stephen King fan :?


You ever read the running man?

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:37 am
by Maria
Zhou Gongjin wrote:I'm reading Doctor Rafe De Crespigny's Generals of the South.


I found that book in the Reference section of the NL. I can't take it out... :x

I've just finished reading the Art of War (Sun Tzu's) and I can kinda see why all these business people recommend this book ;)

I'm reading this "Shanghai Baby" by Wi Hui. This is an adult novel... but who cares. I find this book very interesting. If you care about a woman's journey to find her identity, take this book.

And have anyone read "Memoirs of a Geisha"? I'm searchingg for that book now... Who's the author?

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 8:50 am
by Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Zhou Gongjin wrote:I'm reading Doctor Rafe De Crespigny's Generals of the South.


Is that in English? Please say yes...

Jimayo Oyamitch wrote:You ever read the running man?


Actually, no. I know it's by Bachman (SK's pseudonym), and therefore should be good, but I've never seen it in a store. It's definitely on my list when I finally get my library card though...

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:20 am
by Jimayo
Iznoach wrote:Actually, no. I know it's by Bachman (SK's pseudonym), and therefore should be good, but I've never seen it in a store. It's definitely on my list when I finally get my library card though...


You ever read 1984? Cause I would compare the two. Except The Running Man is far more entertaining, and seems more consistent with the way the world currently is.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2002 9:22 am
by Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
I've never read 1984 either, but I know the jist of the story. Anyway, is "The Running Man" anything like the Ahh-nold movie from the 80's? Or did they screw that up too?