Read any good books lately?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Tianshan Zi » Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:59 pm

Exodus wrote:Musashi by E. Yoshikawa.

This book is amazing, its just...AMAZING. Really, anyone who's in for big thick good stories should definately get this.

Plays in the Japanese Edo period. So anyone who has a fable for samurai's, Kessen 1, and lot's of blood and good storyline, this shouldn't be missing in your collection.

The Musashi is a series of books, correct? I haven't seen them on bookshelves for years... :?
Tianshan Zi
Headless Thompson Gunner

Unread postby Supreme Kai » Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:48 pm

Jen wrote:Books! I love books!

If I had to pick a genre, I'd say I'm a fantasy fan... thanks to JRR Tolkien. I'm currently reading 'The Icewind Dale Triology' by RA Salvatore.. its about Drizzt Do'Urden. Love it!

I read other stuff too..I've read 1984, and Stephen Kings 'Tommyknockers' is one of my favorites...

I you want a real heroic fantasy book, read anything by David Gemmell. Winter Warriors is a good start or Echoes of the Great Song.
Supreme Kai
Apprentice

Unread postby Southland » Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:28 am

I'm looking for books along the lines of The Art of War and Machiavelli's The Prince. Any recommendations?
Southland
Student

Unread postby Kül Tigin » Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:24 pm

Southland wrote:I'm looking for books along the lines of The Art of War and Machiavelli's The Prince. Any recommendations?

Some Furusiya manuals of Mamluks, maybe :lol: 8-)
Admin of SHF
Kül Tigin
Khaghan of the Türüks

Unread postby Davey Vengeance » Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:09 am

I've just read Pat Barkers "Regeneration" that follows the Path of the war Poet Sigfried Sassoon.

Has any body else read this
Forever X

Like Suikoden? Like RPing?
Then please come and join us at CASTLE NORTH WIND
Say Belcoot sent you...see you there. :)
Davey Vengeance
Scholar of Darkness

Unread postby Shi Jing Xu » Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:02 am

This is indeed a pretty juveline book, but good none the less.

"The Lord of the Flies" by William Golding. I am reading it in my English Honors class and I find it very good. Also, I am reading "Watership Down" by Richard Adams (at the same time), and this is a bit odd. It's about rabbits.. :shock:
"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity." ~ Henry David Thoreau
Shi Jing Xu
Hermione G

Unread postby CK » Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:47 am

1688: A global history by John Wills is an extremely enjoyable history book.

While Wills had somewhat failed by assuming that readers knew of the historical context, his selection of a wide array of stories from all parts of the world nonetheless presents an exciting picture of how the world evolves. Indeed, though most of the stories picked happened in 1688, we must note that the causes and effects etc transcend a longer time period.

And why is the period 1688 particularly important? Britain's revolution; the east-west exchange of the Jesuits and Ming/Ching and Tokugawa Japan; the increasing atlantic slave trade; start of concepts of colonization etc etc would make this a compelling read, especially when each story is short.

Do read it if you have an interest in world history.

Truth is always partial

Absense of dream creates nothing but dream creates absense if you do nothing
CK
Changshi

Unread postby Emily » Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:52 am

James wrote:Right now I am reading “Parliament of Whores – A Lone Humorist Attempts to Explain the Entire US Government”. Contrary to the title, it is actually informative and more importantly, funny as hell (yes, I have thought about that phrase).

I too have read that book, and found it rather enjoyable. O'Rourke has a great sense of humor.

As to what I'm reading now (or have read recently), here's a few recommendations.

Lolita by Vladimir Nabakov. A classic, and a personal favorite.

Pedro Paramo by Juan Rulfo. Surrealist novel about how one man's sins doomed a small Mexican town to suffer through an eternal hell-on-earth. (It took me much longer than it probably should have to figure out that all but three of the 30 or so main characters are ghosts.) Might seem confusing at first, but more than worth it when things are explained.

The Iliad by Homer. Reading this for a Classical Lit. class. For anyone who's never read them, I highly recommend both it and the Odyssey. They're wonderful. (I still cry when Hektor dies.)

The Crusades Through Arab Eyes by Amin Maalouf. Excellent book. Really opened my eyes to the bias of most historical accounts.

And last but not least, I'm re-reading Book I of the Three Kingdoms so I can complete my poem on Diaochan.
"The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused." --Shirley Maclaine
Emily
Texas Tornado

Unread postby Tirranek » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:42 am

Captain Emily Wrote:

I still Cry when Hektor dies

Another person who loves the Illiad! I've always been moved by the scene before, when his child is terrified of him because he's wearing his helmet. Also when Hektor finds Paris prancing about outside, made me really not like paris.

I wonder how they'll do things in the movie?
Tirranek
Initiate

Unread postby Pang Shiyuan » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:00 pm

Still trying to find a copy of 1492. It's a book about Zheng He's voyages, and how the author has proof that he was the first to discover America before Chris Columbus did and Australia as well.

One amazing fact is that maize or corn, which is native to South America was introduced into China during the Ming dynasty approximately during Zheng's time...and before that, there was no recorded introduction of the species anywhere in Europe or Asia.

Another fact is that a tribe of isolated South Americans was found speaking a dialect of chinese.
Pang Shiyuan
凤雏先生

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy