Read any good books lately?

Discuss literature (e.g. books, newspapers), educational studies (getting help or opinions on homework or an essay), and philosophy.

Unread postby Kül Tigin » Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:01 pm

Btw, I read Aytmatov's another book, the Mother Earth, which was about the Collective Life of Soviet Kyrghizistan during WWII. It was a good book, IMO. But there were no aliens :P
Admin of SHF
Kül Tigin
Khaghan of the Türüks

Unread postby Inhuman » Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:09 pm

Iznoach wrote:I recently got done reading "The Drawing of the Three" (for like the 15th time :oops: ), and am now about 2/3rd's of the way through "The Wastelands", both by Stephen King. It's just such an awesome story, I seem to be there with Roland and his Gunslingers when I read these...

Me to. They have to be some of the best books I have ever read (The Darktower Series). I just finshed The Gunslinger for the 6th time about a week ago. Another one of my favorites also written by SK is Desperation and The Regulators, and I'm currently reading Desperation again along with The Regulators. The former was written by SK when he used the Richard Bachman pen name.
"If there were no rewards to reap, no loving embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here, I certainly would've walked away by now." -Tool
Inhuman
Assistant

Location: Looking down on the masses from atop the Dark Tower

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Sun Dec 22, 2002 8:02 am

Inhuman wrote:Me to. They have to be some of the best books I have ever read (The Darktower Series). I just finshed The Gunslinger for the 6th time about a week ago. Another one of my favorites also written by SK is Desperation and The Regulators, and I'm currently reading Desperation again along with The Regulators. The former was written by SK when he used the Richard Bachman pen name.

Cool! I just finished "The Waste Lands" tonight while trying to go to sleep, and I think I'll either start reading "The Talisman" or "Black House" tomorrow. Desperation and The Regulators are two excellent works of literature. I first read Desperation, and when I found out that his psuedonym Bachman had written something very similar (The Regulators), I immediately read that, and have since read both about 3 times. They're both great, and I love how they have the same characters, but with different personalities. I'd say my favorite of the two is Desperation though, because the ending (with Johnny in the well, blowing up Tak's lair) is excellent...
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Inhuman » Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:31 am

Iznoach wrote: ......They're both great, and I love how they have the same characters, but with different personalities. I'd say my favorite of the two is Desperation though, because the ending (with Johnny in the well, blowing up Tak's lair) is excellent...

I think Johnny is the best character in both of the books. I too like Desperation better, Tak seems alot more sinister in that one. I just got Insomnia(Hard Cover), another by SK (My personal libary is 30% SK, I can't help it I'm addicted). Its turning out to be another great story.
"If there were no rewards to reap, no loving embrace to see me through this tedious path I've chosen here, I certainly would've walked away by now." -Tool
Inhuman
Assistant

Location: Looking down on the masses from atop the Dark Tower

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:21 am

I just finished (most of) Gao Xingjian' (高行建)s collected plays the Other Shore last week. Dialogue and Rebuttal (对话与反诘) and Between Life and Death (生死界) are my favorites. I'd love to see the plays if they're ever staged in north Cal.

I also read Ding Ling's short story "Miss Sophie's Diary" today. It's just delicious. So I picked up the book from the library. I also got something from Xiao Hong. I was going to get something from Lu Xun as well, but I figured I couldn't read it all in just two weeks.
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Guest » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:56 am

I've just fisnished reading 'Taiko."
Great book about samurai.
Tells about the life of on of the three unifiers of Japan, Toyotomi Hideyoshi. Lots of names though...

Unread postby Kül Tigin » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:33 pm

I'm currently reading the Turkish translation of The Gates of Fire 8-) After finishing it, I'll jump to Zafer Vaadetmeyen Topraklar ("Lands That Don't Promise Victory") which is about the Battle of Ankara fought between Timur & Bayezid and the aftermath of the battle.
Admin of SHF
Kül Tigin
Khaghan of the Türüks

Unread postby Tin God » Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:08 pm

Dragon_Girl wrote:I've just finished reading the Art of War (Sun Tzu's) and I can kinda see why all these business people recommend this book ;)

A good companion read to The Art of War is Zhuge Liang's "The Way of the General: Essays on Leadership and Crisis Management".
"To hold a pen is to be at war." - <i>Voltaire</i>
Tin God
Tyro

Unread postby Maria » Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:44 pm

I read that Zhuge Liang one. And yeah, I can relate to that. I haven't found any good books lately, but then again, I just don't have the time to read. I still have to finish up a chapter from the WW2/Hitler book...
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby Exodus » Sat Mar 15, 2003 3:17 pm

Musashi by E. Yoshikawa.

This book is amazing, its just...AMAZING. Really, anyone who's in for big thick good stories should definately get this.

Plays in the Japanese Edo period. So anyone who has a fable for samurai's, Kessen 1, and lot's of blood and good storyline, this shouldn't be missing in your collection.
I am Sake! I am Tsing Tao Beer! I am Musou Wine! I am Sochu! I am not Sober!
Exodus
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Literature, Academics, and Philosophy